Damn, really wasn't expecting that

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Pingu

Stalwart
Reaction score
2 days ago, I got home from work to find my Grandma standing in the kitchen doing nothing (usually when this happens, it means something bad has occurred).

After she asked me how work was, she very quickly cut to the chase, She told me my Nan had been admitted to hospital with pneumonia, the tone of her voice gave it away. I cut her off and said I know what's coming. My Nan had passed away.

My mum had told my family not to post anything on Facebook or say anything until I had made it home from work. When I rang mum to see how she was coping, she gave me the insight into the events that had unfolded over the course of 18 hours.

Tuesday night, mum received a call from the nursing home to say that Nan had been admitted to hospital. By mid morning Wednesday, she received another one to say that you need to come in and say your goodbyes (unfortunately I was working and wouldn't made it to the hospital in time). At 1pm, that was it. Mum said that my nan had two wishes: to make it past 80 and to die in her sleep. The hospital were kind enough to give one of those wishes after my family declined to put her on life support.

Mum said that a chest X-Ray showed a large lump in her lung which could have potentially turned out to be cancerous had she survived the pneumonia.

As sad as I am and surprised as I am because when I saw her at Christmas, she was the best I had seen her in years (She had dementia), I am incredibly relieved that she won't have to put up with that bloody disease anymore.

Mum's given me the honour of giving a eulogy at the funeral. Now I have a week to prepare one...

Hi Pingu,

I'm so sorry that you lost Nan but remember she's in a better place now and you will see her again someday. My Grandfather passed away from pneumonia also after he had an anurysem. I also have a Grandma and other family members with either dementia or alzheimers so I understand how you feel. I wish you only the best and May God Bless You!

Sue

Hi Pingu

So sorry to hear about your nan, my thoughts are with you and your family.

My nan (dads mum) who I was really close to passed away on just after Easter in 2016. She was almost 90, had lot of health issues and lived in a home but was still fairly sharp in her mind. I think she just had enough and was ready to go and be with her husband who passed away on 2007.
We got news on Easter Saturday that she wasn’t in a good way and it wasn’t until the next Saturday that she passed away.

I was really close to my nan and was surprised how hard I took it but my psychologist helped me deal with it.

Pingu --

I am very sorry for your loss. It's tough that you didn't get a chance to say goodby, but yes, a tiny blessing that her passing was relatively brief and painless. My aunt (who was a doctor) sometimes referred to pneumonia as the "old person's friend" because it can be a less traumatic way to go.

<<hugs>>

Back
Top Bottom