Cameras..........any recommendations?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Asia wouldn't know what a Rebel is because it is an American brand name that Canon came up with, you cannot buy them in the UK either.

There is not really much you can do with 12mp that you can't do with 10mp, it is only to do with the size the pictures will blow up to before becoming pixelated, my 400d is only 6mp and the pictures can be enlarged to a huge size (I have them larger then poster size on my living room wall) my small sony compact is 8mp and doesn't enlarge half as well.

I would never go for a Sony SLR, because you would be stuck with beying sony accessories which can be very expensive.

I am back from Hong Kong now, got in around 9:30 p.m. last night. We are tired! Spending 24 hours, each way, in an airport/on a plane wears you out, let me tell you! Each way consisted of 1) getting up at 4:30 a.m. to get dressed and to the airport to be checked in and ready for a 9:00 a.m. flight (we live about 80 miles from the airport) 2) flying to the "international"ly qualified airport, a 3.5 hour flight 3) a 3 hour layover at the international aiport 4) a 14.5 hour flight overseas 5) 2 hours to get off the plane, get our luggage, catch a cab to the hotel/house...........all said, each way took a complete 24 hours. And, I do not sleep well in those uncomfortable seats with babies screaming the whole way, especially on 727/737's that have the high back on them.

So, anyway, I looked at alot of cameras in many malls, etc. in Hong Kong. I looked at all kinds of cameras........none had the 40D. After all was said and done, I ended up buying a "used" camera from my sister-in-law. It is a Canon 400D, like CrazyMonkeys'. It is good enough, for now, for what I like to do and for only $250.00, it was a steal. Even though it is used, I know who used it and how they treat cameras. On top of that, even if the shutter wears out, I can have it fixed/replaced for less than a new one would have cost in the first place. I found places that fix/repair shutters for around $250-$300 dollars.

So, here are a few of my photos, let me know what you think.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e1/Kabo1313/_MG_3651.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e1/Kabo1313/_MG_3662.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e1/Kabo1313/_MG_3695.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e1/Kabo1313/_MG_3727.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e1/Kabo1313/IMG_4040-1.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e1/Kabo1313/IMG_4068.jpg

Keep in mind that the buildings in the background are HUGE! and that the fireworks are 3/4 of the way across the harbour, closer to them than to us. Each firework was so big that it would, easily, have covered 2 city blocks and loud enough to shake the camera. It sounded like a war going on!

As far as the camera, it was my first night shoot and I still have a looooooong way to go on figuring everything out.

Hi Texas

I am still going strong with my 400d, no problems so far and I have been using it since 2004 and it has been round the world with me in my backpack. You're right there is a lot of figuring out to be done with settings on SLR's but they are also very good as a point and shoot, the one I am currently trying to figure out is how to shoot the Aurora next year, I am checking peoples sites for tips, because I think this one is going to be a serious challenge. Are you planning on using large lenses?

For night shots - I know they can be a pain to carry around, but tripods are very useful because of the slow shutter speed that is sometimes required

I have inserted some pics of the moon below which I was using a 500mm lense and 3 different settings, see the colour differences.

Have fun learning to use your new camera, its cool you've got the same one as me.

Attachments

• IMG_8190.JPG
    IMG_8190.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_8171.JPG
    IMG_8171.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_8174.jpg
    IMG_8174.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 1
Yes, I do plan on getting some newer, bigger lenses. I have several good, large lenses for my Minolta, up to a 350 mm and plan on getting lenses, at least equal, to those. My sister-in-law letting me borrow her, very flimsy, camera stand for the fireworks shoot but I have a much, much better, stronger, larger one here at the house.

I want to learn how to take good night shots, good fast action shots, etc. I still do not see how you got such shots as the orca. I cannot get the camera to work that fast. Must be something with adjusting the shutter speed?

I have alooooot of pictures on my 2Gb card...over 1200, on my last calculation. Lots of experimenting.

What do you think of the pictures? I tried to enlarge them but did not do too good of a job on Photobucket. I just read the South China Morning Post saying that they spent $4,000,000 on the fireworks alone!

An Orca breaching is the most difficult shot I have ever taken, for one thing you do not know where in the water it is going to appear from so when it does appear you have to move quickly I crank the shutter up to the fastest the camera will go and use the landscape setting. Also you have got to make sure the sea is level, because it doesn't run downhill, it takes a lot of practice to hold a large lense steady without the use of a tripod, I know it took me a while.

I took a look a few mins ago at your pics, fireworks are hard to get pictures of with an SLR unless you have the correct setting so you done a good job on getting those, just a hint - make sure the water level is horizontal in your pics to make them perfect :eek:), the bridge was a good pic, nice strong colours and focused well, but this is as I would come to expect from a 400d.

If you want to work your way up to an orca breaching (this pic was taken in the san juan island off Seattle) have a go with some action pics of different animals domestic or wild. I would be interested to see when you done some. Like you said it is just experimentation needed now.

Just remember, your camera and you are capable of doing very good pictures, it just takes a bit of practice and sometimes luck

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom