Briviact - Lashing Out

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Aussie69

Stalwart
Supporter
Reaction score
Hi. Name's Christopher, 48 year old from Australia. Been a member for a while though don't use service much, only when I need other peoples experiences and not information provided on a bit of paper or from a doctors mouth.
Suffered uncontrolled seizures now since a 13 year old, been on pretty much the whole swag of available medications, many for drug trials for which I get used quite often. Currently on Carbamazepine, Dilantin and now Briviact has been added to my arsenal - 2 months ago.
Usually been pretty good with side effects, generally just drowsiness, tiredness sometimes balance and the like.
Today after 34 years have begun lashing out. Took our pet dog for a walk, picked up my mobile and the dog absolutely yanked me to get back to the house. It has set me off. I am bashing it, want to kill it and just can't my hate for it out of my system. Taking it out on other members of the family. Dog refusal started approx 8 hours ago but still fear going near it because I might absolutely smash it. Able to calm when by sitting by myself, but still can't stop lashing out when on my feet talking to other people. Have tried, to walk it off, have had no luck.
I've discovered that Briviact is infact supposed to be better than Keppra and the like for such aggressive behavior which had no problems.
Just simply seeking info to see if anyone has had any such problems.

Hey Christopher --

Briviact is in the Keppra family, so despite its reputation for having fewer mood-related side effects, it still carries that risk. Irritability is listed as a "common side effect." :(

As with Keppra, it may help to take a B6 supplement -- might be worth a try.

I wonder if the other two meds are playing a role -- they all interact! Briviact can significantly increase the Carbamazepine in your system. And wth Dilantin, there's a two-way interaction: Dilantin decreases the levels of Briviact in your system, and Briviact increases the levels of Dilantin (by slowing down its metabolism). So your neuro might need to tweak the doses of all three meds to get them to play nice together.

Some CWE members have had reactions to Briviact similar to yours. Hopefully they will weigh in. In the meantime, here are two posts:

http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/experience-briviact-brivaracetam-27331/
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/being-sent-another-opinion-veeg-questions-27935/

Hi Christopher,

I haven't taken Briviact before but I know when I was taking carbamazepine that drug gave me a hot temper and it didn't work good with any other seizure med for me except mysoline.
Just like you I've been on many different drugs and nothing stopped my seizures so my Epileptologist did a DNA test on me and the test showed I was drug resistant. You may want to ask your Dr. to do the same thing. I was then put on medical marijuana (CBD oil)
and it did wonders for me but what really has helped me more than anything is taking 2 Tablespoons of apple cider vinegar with mother in it and I am amazed at how my seizures have been cut in half this yr. plus the seizures a less severe. I started the vinegar just to lose weigh but it also reduced the seizures. You may want to try that but check with your pharmacist first to be sure it won't interact with any of your seizure meds. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

I had near enough no side effects from being on a maximum dose of Keppra, but like you i've been having problems with briviact.

I get angry and snappy easily, which isn't like me. I have to really bite my tongue but even so sometimes i say something nasty or angry sounding and it's like i'm a different person. I'm holding out hope that this is something that will wear off or i'll end up with no friends left. I've started isolating myself more because i'm worried i'll say something to someone that i don't mean and can't take back.

It's really hard to get a handle on the random anger (or sometimes just crying out of frustration for minor things that usually wouldn't bother me), even though i know it's the medication. I've had medication before - Vimpat - which made me attempt suicide, so i'm trying to keep an eye on myself so if i feel like that again i pull off the drug straightaway.

So... yeah, you're really not alone with this. I've asked my neuro to not increase my dosage anymore until i can see if these side effects are going to even out.

Back
Top Bottom