[Info] Buteyko breathing technique

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Chaz1

New
Reaction score
http://www.normalbreathing.com/d-seizures-treatment.php

90% cure, well not too sure on that one as they would have a queue down street, around corner and down block if this was the case but we are looking into this breathing technique..

I have found local course and discussing/reviewing with my Son (he has E) to see if he wants to try it.

Keeping the options open :)

Anyone tried this?

I remember someone else posted that site on CWE here http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f22/stop-seizures-simple-breath-exercise-10445/

I do believe that breathing is a big part of what helps us control seizures but the Buteyko people make rather extreme claims that have not been properly proven, all on asthma so far. I can sometimes lessen mine by going to my breath when I feel a seizure coming on but when I see claims of helping the kreb cycle or PH in the body I tend to be very suspicious.

The results from these studies have found trends of subjective improvement in factors such as asthma symptoms and measurement of quality of life with use of the Buteyko method and possible reduced rescue inhaler usage.[4] However, these studies have found no improvement in objective measures such as peak flow and FEV1 which are the typical measures for measuring the severity of asthma, or carbon dioxide level in the blood.[6]

Based on these results and the known methodological problems with these studies, most reviews have found the evidence is not strong enough to make firm conclusions about the efficacy of the Buteyko method, and have called for more research, including larger trials involving more patients.[6][7][8][9][10]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buteyko_method#Effectiveness

IMHO there are much more affordable breathing techniques that will do the same thing yet cost less.

I agree with Eric. I am a breath holder when I have seizures. Simple partials included. Eric told me to try counting backwards and force myself to remember to breathe during it. when I manage to do that, the seizure ends faster and seems to be less exhausting.

thanks Eric and Rae! For the great feedback.

going to pass the breathing while counting backwards tip to my son..

re. the counting

What one of my neurologists told me was to count backwards by 2's starting at 99. I never get very far but it's the act of mentally processing (or trying to anyway) rather than just counting by memory that helps slow the momentum of the seizure.

Also when breathing to breathe deep, hold it for a few seconds before exhaling slowly. It's when I do this that I realize how much faster during a seizure my breathing & heart are working.

Back
Top Bottom