can anyone help re: purple foam at the mouth NOT during a T.C.?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

qtowngirl

CWE Supporter/E Hater
Supporter
Reaction score
one of my oldest friends became a stepmom last year, one of her steps being a nine-year-old girl. not long before christmas (of course!) they were all at home and bam, she had a seizure and fell down the stairs. since then there has been two (2nd being a t.c. xmas eve, nice :(), and a recent third after a sleep-deprived eeg. THIS is the one i'm a bit stumped over.
it wasn't a convulsion, was quick, had all the signs of being an absence, EXCEPT- purple foam coming out of her mouth. ANY ideas? i researched that due to absences and other possibilities and found nothing. foam/drool always seems related to a t.c. only. so... anyone know?
the following is the email i sent her to get a baseline of info before going into the pediatric neuro...

-was she completely alert after?
The first time she was confused and not making sense for a bit after. The second time she was ok and then went right back to sleep, same with the last time.
-did she have any awareness what just happened or seem to carry right on as if it didn’t (i assume b/c of the foaming she knew something happened, but other than the foam did she know)?
I believe she knew what had happened but of course doesn't remember anything.
-was she out of it and tired after, or felt fine and went about the day?
She was tired but fine the night we went to the hospital after the first one and after the second one she slept. The third she went to sleep for hours but that's after they did the test and she hadn't had any sleep.
-did she feel nauseous or throw up anytime after? No, she didn't get sick.
-during seizure was there eye blinking, head bobbing, or jerky movements of the face or lips?
Not sure about this one [they weren't there for this seizure, it was her mom so i've asked her to ask].
-though it wasn’t thought to be convulsive, did her limbs shake or look jerky?
Just turned purplish and foamed at the mouth and it lasted 15 sec.
-what position was she in, laying down or sitting up and if sitting did she slump over during?
She was sitting up sleeping in the vehicle [she's looking into the slumping over].

alot of it also seems like a complex (she has said w/the first two chloe was a bit out of it, staring first), except the purple foam. anything you can suggest is great, thanks!

Last edited:
My best guess would be complex partial. If the seizure stopped just before it became a tonic clonic, the stomach may have been pushing a little up. The purple color may have to do with whatever was in her stomach at the time.

court- not long before she started on keppra. any relation you think?

sperlo- i agree due to her certain actions, just not sure about the purple. may have even started with a simple, as the tummy more often than not goes off then too.
i'll ask her if there's any chance she had been chewing on/eating something purple-ish prior, maybe candy or something. thanks!

nah, potigia, maybe. it turns things purple.

but sperio, had a much more reasonable option.

Back
Top Bottom