consciousness level during seizures?

what is the duration and your consciousness level during your most usual seizure?

• still fully conscious, responsive; more than 10 seconds

Votes: 6 9.4%
  • still fully conscious, responsive; less than 10 seconds

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • fully conscious but "out there", responsive; >10 seconds

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • fully conscious but "out there", responsive; <10 seconds

Votes: 9 14.1%
  • semi-conscious but not responsive; >10 seconds

Votes: 8 12.5%
  • semi-conscious but not responsive; <10 seconds

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • minimal consciousness, not responsive; >10 seconds

Votes: 6 9.4%
  • minimal consciousness, not responsive; <10 seconds

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • unconscious; >10 seconds

Votes: 16 25.0%
  • unconscious; <10 seconds

Votes: 3 4.7%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

petero

New
Reaction score
this'll be difficult as a poll but I'll give it a whirl

what is your consciousness level, and duration, during your most usual seizure type?

Last edited:
I was at my neurologist the other day and he says he knows of some who have 25+ seizures a day. Thinking of that many in terms of my seizure type blew my mind, and figured he must have been referring to a variety of seizure types. I don't see any way I could stand having 25+ tonic-clonics in a day.

Only tonic-clonics for me. No consciousness please -- I don't want to be there while it's happening...

:agree: Couldn't agree more!

At my worst before meds I gad 54 tonic clinics in a day with unconsciousness of >10 eedless too say spent a week in hospital and recovering with few more in between

Before surgery CP seizure unaware of any thing going on around me longer than 10 seconds. after surgery Tonic Clonic No consciousness.
Fast forward to today focal lasting 30sec to a minute fully aware of every thing that is going on around me. They often cluster where I have 4-5 but still fully aware

my seizures are where Im aware of whats going on, but I cant respond during them. My body has so much control, that if a person asks me something, I cant respond back til its over. My simple partial seizures last between 30 seconds to a minute. after its all done, my body feels weak, tired and my head just kills me.

The majority of my seizures are nocturnal so I have to say unconscious haha....although I tend to wander around the house so I guess I'm more amnesia. I have 3-5 complex partials per day still lasting >10 secs with minimal consciousness, not responsive. Hopefully after the VNS this month that will get better. I'm hopeful :)

I have no idea how long I'm conscious during my CP's. From what I've been told, they say I'm in wonderland from 1-3 minutes. When I suffer TC's, I'm totally unconscious for 1 minute or two. It takes an hour or so to recover after a TC. I've gone status a few times. Been unconscious for more than five minutes and been rushed to the hospital.

My complex partials last around five minutes. During that time I am unconscious. I am unaware of whats happening around me. But after it passes I am fully conscious.

I've just had tonic-clonics from what ive heard, and sleep tonic-clonic too.
always unconscious and longer than 10 secs
my girlfriend (makes quotation fingers around girlfriend...) has told me I've had sleep seizures and it sounded like once I was semi status, having at least seven in a row of sleep seizures

My partial seizures seem to last forever, even though it's like 40 sec to a minute.
I'm conscious and aware of whats happening. I keep it a secret. even thought I'm uncomfortable in my own body. My boyfriend doesn't understand it. I run to my dog he always there when I need comfort.

so far out, i dont even notice i had a seizure.
unless of course i plow a bicycle into a building. that will make you notice.
but in my studio. i will not notice. i will just move around my apartment, wake up later.

I sometimes remember a few seconds before the seizure, but it is foggy. I never remember any of the seizure. Most times I don't remember having a seizure unless someone is around to tell me, or I end up in some random place.

I was conscious and I knew what was happening during the seizure.I could hear people talking to me but I couldn't respond.

Conscious. Kind out of body experience~ish. Senses go strange and feels like having trouble to pull back into my body.

I am usually consious but unresponsive - sometimes I'm responsive - it depends on the severity. Sometimes I'll be aware of what's happening, but then as it continues it intensifies and I lose conciousness.
Then, after it's all over I'm so weak - my body is extremely heavy. And I'm only 98lbs!

I'm usually conscious during my simple partials, but don't respond until after they are fully over. I am completely unaware that a complex partial seizure has occurred unless someone witnesses it or I do something to myself/my surroundings.

When my seizures started, I was almost always unconscious throughout, apart from pre-ictal mania and hours of post-ictal psychosis (mortifying!). At their worst, when I was taking psychiatric medication which I later learnt was strongly contraindicated in epilepsy, every second grand mal was either status or very near it, and I had several daily partials ranging from uncontrollable eye-rolling to absences where I'd just black out and wake up in a mess. These days I'm far better controlled, thank goodness, but when I do have a fit it tends to be outright unconsciousness.

Thank you for sharing.
I would rather be unconscious during my tonic-clonic episodes. which I usually am. I'm still freaked out by that last seizure I had in January. I had never experienced anything that terrifying ever. even though- my partials are a bit terrifying I can usually handle fine. I moved out of that apartment. Im sad because I really liked it there and felt safe
Now I'm scared to be alone in that apartment Im afraid of every little aura feeling I get. I sometimes feel like I'm going crazy. I think its worse because, It's so hard to explain the stress, emotional fear and everything else that goes along with E.
Anyone else feel that way?

Back
Top Bottom