Cycling

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

finalpoet

Stalwart
Reaction score
I really love cycling. What's amazing is that I started cycling right after I stopped driving when I hit a neighbor's car when driving, all caused by an absent seizure. So epilepsy is definitely the reason why I started cycling regularly. Epilepsy is basically the reason why I found this joyous hobby. Plus why I'm fit.

50/50

i cycled long before my epilepsy.
but it is the cause of most of my injuries granted having a seizure where i sit on the sidewalk and just start to bash my face my on the sidewalk is going to work out poorly either way. but others like running into a steel trash can after a absence havent been in my favor. even that being the case odds are I will continue to ride my bike

Same here! One time I was riding to school and I had either an absent or TC seizure. I woke up down the side of the trail with a massive dent in my helmet. Which is why I require anyone I ride with to wear a helmet. I'm alive because of my helmet.

I used to ride my mountain bike a lot, both on and off road - Including riding home from my old workplace, a 20km ride which one day resulted in the luckiest near misses ever after having a seizure on the side of the road at the busiest intersection in my area and off a street with a 80kph speed limit - I made it onto the grass outside a car dealership to have my seizure.

The laws here though are unforgiving about riding on the footpath, apparently being epileptic isn't a valid reason

I used to ride my mountain bike a lot, both on and off road - Including riding home from my old workplace, a 20km ride which one day resulted in the luckiest near misses ever after having a seizure on the side of the road at the busiest intersection in my area and off a street with a 80kph speed limit - I made it onto the grass outside a car dealership to have my seizure.

The laws here though are unforgiving about riding on the footpath, apparently being epileptic isn't a valid reason

However! If my move to South Australia goes ahead, I won't have to worry about the footpath laws as they don't exist. They are somewhat more relaxed there and will also allow me to get an E-Bike or Moped, something that for the most part is banned here in Sydney although.

My son cycles miles it worries life out of me he no got epilepsy he rides down country lanes up mountains (snowdon)he had some awful accidents his little daughter accidentally kicked him in the nuts bringing tears to eyes his cure get on bike ride 30miles take mind off it.Did that he fell off injuring nuts even more and tore meniscus..he now one nut down and limps.So be careful when cycling:noevil:

My son cycles miles it worries life out of me he no got epilepsy he rides down country lanes up mountains (snowdon)he had some awful accidents his little daughter accidentally kicked him in the nuts bringing tears to eyes his cure get on bike ride 30miles take mind off it.Did that he fell off injuring nuts even more and tore meniscus..he now one nut down and limps.So be careful when cycling:noevil:

In my family, it's not me they need to worry about but my little brother who is my remote area mountain biking partner, not because of the seizures but for if something happens - I've had a few close calls with deadly snakes in my area. He managed to plow straight into some bushes and narrowly missed a tree when he underestimated a hairpin corner on the track. One minute he's here, then the next he's stuck in the bushes.

He has a tendency to think that his skill level is better than it actually is, so rarely takes my advice on how to approach situations like that. I warned him that he would need to start to brake and turn before the corner...he didn’t.

i miss my bicycle, i have to go by the shop at some point to get a new set of bike kit.

at this point, i need to throw about 200 dollars at least in loose parts to get my road bike back to the point it feels right, it has miles on it. so i am off for a bit

Back
Top Bottom