Coffee vs. Dilantin

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

No-brainer

Pillar
Reaction score
I love coffee. I have been known (in the past) to drink more than one pot in a day.
Do you think coffee leaches the meds from my system?

I found this article that relates at "Livestrong dot com":
Does Caffeine Affect Dilantin?

Last edited by a moderator:
No, in fact the article implies the opposite -- that Dilantin leaches the caffeine from your system faster (or at least mitigates it somewhat). The main worries about that pot of coffee would be if you are sensitive to caffeine (it's a seizure trigger for some). Also, both Dilantin and coffee can interfere with the absorption/metabolism of calcium, so you might be at risk for osteoporosis at some point. If you can, add a supplement and/or calcium-rich foods to your diet, and don't consume them at the same time as either the Dilantin or the coffee.

Dilantin does lower calcium levels but it might be best to use calcium rich foods and/or small doses of calcium supplements. This was just in todays news.

"It is now becoming clear that taking this micronutrient in one or two daily boluses is not natural, in that it does not reproduce the same metabolic effects as calcium in food," Reid concluded in a journal editorial accompanying the study.

The effect may result from unnatural spikes in calcium in the bloodstream after taking supplements, said Dr. Aliya Khan, director of the calcium disorder clinic at McMaster University in Hamilton.

Calcium supplement use may raise heart attack risk

Caffeine itself stimulates the nervous system. Adrenaline is released and the liver begins to emit stored blood sugar. Insulin is then released, and blood sugar drops below normal—a common seizure trigger. And caffeine can be a “stealth” drug, too. It can be found as an ingredient in medications, including some antihistamines and decongestants.

Caffeine can be a seizure trigger. My last seizure, over ten years ago, came after I started drinking coffee.. I was taking Dilantin at the time. The caffeine just overwhelmed the ability of Dilantin to suppress a grand mal seizure.

I use to drink a lot of coffee, but these days it gets pissy with my head and after too much I'll start to have simple partials. Thus, I forego my morning coffee these days. Now I don’t even miss it. I know those words are blasphemy to the coffee connoisseur but I stand by them.

I started having seizures before I even enjoyed coffee. Now I'm enjoying a cup every morning as I visit CWE. Cheers to :coffee: Coffee is what keeps me going. And it doesn't seem to contribute to my seizures.

Too MUCH caffeine can be a trigger for me. First T/C seizure was after I took a diet pill, which basically just had a lot of caffeine in it, as it was over the counter, and ephedra/etc. was all ready illegal by then (the doctors blamed the seizure on that - turns out it wasn't that!) I've cut back, but I still have 1-2 cups a day most days without any issues (assuming I've had enough sleep... catch 22 there).

Too MUCH caffeine can be a trigger for me. First T/C seizure was after I took a diet pill, which basically just had a lot of caffeine in it, as it was over the counter, and ephedra/etc.

If your first T/C was after a diet pill then I think it would most likely be the ephedra than the caffeine.

Adverse effects of ephedra consumption may include severe skin reactions, irritability, nervousness, dizziness, trembling, headache, insomnia, profuse perspiration, dehydration, itchy scalp and skin, vomiting, hyperthermia, irregular heartbeat, seizures, heart attack, stroke, or death.[20]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ephedra#Safety_and_regulatory_actions_in_the_United_States

I used to drink around a pot of coffee a day.

I never connected the amt. of caffeine I was consuming interacting with my dilantin.

I was one of those who listen to the DR. and if they did not say or ask something about it, then there was NO connection.

I would be shaking like I don't know what, WHILE drinking my coffee. I couldn't figure out what was causing all the this shaking UNTIL I join the forum.

It was on the forum that I read and learned about triggers.

I can not take antihistamines or decongestants, these are also triggers.

Epileric, the pill didn't have ephedra in it. It was all ready illegal by then. My doctor looked up the ingredients and basically confirmed it was a lot of caffeine. Of course I've since learned it is lack of sleep coupled with stress that cause my seizures :/. At that time I had no idea about epilepsy though... or I probably never would've touched the stuff.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

I just reread my original comment. I guess I could see why you'd think it dis have ephedra! Yeesh I need to be more careful how I write these days :) Apparently my speech/writing skills aren't as good lately (as my neuropsych appointment today confirmed.) More to follow on that in a separate post!

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

I have to be very careful. Decongestants are a trigger for me as well. Going back many years before I had my first tonic-clonic seizure which I now know triggered a smaller seizure (still learning lingo) and was hospitalized and ultimately told I just must be depressed - never even looked at neuro symptoms just heart which went away with seizure.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

:cheers: It might not be morning, but I'm enjoying my 2nd cup for the day. I will be starting dilantin soon... well, maybe. It's in my fridge so, at least the plan is to start taking it soon. Ugh. I'm nervous about it though.

Not sure if I'm willing to give up my Joe. I am very good about eating calcium rich foods, so maybe I'll be ok for a little while...and won't have to take the dilantin forever.

Back
Top Bottom