Breakthrough seizures

How many people taking anti seizure medications experience breakthrough seizures?

• I take medication for tonic clonic seizures and I experience breakthroughs.

Votes: 20 40.8%
  • I take medication for complex partials and I experience breakthroughs.

Votes: 20 40.8%
  • I take medication for simple partials and I experience breakthroughs.

Votes: 19 38.8%
  • I take medication for seizures and DO NOT experience breakthrough seizures.

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • I take medications for seizures and I'm not sure if I experience breakthrough seizures.

Votes: 2 4.1%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Karen B,

I've been away from the site for about a week - I had a strained shoulder and couldn't use the computer - but I want to thank you for the information about mono vs poly therapy. I will definitely read that article soon - probably tonight.

antecee

Hiya:O)
Im a newbie to this forum and im so glad i found you...:O)
I was diagnosed 7 years ago with tonic clonic and ive been on lamotrigine/lactimal ever since. I suffer with nocturnal seizures ...usually i feel it when i wake up if ive had a breakthrough via my arms as they feel as if ive been carrying bricks..lol sometimes i feel tired in the morning but not all the time, but my husband usually wakes me up to make sure im ok. The seizures last for 30 secounds there abouts so my hubby tells me but it can vary. Anyone else have Nocturnal seizures? Its quite lonely being an epileptic i think unless you know someone else that suffers too.

I think stress triggers the breakthroughs, what do you guys think?

Im from the uk by the way:O) Lovely to meet you all xxxxx

Last edited:
I'll only increase Fycompa if think might help more

When I talked to my neuro he was suggesting increasing my fycompa
why should I increase something that doesn't do much good?
Belinda

Most of my breakthroughs have been complex partials, but I had a bad tonic-clonic breakthrough recently, bordering on status. That, however, wasn't a true breakthrough - it was because I was travelling and forgot to take my meds with me.

I am seizure free on meds, I have been on three different medications mainly due to side effect issues. I think I may have had a few auras but I don't think I have a good enough understanding of auras to know for your. I have had a few occasions were I had to find a wall to steady as I felt almost like floating or just not being right or "fully there" and things go back to normal.

I think my wife worries more about the seizures than I do. I went into Walmart and instead of being 5 -10 minutes I was 25 - 30 minutes. She said she thought I had a seizure and nobody knew who I was or what to do. She still remembers witnessing my apparently only tonic clonic that was status epilepticus. According to my wife it lasted between 20 - 25 minutes.

Glad to be seizure free but almost feel like another one could happen due to extreme stress at home at times and lack of proper sleep patterns.

No matter which AED I take, I stay seizure free for only a short time. I always seem to average 1-3 Complex Partial seizures/month. I have tried almost every AED available for the types of seizures that I have.

Back
Top Bottom