complex partials

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

dmcs

New
Reaction score
I have complex partial seizures. After suffering uncontrollable seizures for 21 years, I was
fortunate to find a neurologist, who was able to get my seizures under control. I had a brain surgery performed on me, which was very successful. The neurologists and nuerosurgeons were able to find out what caused me to have seizures. A high fever I had, when I was 2 years old, was the reason a black spot, the size of a mold was on my
brain. It caused me to have seizures. I was alerted 1 or 2 seizures would occur a year.
That has been the result, however I've gone seizure free for a couple years. I had to learn how to limit my stress and worry.

Hi dmcs, belated welcome to the forum. :hello:

I split your post off into it's own thread so people could see it more easily.

Congrats on being seizure free for so long! :woot:

DMCS,

I too have partial complex seizures which, like you, are apparently a result of having had a high fever as a small child. That's great that you've been seizure-free. Just curious --are you on any meds?

It sounds like you were having febrile seizures as a babe maybe, and that they were able to treat you-awesome! I started getting simples and partials when i was 29...(2 years ago) but i remember my mom saying to me...oh but they checked you at birth, and i can even show you the box where they checked no febrile seizures. Well, that was at the hospital, 31 years ago. Times change.

Yes, I still must take Dilantin medications. After being seizure free for two years, my neurolohist gave me permission to take myself offf the dilantin medication. Unfortunately, I had a seizure. The doctor who treated me in the emergency room, at the hospital I was taken to, advised my neurologist to "Pat yourself on your back, and put your patient back on the dilantin medication, since her seizures are now under control." My neurologist agreed with the emergency room physician, and informed me, I'd have to continue taking the diantin medication.

One thing to caution yourself is the fact that one seizure, if severe enough, will potentially cause a subsequent seizure to happen. If so, just take the meds faithfully. It sounds like you have been doing great. My background is very similar to yours. Not sure why I'm still here, but I survived a really horrendous childhood fever, too. It makes one appreciate life.

My wife is almost in the same boat with you. She hasn't been 100% seizuer free for two years yet, but she is getting closer to that goal on Dilantin than she's been in many years. I still hold out hope that she might be able to use neurofeedback effectively again once she has reached some sort of equilibrium/stability with her current seizure threshold/management.

In any event, even though you need to take Dilantin, it's great to hear that you have found a solution to be seizure free!

Back
Top Bottom