Confused about what's happening with my son...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

MikeD1980

New
Reaction score
My son is 6 years old. At the age of 2 he had a nasty stomach bug, he spent 3 days vomiting and was not able to keep much of anything down. On the 4th day when we thought he was getting better he was very lathargic and had a seizure. We immediatley called 911. He continued to have more seizures about every 15-30 minutes, totalling about 7 of them before he was finally put on an IV. After a million tests and almost no answers, the assumed it happened because his electrolytes were out of wack from all the throwing up. I should also mention that he never had a fever during the illness. He got better, and for a year and half he was seizure free, until he got a stomch bug again. Just like before he spent days throwing up, and right when the throwing up stopped he had a seizure. This time it only happened once, and they got him on an IV right away. This time they also told us his electrolytes looked fine. So we were very confused as to why this was happening an no one had any answers. Again, he got better, and has been seizure free for nearly 4 years unil yesterday.

He was out in the backyard kicking his soccer ball around, and then he was laying on the ground acting silly and talking (acting like himself). When he went to get up, he looked into the sun, blinked his eyes a few times and then was unresponsive with his hands clenched and shaking. It lasted about 10 seconds and then he got up as if nothng happened and continued to kick his soccer ball around. He continued to act completely normal the rest of the day and night. I am taking him to his Dr. today, but i'm not very optimistic that I'm goin to get any answers. Because this time was so completely different than the other times, I am very confused and scared. Anyone with similar experiences like this?!?!

Hi MikeD1980, welcome to CWE!

Your son's newest symptoms sound like a Complex Partial Seizure -- it's a kind of seizure where there's partial awareness and consciousness, a bit like sleepwalking. The person may or may not have any memory of what happens.

Your son may have a lowered seizure threshold -- perhaps due to absorption issues, since the seizures seem to come on after stomach problems. He may also be photosensitive, given how the latest symptoms started. Does your son have any food allergies or sensitivities? Has he ever shown any other unusual symptoms or behaviors, attention issues, sleep problems, etc?

The idea that stomach health can influence brain health is relatively new, but based on the early studies (as well as experiences of many CWE members), the connection is very real. More information here: http://www.mentalhelp.net/poc/view_doc.php?type=doc&id=48263 Treatments using a nutritional approaches (such as the Modified Atkins Diet, or supplementing with nutrients and probiotics) can sometimes help with seizure control (and other health issues), so if your son's symptoms recur or progress in any way, you might want to give his diet a closer look.

I hope your doctor was able to help, and that your son is doing fine.

Best,
Nakamova

Back
Top Bottom