Coconut Oil

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

RobinN

Super Mom
Reaction score
Since this is not a recipe, I will post this here for all to see.

Bruce Fife, C.N., N.D. and author of The Coconut Oil Miracle shares,
"Laboratory tests have shown that the MCFAs (medium chain fatty acids) found in coconut oil are effective in destroying viruses that cause influenza, measles, herpes, mononucleosis hepatitis C, and AIDS; bacteria that can cause stomach ulcers, throat infections, pneumonia, sinusitis, urinary tract infections, meningitis, gonorrhea, and toxic shock syndrome; fungi and yeast that lead to ringworm, candida, and thrush; and parasites that can cause intestinal infections such as giardiasis." Sounds like a powerhouse to me.

The antiviral, antibacterial, and antifungal properties of coconut oil are directly attributed to the medium chain fatty acids (MCFAs) in the oil, including capric acid and caprylic acid, and the powerful lauric acid. These fatty acids are concentrated in coconut oil; they make up over 60 percent of all that's in the oil.

Medium chain fatty acids are unique and found in only a few places in nature. Interestingly, another place medium-chain fatty acids are found is in mother's milk. In mother's milk, these medium-chain fatty acids are what protects the infant as his/her immune system is developing. And the more the mom has in her body, the more protection the infant will receive.

As antiviral and antibacterial agents, medium chain fatty acids work like this:

Like humans, viruses and bacteria have a skin, or outer coating to keep foreign invaders out. Most viruses and bacteria have a malleable, fluid-like skin that is composed of a fatty substance. Inside this fatty skin resides the rest of the organism, including the organism's DNA.

Because the fatty acids in coconut oil are similar to the pathogen's own skin, the fatty acids are attracted to the organism and are easily absorbed right into it. For the pathogen, it's like opening the door to an ax murderer, because they look like its best friend.

Once inside, the pathogen finds that the medium chain fatty acids are actually much smaller than the fatty acids that make up its own outer casing and this begins to break apart the pathogen's casing.

According to Fife, the smaller medium chain fatty acids "weaken the already nearly fluid membrane to such a degree that it disintegrates. The membrane literally splits open, spilling its insides and killing the organism."

It does this all without causing any harm to human cells or tissues.

More:
Coconut Oil Miracle, Bruce Fife, C.N., N.D.
Coconut Cures, Bruce Fife, N.D.

Support 100%

I can support that coconut oil has been a wonder to my diet. I did some research and decided to add it---what an amazing find! One tablespoon will do the trick (I either take it in a smoothie or by the spoonful).

To add to what Robin wrote, I've been doing a lot of research regarding the raw food diet (to which I'm on) and seizures---there's a lot of great information out there. Yet, in reading one of Dr. Douglas Graham's books (Nutrition and Athletic Performance) I found this quote very interesting

"Let's be perfectly honest here. The majority of conservative medical doctors openly express their view that 90% of all illness is nutritionally related. The more open-minded and forward-thinking doctors, the ones considered "radicals" in their field, and the ones getting the best results, say that 98-99% of all illnesses could be avoided if we simply changed the way we eat. And they all stress the importance of whole, ripe, fresh, raw, organic fruits and vegetables."

Dr. Graham also goes on in his book suggesting that neurological training is just as important for the body---a healthy brain IS a healthy body.

There is so much out there for all of us to use...it's really empowering!!---LMT

Tonix Coconut Water Kefir is a whole food probiotic, rich in vitamins, minerals and natural electrolytes.

This product is brisling with Lactobacillus and Bifidobacteria, which creates awesome intestinal flora, digestion and production of B-6, B12, K, niacin and folic acid.

This is a fermented beverage that hydrates, and gently cleanses the intestinal tract, and liver. Tonix Coconut Water Kefir promoting general health and cleanliness in the body.

It replaces any lost electrolytes and is high in Potassium

Those who have used this product often say they often notice a reduction in sugar cravings, fewer allergy symptoms, better elimination and an improvement in digestion.
Use this product and unleash the energy you have in reserve!

Throughout time and place, living culture foods have been a sacred key to unlocking the secret of abundant health and longevity.

http://mytonix.com/Coconut_Water_Kefir.html

I add it to a smoothie

Interestingly enough, I just read in Dr. Julian Whitaker's Health & Healing newsletter that the MEDIUM CHAIN TRIGLYCERIDES (MCTs) are not only abundant in coconut oil, they create KETONES! He says in effect that if you mix this MCT oil with coconut oil it is as effective as a ketogenic diet!

The ratio is 4 teaspoons of MCT oil to 3 teaspoons of coconut oil, 3 times a day. Mix them together in a jar (do not refrigerate or else they'll turn hard) and measure out the desired dose for each meal.

He suggests cooking with the combined oils, puting it in oatmeal, using it as salad dressings and using it as a spread.

To store it in a bottle, combine 16 ozs. of MCT oil plus 12 ozs. coconut oil.

NOTE: Because coconut oil contains no omega-3's, a minimum of 2 grams of fish oil should be also be taken daily. And start slowly, or else you're sure to get the trots!

The coconut oil should be easy to find in a health food store. But for the MCT oil, you'll probably have to Google to find a source.

I realize this is an older topic and I almost feel silly asking this and feel like quite a glutton, but there are no stupid questions right?......
After two years of seizure free I had a tonic-clonic on Thursday. I am trying my absolute hardest to think of a trigger. The only thing I can think of is the massive amounts of coconut I had consumed the night before.
I recently discovered creamed coconut which is absolutely delicious pure coconut pureed into a bar with no additives or anything. I was eating them like chocolate bars.
I had consumed almost one whole bar before I was full, which is 170grams, and after doing the math is approx 1190 calories per bar, 115grams of fat, and 13.6 grams of carbs.
Everything I have ever read about coconut and coconut oil has been good.
Do you think it's possible to overdose on coconut oil?

The coconut oil could have affected your heart and circulation, and that may have played a role in triggering your seizure. (One study found that people on coconut-oil diets showed higher arterial fat just hours after a single meal). But that would be more likely if you have pre-existing cardiac or vascular issues. (Do you?)

What time of day was your seizure? Was it in the morning after eating the coconut bar? Before breakfast? After a meal? Had you slept well during the night? How long had it been since you had you added the coconut bars to your diet? How was your digestion in general since you had started eating them? There may have been a number of factors (including some unrelated to the coconut) that were slowly influencing your brain and body, so the trigger or triggers may not necessarily have been in close proximity time-wise to the actual seizure.

I discovered it about a month ago, and would melt them into stir fries or just take bites as is. I had never eaten so much in one sitting though, and it was approx one week since I had had any at all.
I stayed up until about 11pm(which is normal) or so snacking on it. My daughter woke up in her cradle at about 4:30am, I brought her into my bed to feed her and we fell asleep together. I woke up again at approx 7:30am knowing that I had a seizure during my sleep.
I thought I was controlling these with my diet, and the fact that I had one with my daughter in the bed with me is double scary. Thankfully she is perfectly ok.

Seeing as you have an infant daughter, perhaps hormonal changes and fatigue played a role too...

Back
Top Bottom