Cleaning

What types of house cleaners do you use?

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

elbow grease

The best thing I found for cat urine is what I saw on a mythbusters episode that dealt with some pretty nasty odors.
Try baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, and a dab of dish soap.
I also noted that my cats love plastic. Don't know why. All my cats are neutered. I did have problems with a couple of my cats when my ex-boyfriend decided to get friendly with them. One of them got so sick, she pee'd everywhere. That was an effort to get everything cleaned up, and her as well.

Good tip Shelley!

But Ziggy, be careful with Peroxide as it can easily take the color out of many things.

-Julie

If you saw how beat up my scooter-chair is, the color bleach out could only help, lol. If I can remember, I'll try these suggestions. Been walking lately and not gone to store lately, so haven't had to worry about it. Carey sprays it with bleach water and that seems to help some. Thanks.

curntly we have all puprose cleaner called "Holy Cow" its all natural it dose good job of cleaning things and tackleing germs for this certified germ a phobe.

wow

HTTP://WWW.EHOW.COM/HOW_4526899_CLE...CE=YAHOO&UTM_MEDIUM=SSP&UTM_CAMPAIGN=YSSP_ART
OR HTTP://TINYURL.COM/CZ2SEA
HTTP://WWW.HOWTOCLEANSTUFF.NET/
HTTP://WWW.WORLDWATCH.ORG/NODE/1484
FOR THE GUYS: HTTP://WWW.BREWORGANIC.COM/INDEX.ASP?PAGEACTION=VIEWCATS&CATEGORY=282
HTTP://WWW.SIMPLYHOMEREMEDIES.COM/MAKE-YOUR-OWN-KID-FRIENDLY-CLEANING-STUFF/

I’m sure I could go on all morning, but I found quite a bit in fifteen minutes of not trying very hard.
I’m guessing that all it really takes is a little common sense and a little ingenuity. My guess for the proliferation of green stuff is because more and more people are getting sick from more and more harsh chemicals.

climbers

Hey everyone,

I started "going green" with cleaning awhile back. Mainly out of necessity. My baby (now 2) is a wonder child at getting into things. He literally would de-babyproof my home as soon as I would bring in a new child lock. He could open bathroom doors when he was a one year old...even though I had the "childproof" knobs! Obviously, we started locking all door in our home. He nearly got into things several times, and I have made my fair share of calls to poison-control because he managed to get into something despite my best efforts.

Anyway, I clean with vinegar, baking soda, lemon juice, and simple dish soap as much as I can. Vinegar is a disinfectant; I use it on my countertops, on my windows/mirrors, in my toilet, in the dishwasher (as a rinsing agent/spot-remover), on my laundry...basically all over the house. I dust with lemon juice and olive oil.
The list goes on.

I do have chemicals that I keep in the house, but I have reduced those to one high shelf in the kitchen over the sink that my son couldn't possibly reach.

Just my :twocents: -Julie

My sons were able to climb up into anything. They were most curious about anything.
The scary part was when they found the kitchen matches. I at least caught them in time.

Oh Shelley, that is scary! I'm so glad you found them in time! :agree:

I think the time that scared me the most was when my little boy opened the "childproof" lid on a bottle of Advil. We had just come home from shopping; I put my son down and turned to put down all of the bags. I noticed he had scooted off into the kitchen. As I turned to follow him, he came around the corner with orange dye all around his mouth!

In the blink of an eye, he had jumped on the kitchen stool, knocked the Advil from the back of the counter onto the floor, opened the "childproof" lid, and ate a handful!:eek::giveup:

I called poison control, crying. He was fine, but I was really shaken up.

I think even the best parents aren't completely prepared if they give birth to a truly overly inquisitive child (or children). :soap:

So "greener" cleaning it is at my house! :agree:

Borax

Have really gotten into Borax as a cleaning agent recently, and trying to stay away from bleach. It doesn't seem to disolve very well. Any ideas?

Interesting. Just recently, I've been wanting to stay away from bleach and until now didn't know what route to go. I just did a search and found out that Borax is to be considered enviormentally friendly. It's actually a food additive used in makeup even though it has insecticidal properties. (God knows what else goes into makeup!) So, sounds safe, though I'd not use it without rubber gloves. About disovling it. I'd let it sit in water for a while (give it a chance to disolve naturally) and then find something to stir it with

Another couple natural cleaners are oxyclean and this stuff called green apple its found in cleaning section of family dollar

Well now, I think I'll look into oxyclean as well. Going food shopping tomorrow, so I'll have to make up my mind!

I ty to keep it as natural as possible,using vinagar and such. Also keep the fumes as LOW KEY as possible. They make me so sick and I have asthma. As my hubby is a FEBREZE FIEND it has been hard. :(

Urgghhh.... I am slightly obsessive when it comes to cleanliness (well... ok - I *used* to be, until my health hasn't been on top form!)

I try and dust and hoover every day, sanitise the kitchen daily (without fail) and have a rota that I try to keep to (but haven't really had the energy lately). My husband can be a slob (love him very much but still a slob - he is a sock fiend... will just discard them from his feet and expect them to walk to the washing machine - I now have about twenty pairs hiding in the garage which he has thrown around the house that he doesn't know about yet - my little attempt at a Sock Heist).

I am now trying to encourage my 13 year old daughter to help me around the house a bit more - it's working a little bit, but I should be more assertive. As for my six year old... well umm.... yes, I will leave it there.

Perhaps I should crack the whip and make them do it... but I just can't muster up the energy to nag.

Hmm... I am rambling... not been a good day for me :S

Lol.. my hubby is a sock fiend too! :p Yeah the kids here could definitely do alot more around here!

:ponder: Glad I am not on my own! What is it with men and their socks??!! lol I am not sure what's worse actually - wearing socks in bed or leaving them discarded around the house. Both are equally icky lol. I digress!

If we have any hope for a future that is clean - then we are the teachers for our children. Children live what they learn after all (that said, my son better buck up his ideas fast!!).

Back
Top Bottom