Can I Borrow Some Sugar?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I have an excess of Lemons, and I need to borrow some sugar.

Anyway; it has been several months since I last signed on. Since then I just seem to keep having problems, seizures, and hurting myself.

I am currently healing from a bad fall that I had while walking up a hill. I was on my way home and taking a short cut to the parking lot when I rolled my ankle 'POP' and when I had thought my foot just broke off, I took all the weight off of it; and basically let myself fall straight sideways and onto some bushes.

I bruised my entire left rib cage, and clasped 3% of my left lung in the process of spraining my ankle.

10 days and 2 hospital trips later, I have a lung that filled up with blood over night, and before I knew it, I was in a helicopter and on my way to a better hospital to have an emergency procedure to clean out my lung and have a chest tube installed (haha) that let the pleural bloods and fluids drain out from my innards. I even got to have a seizure while in the hospital... one that no one knew about until the next day of screaming pain and confusion.

I have been out of the hospital for 3 days I believe; after being stuck in an uncomfortable Hill-Rom for over a week, my old bed feels like a fluffy white cloud. I am still in serious amounts of pain, and I have some big holes in my side that can't heal fast enough for me.

My problem is that I keep falling and hurting myself in some sort or another...

I am not sure about the rest of us, but I am finding it difficult to cope with 'The Epilepsy' as I call it. Not to mention the bruises on my self esteem and ego.

I have been banned from what seems like all the activities I love. such as driving my z28, and building up things to go faster than they were ever meant to go haha. I got some very nice new bicycles to help me get around in absence of a street rod; and I have had a number of accidents on them which are not doing my body good. I have not even been able to handle college classes which I used to love. All my problems were too much for my ex to deal with also, and I was asked to move out; so I am having trouble with love as well... I mean, now I am wondering who wants to start a serious relationship with someone who cant work, go to school, drive, ride a bike, or even freaking walk without hurting himself?

I have been reading and searching and looking for things that the rest of us do to "cope" .... but all I find are things like, what drugs do you take?, what food do you eat?, what surgery do you want?, what do you think about this or that.

But I don't really see how or with what, you are coping.

I am beginning to finally accept 'The Epilepsy' but, it seems to leave me out on my A$$. What do you car guys do instead of work on cars? awesome cars and garages full of tools only seem to depress me now. I can forget about ever piloting an airplane again, or any of the things that I grew up loving.

Forgive me, but I need more options than going back home to sit on my mom's couch, popping pills, and surfing the internet. I have a need for speed, a need for power, a thirst for knowledge, and an inability to leave anything stock or unmodified. What do I replace that with?

What can I do for fun and enjoyment now? I do not want to feel crippled any longer!

Does anyone have any ideas, any activities, anything that they think I would enjoy as much as dropping the clutch and launching down the drag strip, or flying my friend's Pitt's stunt plane? I need some more action than pills, hospitals, walking, taking pictures, or whatever else. Give me something hands on please.

Thank you for reading,
-BWz

p.s. Please bring some sugar to throw at my lemons (thats how you make lemonade right? you throw stuff?) :paperbag:

Last edited:
Wow, BWz,

you've had quite the rough go of it lately, and I'm sooooo very sorry for that. Man, oh man, I can't even imagine some of the pain you've been going through...:paperbag:

Your ex is a nitwit for not knowing what a strong willed person she is giving up. That's a big loss on her part.

Hmmmm. Need for speed, huh? Well, there are simulation programs you can use, but that would depend on whether or not you're photosensitive or not. Why not help be one of the testers for those simulators? Some simulators are used to train pilots, professional race car drivers, etc.

You might as your neurologist as well as your pharmacist to check to make sure that there are no interactions going on amongst your meds causing your problems. Also, ask your neurologist for some balance testing, and maybe a referral to an ENT to be checked for a mild case of vertigo.

Take care.

