Combining medications?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
anyone else have their kids on multiple medications?

My daughter has complex partials and we have been on keppra for what feels like forever and recently added zonegran...not sure if it is working or not yet...anyone else on this combo and having sucess?

Ive had epilepsy my whole life. When I was a kid, I was on all kind of medications, But since the age of 18, Ive been on Keppra and Carbatrol. I was on those two medications for over 12 years. Those together controlled my seizures very well. I was having complex partials and grand mal seizures.
Recently, since the end of May, Ive been on Keppra XR only. After having a VEEG done in march of this year, my dr felt like I didnt need to be on the Carbatrol and Keppra together. So he just put me back on Keppra. During March through may I tried other medications with the Keppra, but they didnt work out well. Vimpat caused depression and mood changes. Lamictal, I had an allergic reaction to. So Since May Ive been only on Keppra XR at 3000mgs a day.

I had zonergran added to my trileptal in april.I think its helped alot.Although I still suffered from many auras this summer in the heat and sunlight which has always been a big problem for me,they never turned into a complex and they usually fizzled out after 20 or 30 seconds without me losing my ability to respond like alot of my simple partials.I realize these are still simple partials but so mild and quick they dont interfere at all.Not to say Im completely seizure free or side effect free but it was a positive move for me.

at one point my son had 10 perscriptions that he had to take and he is 4. i think these doctors are crazy!!!! at one point he was taking depakote-1000mg a day, clonozapam-100mg a day plus an added dose on bad days, zonigram-200mg a day, lamictal-75mg a day, keppra-400mg a day,topamax-200 mg a day, sumatriptan for migranes (its a nasal spray), an anti nausea med they give to chemo patients, vitamin b6-200mg a day, and ativan for bad days. this was so rediculous to me and he was still having seizures every day!!!!! i wounder how much reasurch has been done about the effects of all the combinations of these meds!???! now we are down to depakote and zonigram but still no change, (the other meds stopped working at all and some made him worse!) and we are adding felbamate on tuesday! i wish you all the luck in the world....but like i said these doctors are nuts!!!!

Back
Top Bottom