Born with it

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Starfish

New
Reaction score
So a lot of the people I talk to seemed to have developed epilepsy sometime later in life... Anyone else here born with it like me?

I'm sure there are a few on here who have grown up with epilepsy who will chime in. I was only diagnosed at age 22. Jeez... four years ago :O

Me too, for as long as I can remember, I was having seizures. I'm 15, and it's better now. but it's just so integrated into my life I find it hard to relate to people that didn't have them but now do. Because they weren't always epileptic, they know what it's like not to be epileptic. But I don't. I don't know what it's like to not be expecting another seizure. It has shaped a large part of who I am, and still does. Normal for me is living WITH seizures, normal for other people is living AROUND seizures. Idk, I just really wanna talk to people who've had everything they've been and are affected by having epilepsy.... like me.

I wasn't born with epilepsy but had my 1st grandmal seizure when I was about 9 months old, I continued to have grandmals until I was 2 - 3.
I went approx 22 years seizure free until I started having seizures again in 2002 when I was 24.
Even though I don't remember any of my seizures I had as a baby I always knew about the seizures as my family had told me about my epilepsy when I was growing up.

Last edited:
I have had E. all my life, as a child I didn't have the words for it. I tryed my best to tell my mother that I didn't feel good. --don't remember my wording so long ago.

Fast forward I was 18 years old newly married, and my husband said that I scared him with the how I looked when I went to sleep.:ponder:

He got me to a FP, who tranfer to a neur. in Atlanta who diagnosed me and put on medic. at that time.

I so thankful that I married him and he got me the care I was needing.

I had feb seizures as a baby around 9-12 months then had another in 6th grade and and again in 8th grade then no more till 7 years ago then they became constant after my TBI from my bicycle accident.
Mike

What constitutes "born with epilepsy?"

I started having my first seizures, that we know of, at 10 years old. No head trauma or anything. Did my brain chemistry change? What happened? Why all of a sudden?

Personally, I think I was born with it and it just never presented until other things triggered it (nasty divorce between parents, domestic violence, drug abuse and alcoholism in the family).

Could that stress cause epilepsy? I imagine if it did, there would be a significantly larger amount of people with epilepsy/seizures.

Doctors have said I was born with epilepsy. I had seizures as an infant, but my mother didnt know what they were til I had a grand mal seizure at the age of 18 months old. It was then that they did tests and concluded I had epilepsy. Ive been on seizure medications since then. I was having complex partial seizures, based off of the description my mom gave to doctors when I was a baby. But she had no clue what she was seeing was normal or not. I was her first child and she didnt know what she was seeing wasnt normal. I grew up pretty much my whole life with epilepsy.

What constitutes "born with epilepsy?"

I started having my first seizures, that we know of, at 10 years old. No head trauma or anything. Did my brain chemistry change? What happened? Why all of a sudden?

Personally, I think I was born with it and it just never presented until other things triggered it (nasty divorce between parents, domestic violence, drug abuse and alcoholism in the family).

Could that stress cause epilepsy? I imagine if it did, there would be a significantly larger amount of people with epilepsy/seizures.

Born with it would be like growing up with it. Something that greatly influnced who you are from the start, not something that happened to you after went to college or got married or had a kid or something like that. I also started having seizures when I was 10.

I was kinda spacy and my mom thought it was cute. That is why they thought it was so cute.Then at 10 with 103 temp. And the chicken pox I was put in an Ice cold bath tub. to get my fever down. Then later I had one at my moms work, a dental office. and at school. It never bothers me. But it bothers my son.

i think i was...... altho i didnt have tc till about 6 years ago.... when i was young i aways had strange episodes where id be lighthead and dizzy and confused, all tests where normal when they tested me for alot of stuff but im now thinking its been some sort of sezure

Back
Top Bottom