Criteria of seizure control

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

hopeful

New
Reaction score
Could anyone tell me the criteria Doctors use to classify seizures into poorly, fairly well or controlled please? Is it a secret only they know?

Good question!...

...I'm sure it varies with the individual of course but there has to be SOME common thread, right?
:ponder:

I am sure that there is, but what exactly I can't help you with. I just assume that all is well if I take my DD to an appt. and the Dr. doesn't increase or change her meds. The Dr. doesn't out right say what she considers okay or not, other than telling me how important it is to get her to swallow pills. I have tried, and thrown said towel in since she gags on Mini M&M's.

To me there is not a question... seizure control means no more seizures, and the body healthy. No compromise with memory loss, fatigue, rash, vision issues, bone loss, slurred speach, etc. (I could fill the page)

I've been told that just the simple aura or warning itself is technically a seizure, even though that warning is actually followed by blacking out.

Could anyone tell me the criteria Doctors use to classify seizures into poorly, fairly well or controlled please? Is it a secret only they know?

I don't know if there is a clinical definition for those terms. You either have seizure control (ie. no seizures on whatever treatment regimen you are on) or you don't.

Right now, Stacy is not controlled. She is having TC clusters sporadically around the time of her period (always at night or in the morning now). They don't happen every period/month though.

Even though she is not 100% controlled yet (we are still working on it), she is controlled 99% of the time - ie. when she is fully awake or not on her period, she has no problems with seizures.

I'd consider her fairly well controlled if it wasn't for the tendency for her to go status when she does have the seizures.

Back
Top Bottom