Meetz
:rock:

Last edited:
thank you very much for the kind words and ideas. having my balance tested is actually at the top of my, and my family's list of things to do.

I am not photosensitive, and I will see how I feel about things after I get back into some racing simulators.

thank you again for the things that you said, it meant a lot to me. It is difficult when those who are closest to you, don't have faith in you.

Karma +1
-BWz

You're very welcome. Don't forget to check out some flying simulators, too.

And don't give up on the female race. We're not all idiots, I promise. :bigsmile::bigmouth::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Hi there,
Lots of sugar for you, as much as you need. Here's hoping you heal fast from all that unpleasantness. You're doing the right thing by asking questions, staying focused on finding the things that make you happy. Depending on how controlled you feel on the meds, there are all sorts of things you can do. Have you ever tried a zipwire? Flying through the air, but hooked in, so risks are minimal. Can you do water sports? Tubing, waterskiing, sailing, and windsurfing are awesome -- tremendous speed and power involved. If you don't want to be alone, sailing is great -- two folks racing a sailboat, leaning out against the wind, very satisfying. No worries about footwork or balance, you can be sitting the whole time.

That's for starters, if I think of more I'll pass them on.
Cheers!
Nakamova

haha, I never said anyone was an idiot... but, sometimes it seems that way :p I will keep my eyes open, and we'll see what happens.

as far as the Zipline thing goes, that does sound fun. reminds me of my childhood. my friend and I had a treehouse that had a zipline and pully that we would use to get out of the tree haha; way more fun than climbing back down.

and watersports is actually what I have had in mind. I wish that I had not sold my waverunner when I left for college. If I got another waverunner, at least if i fall off (and thats half the fun) I would fall into squishy water and not onto hard concrete. And if the unspeakable were to happen... life vests make you float upright. However, fortunately, my Grand Mals seem to come out at night, or morning; when my protein levels are low, and I need rest.

Keep Em Comin,
-BWz

I'm sort of learning to cope now.

I've been trying to get fit and lose some weight lately, but after a couple of falls off my bike due to absences I'm not supposed to go out on my own on it anymore. (I used to say it was killing me because of the exercise my legs weren't used to lol). I loved feeling the wind in my hair and going really fast down the seafront in Blackpool.

I can't go swimming on my own, i feel unable at the moment to go get my own flat although that's because i'd feel unsafe rather than being told that i shouldn't.

I also miss my 2hour long baths with a good book and a bottle of wine. And for an Irish person to be told they shouldn't drink anymore? I work with adults with learning disabilities and i can no longer work without another member of staff present.

I had a provisional (Learner's) driving license, which i had to had back to the DVLA.

But after a while when i got used to all these things, it doesn't seem so bad. I'm lucky that i can still work my job - with restrictions imposed by the company to protect myself and the people i support - even though i've now asked for a reduction in working hours. Also, everyone there has first aid training as a "must" for the job. I find that i don't really miss alcohol and i can still go swimming etc when either my brother or my mum is available to go with me. We're a pretty close family.

I got a free bus pass so i could get to and from work easily. I found out that the council can help with getting me a flat where my brother could move in too, so i wouldn't be on my own all the time.

My "restrictions" here are small things, but they were important to me. There were some things i was planning on doing once i got a bit fitter and lost some weight (it's going great by the way so far!) such as scuba diving, amusement parks, a holiday abroad to perhaps America. These things i don't have to think about right now though, and the only thing that i was really told i couldn't do was scuba-diving.

I hope you find out the cause of your balance problems soon, and that you find some speedy activities you can get your teeth into :banana:

I have always considered what I could do, instead of what I couldn't. What I could eat, instead of what I couldn't. It tends to open up doors, not close them.

I have always considered what I could do, instead of what I couldn't. What I could eat, instead of what I couldn't. It tends to open up doors, not close them.

Thats exactly the attitude i'm trying to take on at the moment. :agree:

Back
Top Bottom