[News] Caution with supplements

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

epileric

Veteran
Reaction score
I just read this & was appalled.

Everyone be careful!

Zhou had reason to soothe the buyers' concerns. His supplements were not simply made of herbs and other natural ingredients; they contained a pharmaceutical drug, an appetite suppressant called sibutramine that is no longer sold in the U.S. because of safety concerns.

The U.S. government's pursuit of Zhou, who is now serving time in federal prison, sheds light on an illegal practice that regulators say is increasingly common: adding drugs to products aimed at helping people lose weight, have better sex or bulk up, and labeling them as dietary supplements.

Such "supplements" have sickened customers young and old who do not realize they are consuming powerful medications. Some of the drugs are experimental and not approved for use under any circumstances.

"We consider it a very, very big problem," said Dan Fabricant, director of theU.S. Food and Drug Administration'sDivision of Dietary Supplement Programs. "If we went out there today, to the Web or to certain retail outlets, we would have absolutely no problem finding products that are tainted."

Operations like Zhou's operate largely off the FDA's radar, producing their products in unregulated factories overseas, using anonymous email addresses and aliases to sell them as dietary supplements over the Internet to U.S. middlemen, and shipping them through the mail in packages marked with innocuous labels like "rice."

Since 2008, the FDA has announced warnings or recalls on about 400 dietary supplements containing hidden pharmaceuticals, Fabricant said, adding that the recalls represent a fraction of what is out there. He called the real numbers "staggering."

Trade organizations for the dietary supplement industry say the problem is troubling for consumers and for responsible companies that make and sell supplements.
Elizabeth Miller, acting director of FDA's Division of Non-Prescription Drugs and Health Fraud, said people often turn to supplements after physicians tell them that pharmaceutical solutions would be dangerous because of underlying health problems or other drugs they are taking.

In other words, the very people seeking the supplements often are the ones at highest risk if the products turn out to be laced with hidden chemicals.

Dangerous pharmaceuticals marketed as supplements

Try to copy & paste this address into the address bar then get rid of the space after the www. & see if that works

www. chicagotribune.com/health/ct-met-supplements-drugs-20120810,0,7788553.story

Last edited:
Another issue with supplements is that some can be good in correct amounts, but taken in excess can cause toxicity. It is wise to be aware of safe limits.

My first seizure happened after taking a diet pill (post ephedra, so that wasn't in it). Pre-epilepsy I didn't have issues with pills. Granted, I didn't know I had epilepsy at the time or I wouldn't have taken it, but it's true- some of these supplements are scary. Especially if you have a medical condition that you may or may not know about.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

My first seizure happened after taking a diet pill (post ephedra, so that wasn't in it). Pre-epilepsy I didn't have issues with pills. Granted, I didn't know I had epilepsy at the time or I wouldn't have taken it, but it's true- some of these supplements are scary. Especially if you have a medical condition that you may or may not know about.

:agree: If you have E, be very careful while taking supplements. Another helpful website: http://www.epilepsy.com/EPILEPSY/ALTERNATIVE_THERAPIES_HERBAL

Back
Top Bottom