Confused....

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

xadesim

New
Reaction score
A few days ago i bought these caffeine tablets from CVS. I tried one but did not really feel anything so the next day i took 2 in the mourning 2 in the afternoon and 1 before i went to the gym. I did not relize how much caffiene that really was but did not think much of it. Around 2:30 when i got out of school i felt a little more energized so i thought it was finally kicking in. I went to a friends house where a bunch of my friends where smoking marijuana, i joined them and about a few minutes later my vision started to get very weird. I didnt know it it was just because i was very high or something else was wrong. After about 2 minutes of my vision going very blury and almost making everything around me red, my thoughts started to race in my head. I did not know what was going on. I got up from the table and procceded to walk to my car. As i came to my friends backyard gate i stumbled and grabbed onto the gate to keep balance, i then blacked out for a few seconds and my friend was asking what was wrong then i remeber falling back and going unconcious for about 10 seconds. My friend told me i was on the ground shaking very violent but i got up on my own. After that happend i wasnt sure if it was a seizure or something else, ive never had a seizure before in my life. Im not sure if it was the overdose of caffeine or the marijauna that caused me to have a seizure please give me your thoughts on my experiance, i would really appreciate it.

Hi xadesim, welcome to the forum. :hello:

If you had had a grand mal (tonic clonic) seizure, you would not have gotten up 10 seconds later and been fully functional.

Caffeine in high doses can induce seizures. That's how they induce seizures in rats to test other seizure control drugs or devices. It works the same in humans.

Marijuana is a mixed bag with some studies claiming it helps with seizure control and others claiming it can induce seizures in high quantities/concentrations.

One thing is for sure, if you are otherwise normal, but inducing seizures with overdoses of drugs for recreational purposes, you aren't going to get much sympathy from me.

Im not sure but i was completely fine after it my friend told me it lasted for like 10-15 seconds. I got up on my own just confused, but i was pretty normal other than being high. Im not sure what kind of seizure it could of been if only lasting for 15 seconds and probably was a one time thing for me.

xadesim

Have you even thought of getting to a doctor?

We do not diagnose problems or give advice, and anyone who does over the internet is just asking for a world of problems. However, this was not an ordinary event. The overload of caffine and the type of weed you smoked most likely are the culprits yet some other neurological and/or cardiac event could have happened.

I know a girl who had a heartattack and almost died snorting coke for the first time.

Today's marijuana is much stronger and more refined that what my generation smoked.

There are cardiac events that mimc seizure activity. Let's not forget strokes. If you had a "real" grand mal" it would have lasted longer and you would have been very confused afterwards. Then you would sleep for hours. No way would you get up and be fine immediately.

The thing I dont get is i was completely fine when I got up and was very confused, but i could function properly. I just wanted to get someone's opinion on this before I saw a doctor. Also is it common for a seizure to last less than 20 seconds? and for me to get up by my self? During this whole ordeal i remeber most, and actually remeber hearing my friend yelling at me asking what was wrong while i was on the ground shaking. I am also aware this site does not diagnose problems or give advice but i thank you for the information some have accuired.

Last edited:
Hey, no problem. There's lots of sites with simular references but that one is the best I think.

If you decide to see a doc, please let us know what he thinks. A life with seizures is a very difficult one. If it's one brought on by abuse of drugs, there is an easy choice to make here.

:soap:

Back
Top Bottom