CBD Oil and Effects with Medication

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

XxBlaqkxX

Stalwart
Reaction score
For those of you taking CBD, did you have to wean off of medications completely first? I was reading an article that CBD can cause interactions if taken with AED's, benzodiazepines, anti-inflammatories, muscle relaxants, etc. Any herbs, vitamins, etc. that should be avoided?

Or is it okay just to take medications not at the same time or within the same day as CBD oil? Should this info be on a card just in case a person were to land in the ER while unconscious?

Hi XxBlaqkxX,

I've been using CBD since 2016 and my neuro never changed any of my seizure meds or the dosages. I also take multiple vitamins and zinc
every day and have never had any problems. I have been told to stay away from aspirin and cold meds like alka seltzer cold plus and I've
been told to use Aleve cold med instead. The best thing for you to do is to check with your pharmacist, I have found the pharmacist
knows what's best better than my Dr. does when it comes to meds. In regards to a card I have a state ID card since I can't drive
and it's on the card that I have epilepsy with a phone number to call (my husband) in case of an emergency. I always carry that with me.
Here's wishing you well and May God Bless You!

Sue

Hi XxBlaqkxX,

I've been using CBD since 2016 and my neuro never changed any of my seizure meds or the dosages. I also take multiple vitamins and zinc
every day and have never had any problems. I have been told to stay away from aspirin and cold meds like alka seltzer cold plus and I've
been told to use Aleve cold med instead. The best thing for you to do is to check with your pharmacist, I have found the pharmacist
knows what's best better than my Dr. does when it comes to meds. In regards to a card I have a state ID card since I can't drive
and it's on the card that I have epilepsy with a phone number to call (my husband) in case of an emergency. I always carry that with me.
Here's wishing you well and May God Bless You!

Sue

I am glad to know this information. Definitely glad to know where to look/who to ask to be certain. Thank you!

True, pharmacists do have a wealth of information. I remember while on Keppra, my neurologist prescribed me an extremely high dosage of Folic Acid because the medication will take much of that from me. When I went to the pharmacist, they leaned in and told me, "This is an extremely high dosage of folic acid. I'm a bit concerned." I explained the situation and they said, "I still see more risks than benefits here for you." I ended up not taking that one that she prescribed and got a lower dose of Folate that I decided to buy myself. It scared me a little, though!

Definitely working on making myself another medical card...I used to have one but ended up tossing it months ago. Although, it was older anyway and I needed to update the information. I'll probably just make my own and get a laminate sleeve or whatever to keep it lasting a little while with my other cards.

My daughter takes CBD Hemp Oil along with oxcarbazepine and Onfi (which is a benzo). I give Onfi in the AM and the CBD at night because I have read that CBD can effect Onfi if taken together so I always make sure she doesn't get both at same time. I do give her the CBD and oxcarbazepine together and have not had any problems. We have been doing this for 5 years now. She is an adult but has severe intellectual disabilities.

My daughter takes CBD Hemp Oil along with oxcarbazepine and Onfi (which is a benzo). I give Onfi in the AM and the CBD at night because I have read that CBD can effect Onfi if taken together so I always make sure she doesn't get both at same time. I do give her the CBD and oxcarbazepine together and have not had any problems. We have been doing this for 5 years now. She is an adult but has severe intellectual disabilities.

Thanks for posting your experience. I've been doing that lately is trying not to take any supplements or medications right with the CBD, but wait a little while to do so. That seems to be fine. I'm glad that it helps you all out as well.

My wife's neuro warned that CBD is processed in the liver and affect the way the liver metabolizes benzo class meds like ONFI/clobazam.

Back
Top Bottom