Bruxism &/or Periodontal Disease

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

elizzza811

Stalwart
Reaction score
Just curious how many of you suffer from bruxism (teeth grinding) and/or periodontal disease?

I have been grinding my teeth since I was a child. I even remember my sister grabbing my jaw in the middle of the night to get me to stop.

I'm 56 now and have periodontal disease. No amount of brushing or flossing has prevented it.

Are either of these common with epileptics? Could oral microorganisms have somehow made their way into our brains???

I have a terrible problem of grinding my teeth at night. I don’t know that it has anything to do with my epilepsy but my neurologist had me get rubber attachment for my teeth at night. Being asleep though, I am not sure how well it actually works :-/

Most periodontal disease has a genetic component, so even if you are a perfect brusher/flosser, it may still show up.

However, some AEDs are to known to affect gum or tooth health. And some cause dry mouth which can in turn affect the gums.

TLE can cause teeth-grinding.

You might want to check out this CWE thread:

I've had bruxism issues in the past and I have also had periodontal issues in the past, pretty badly, too.

I used to get the moldable bite guard for at night when I had teeth grinding issues. I don't do this as much as I used to, but still once in a while according to my husband.

When I was a teenager I know I would grind my teeth and my mom would tell me because of course it's a distressing sound and to think of the damage that does.

I have been able to help my periodontal disease with Shine - Remineralizing Tooth Powder from orawellness.com and I also find that EcoDent floss helps, too. They sell that as well, but sometimes I find that cheaper at a natural food store. Those things have helped a lot. It has also helped me to avoid grains (most bother me anyway), and to be loading up on at least a pound of veggies a day. I find that green juice works for me because I'm sure I don't absorb things as well as I should. I take digestive enzymes when I have my veggies as I am deficient in some of those enzymes.

The way teeth are can be the effects of medication sapping nutrients, not having enough nutrients, not absorbing enough nutrients, eating too much sugar (which also depletes nutrients), eating too much phytic acid foods that aren't prepared thoroughly with soaking and such (Cure Tooth Decay by Ramiel Nagel was a good book with interesting studies, many done by Weston Price).

Although, I still struggle with nutrient deficiencies and staying on top of them has proven to be difficult and I think the medication does set me back as far as nutrients go. My oral health isn't still the best. It seemed to be improving when I wasn't taking the medication for a while (15 months), I had far less issues. Being back on it, I feel like my teeth are getting worse again.

The one time when I actually had amazing teeth while taking medication was when we were getting a local share of veggies from an organic farmer every week and the price was great. We used all those veggies, made it a real habit. My teeth looked amazing, they had never felt better! Unfortunately, the farm didn't last for the long run and we ended up moving away. I know I haven't been eating as many veggies as I need, but I really need to get on top of it again. I'm sure my mouth would thank me.

Best of wishes to you =)

Back
Top Bottom