Changes

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

resaebiunne

Stalwart
Reaction score
Well, I made some changes today.

I am quitting my job. This Friday the 22nd will be my last day.

Yes, the job that took me 18 months to find after getting laid off in January of 2016. After spending 2 months on short term disability through my employer because of depression (which got me baker acted and hospitalized), I decided I felt well enough to return to work (and was looking forward to it). What I didn't realize was how I would react to the stress (and so quickly) upon returning to work and I crashed instantly.

At this particular company, policies regarding vacation and sick leave are merging together next year, and getting stricter on top of that, so I basically feel like I'm dodging a bullet by leaving. Health insurance is getting poorer and more expensive. It's better to quit now than to get fired later. It's not so much that I care about getting fired really, but it's moreso the stress involved, it's just easier to be done with things and cut ties.

I plan on going on disability, and possibly medicaid for health insurance if it's worth it.

This isn't an impulsive decision. It's just a culmination of a lot of factors. I'm going to change my work "style". I think I'll go into consulting or freelancing so I can work for myself on my own terms and on my own schedule. This isn't just something I want anymore, this is something I need.

That IS a big change, but it sounds like it's one you've thought a lot about and decided that it's best for your health. And it can be empowering to be proactive in these ways. While you are planning your next steps, consider looking at ways to prevent and protect yourself from stress too. Even away from an office environment, life is full of stressors (as I'm sure you're aware).

Cheers,
and Happy Holidays,
Nak

Back
Top Bottom