[GARD/GFCF] Chili

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
!!WARNING!!

Look I picked GARD because chili kinda looks like dog food. Other then that I’ve got no clue. Look at the recipe you know if you can eat it or not. I’m not a Dietitian, I’m not a nutritionists, and I’m not a doctor. But I am awesome and this is pretty darn good chili.

!!WARNING!!

Ingredients:
(1) Chili Brick (Found either in the Cheese/Yogurt section at Von’s or the Frozen foods isle at Smith’s).
(5) Lbs ground beef of your choice
(1) Large onion (Chopped)
(1) 6 fresh Chopped Jalapeños more if you like it hotter?
(3 to 4) 12 oz cans of diced tomatoes with garlic
(2) 30 oz cans of chili beans of your choice.
(1) 48 oz can of tomato juice
(2) Level teaspoons of Chili Powder

Directions:
Cook ground beef in large skillet with ½ the large chopped onion and whatever added spice’s you may like.
Simmer chili brick in about ½” of water in the bottom of large pot, stir frequently!!!
When Chili brick has mixed with water add the other ½ of the large chopped onion & all of the jalapeños and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes
Add the chili powder, diced tomatoes, chili beans, & tomato juice to the chili brick mixture and simmer for about 45 minutes to 1 hour while stirring occasionally.
Add the ground beef to the pot from the skillet and let the chili simmer for another 30 to 45 minutes while stirring occasionally.
Serve when ready.

Remember to stir frequently especially after you add the chili beans because sometimes the beans may sink to the bottom of the pan and they may burn while you are simmering.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Professor!!!!

Do make sure that there is no MSG or glutamate in the Chili brick so that the GARD works at its best. Reading labels is a pain in the arse, but necessary, unfortunately.......

Last edited by a moderator:
Please, may I ask, is a chili brick?

Agreed! that doesnt sound appetizing in the least. "please eat this large brick! it is rock solid and not very healthy, BUT it tastes like chili!!!! *gasp*"
':roflmao::roflmao::clap::clap::woot:

Concrete + Jalapeno = Chili Brick

I have seen "chili bricks" in the store and would be willing to bet they have msg in them although I've never used one personally! I could be wrong though so I'd suggest checking it out.

I've recently learned that some folks on the east coast add noodles to their chili. Sorry, but that's just wrong. :roflmao:

For best health, I would stay away from anything processed. In fact, go for the real beans from the bulk section of your store, not canned. I know it takes longer to make, but we are talking about health folks. The time gets spent one way or the other.

You can tell my reading the list of ingredients -- if it says monosodium glutamate -- it's bad news. Sometimes however, msg is hidden in other ingredients too so if it doesn't say it, it's not necessarily safe.

Back
Top Bottom