[News] Daniel Greene - seizure detecting pet snake

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Bernard

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
Serge Debrebant said:
I get all sorts of reactions when I carry my boa constrictor around town. Some people ask me about it, but others are suspicious and make remarks. I don’t want to threaten anyone, so I stay away if anyone looks scared. Sometimes, shops won’t let me in, and my doctor won’t allow the snake in her office.

I have to accept that, but it won’t stop me from carrying Redrock. He’s changed my life. I have suffered from epilepsy for more than 20 years and Redrock helps me to detect seizures. Before they start, he gives me a little choke around my neck, which gives me enough time to prepare. I put Redrock, who is 4ft 8ins long, in a carrier, find a quiet spot to lie down and take my medication. Sometimes I can prevent a seizure from happening – but if not, at least I don’t get hurt.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/1d6c8410-d7e8-11de-b578-00144feabdc0.html

That is so cool!

I have had snakes most of my life. usually ball pythons. I dont have any now as I haev 2 cats, and I'm sure teh 2 species wont mix.

but that might be something to look into again when I get another snake.

I'm not sure if I would want a seizure-detecting snake, but it's pretty amazing that one exists. It's too bad we can't develop the instincts that the animals have.

I wonder what medication he takes when the snake alerts him -- it must be some basic sedative (rather than an AED).

Back
Top Bottom