College suggestions?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm brand new to the forum (so am hopefully posting on the right place) and have some questions about college. I am a student at a college in NJ at the moment but due to EXTREME problems I've been having with the administration (I had to take a medical withdrawal for a year, they didn't even have me as a medical withdrawal, and not only was I going through increased GMs that I never even experienced since I was diagnosed plus the side effects- I'm sure we've all been there!) and the fact their disability program has only one guy in it with no extra support or resources whatsoever, I have decided it best to transfer schools. I am wondering, does anyone know of any suggestions of schools with great disability programs, specifically dealing with epilepsy? I'd figure asking from your perspective would be best since most schools talk about physical and LD. My meds ( Keppra, lamotrigine and zonisamide- lamotrigine especially) have been giving me terrible memory problems and I'm hoping a school with a better program will help. I graduated high school with a 4.0 and have a 3.3 now but I know it could be much better if I just had those extra resources. I have so far applied to Alfred U, East Stroudsburg, Frostburg State, Nicholls State, East Carolina and others that I am now blanking on (see what I mean!) sorry about all the rambling and I'm hoping to hear some advice :)

Also I know most specifically don't deal with epilepsy, but what have you seen first hand is what I meant. Thank you!

Welcome! I don't really have a college suggestion, but The Kitchen would probably be the best place to post stuff like this. That seems to be where most of the more general posting gets done. Good luck with your college search, and with the memory issues. I can relate big time, and it sucks!

Happy Holidays! :)

I will say, try University of Washington-Seattle. I went there and had good support with the differently abled services. And the profs are all on board with those of us that need something other than mainstream class teaching only.

I am a biology major, with PT or med in mind (if my epilepsy doesn't get too in the way to stop me!)

University of Wisconsin Stout. I have had the same problem all over (I have transferred a zillion times) and they were the only ones who really helped. The program is call ASPIRE and the people are great. I have memory problems too so they set it up so that I would meet with an advisor of theirs every 2 weeks to keep me on track and my grades up. They were also advocates for me with teachers. That and the school is fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom