Childbirth

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tammy

New
Reaction score
Hello my name is Tammy. I was hoping to find some info on epilepsy and childbirth. My daughter born in 1976 had childhood epilepsy, and was on phenabarb untill she was 5 years old. her last seizure was at 7 years. She has not had a seizure since. But her history includes 2 Grand mall seizures in one night. She is 12 weeks along. And I was not ready to discuss this with her yet. So as not to scare her. But is there a likelyhood of childbirth bringing on an epileptic seizure. Thought I would get as much info as possible, As her concerned Mother. Thank You!

Hi Tammy, welcome to the forum. :hello:

Pregnancy affects the body's hormones and (in later stages) sleep patterns, both of which can affect the seizure threshold. In addition, she may or may not find herself more sensitive to heat (which can also be a seizure trigger for some folk).

My wife was seizure free and med free for four years before becoming pregnant with our first child. Pregnancy wreaked havoc on her bringing seizures back and making them worse with every successive pregnancy.

There are women who make it through without problems, but as my wife's experience shows, there is a possibility that seizures could return. Hopefully she is taking good prenatal vitamins/minerals to keep herself in balance as much as possible.

FWIW, our second child survived multiple grand mal seizures while in-utero.

HI
My seizures increased during my first pregnancy and worsened in type during my second.
All my children were born healthy and are now 25, 18, 17 with no ill effects.
I would suggest she speak with her doctor as there is a possibility that her seizures could increase or worsen.
I believe the main danger would be from a bad fall during a seizure.
Also if she is on medication has she considered the possibility that she may not be able to breast feed. Nobody bothered to mention it to me until after my baby was born.
It worked out ok in the end. I breast fed and they did blood tests on them.
Also, while pregnant I needed double dose Iron supplements because of the AEDS. Some also effect calcium levels.
Ask her Nuero and OB to work together.
Lorraine

Hi again
I forgot to mention I had been seizure free and off meds for a few years before my first pregnancy and between the first and second.
The seizures started during the second trimester.
I now believe if I had been taking extra vitamins especially B Vitamins it may have been avoided.
Does the OB know about her childhood epilepsy?

Lorraine

Good advice Lorraine. Sounds like you had a similar experience to Stacy. I'm glad your children all turned out healthy. :)

Thank you Bernard for being supportive of my advice.
It is such a change from the other epilepsy "support?" group I used to belong to.
I left it because I felt that any help or advice I offered was constantly challenged and belittled.
I feel that we all have something to offer and it is wonderful to be able to offer what little I know from my own experiences in the hope that others may benefit.
Lorraine

Well, epilepsy isn't a one-size-fits-all problem. I've seen a lot of things posted in various epilepsy forums that don't fit our (Stacy and I) experience with seizures, but that doesn't necessarily invalidate them. I've learned a *lot* from people willing to share their own experiences on these forums. I'm glad you are adding your voice here. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom