Camera Flash - Problems?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
We took pictures over Mother's Day and my son withdrew for a while after the flash and said he was really tired. He went from energetic and chatty, to very quiet and withdrawn within a minute. Could something have misfired in his brain as a result of the camera flash? He had an abnormal response to photic stimulation during his EEG.

Thanks so much.

Flashes or other kinds of strobes or patterns can trigger migraines and/or seizures, so it is possible that that's what happened with your son, especially if he's tested as being photosensitive.

I am photosensitive, I cannot tolerate camera flashes either. I usually take pics and skip having my photo taken.

Here are some other things to look out for:

If you have photosensitive epilepsy, certain types of flickering or flashing light may incite a seizure. The trigger could be exposure to television screens due to the flicker or rolling images, computer monitors, certain video games or TV broadcasts containing rapid flashes, even alternating patterns of different colors, in addition to intense strobe lights.

And surprisingly, seizures may be triggered by natural light, such as sunlight, especially when shimmering off water, even sun flickering through trees or through the slats of Venetian blinds.

When I first got diagnosed, I didn't fully understand how different light sources could trigger my seizures. My son asked me to go with him to the Batman movie with Heath Ledger. The movie triggered a seizure. I don't go to movie theaters anymore...but have found I can safely watch movies on TV at home.

Thank you for this information. We believe that he has had 2 seizures while watching a rear projection tv. We have a plasma tv at home and he seems to have no problems with it. The projection at the movie theatre may be what triggers your seizures as well. What type of tv do you have at home?

We have decided not to take him to the movies for now especially not to a 3D movie.

It doesn't appear that many people are photosensitive so we really appreciate you taking the time to provide us with some insight.

I have a HD TV at home...but it is not one of the BIG ones!
I go to a large mega church that has rock band and does a lot of lights during the sermon. I have found if I sit too close to stage, it can trigger a seizure as well. I usually sit in the back. Also, it seems the red flashing lights are the worst, I usually wear my sunglasses when they start that.
I know there are a lot of light sources that can trigger seizures, but I have tried via trial and error to determine which ones are triggers for me personally. I do miss seeing movies at the theater, but when I weigh that over not having a seizure...it's a no brainer! LOL
jenn

Add to the list flickering candles, and ceiling fans when going at the right speed. :(

i've never been triggered by just one flash, but more than one or 2 in a row sets me off. maybe he's just a little more sensative than i am.

and endless, thanks for the post. i knew staring at the ceiling fan made me feel a little off, but i had no idea why

Thanks for the info. We took two pictures in succession; after which he withdrew. Have you had an MRI or CT scan? That is coming up next for us. I

Hi

Flashes bother my daughter. Sometimes bright sunlight does too. An occiptal seizure may follow.

Take Care:e:

Thanks for the info. We took two pictures in succession; after which he withdrew. Have you had an MRI or CT scan? That is coming up next for us. I

yes i had an mri done. how old is your son? if he's young, it's probably best to have him sedated and asleep for it. you can't move or blink and that was impossible for me and they had to keep redoing it.

Back
Top Bottom