Children with epilepsy in school?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I called my daughter's school and let them know about her TLE. They had me call her neuro, and the neuro's office is going to fax everything over.

My daughter is struggling in school, between the TLE and her Auditory Processing Disorder(APD), I am sure it makes it hard for her. She has trouble by getting distracted a lot, and her teacher thinks it is ADHD, which I am 100% against. She does perfect in a quiet environment. She has a 504 plan in place for her APD.

Do any of the kids with epilepsy in school have a 504 or IEP? Is there anything they do special or different?

Our school system here at least the high school where our daughter goes is wonderful. She had her seizure on Sat early AM, missed Monday. Tuesday I dropped off a "what to do if I have a seizure" and by Wednesday she was bringing home 504 paperwork that the school had given her even tho she has not been 'diagnosed' with E yet. Her 504 will make it to where any teacher that she has will have training in E. What type of seizures there are, how to recognize them, care before, during and after the seizure. There are some good E. 504 templets on the internet. I would link the one we are using but I am unable to do that at this point. If you google epilepsy 504 plan its the second one down. Specialchildren.about....... :) Hope that helps. We deleted some of the information and added some of our own to fit our daughters needs better.

Thank you! She has a 504 for her Auditory Processing, so this should help us have things added on.

Back
Top Bottom