Daytime TV and Epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

RobinN

Super Mom
Reaction score
I am not much of a fan of daytime TV, but I know that there is a huge draw to the "Soaps". I was sent this on another list that I read, and I thought some of you might be interested. I do hope that they are truthful in their approach.

If you watch it, come back and give us a review.

The number one daytime drama The Young and the Restless will feature a
story promoting epilepsy awareness when longtime character Victor
Newman is diagnosed with temporal lobe epilepsy in an episode to be
broadcast Monday, July 17 on the CBS Television Network. Emmy
Award-winning actor Eric Braeden, who has portrayed Victor Newman for
26 years, will record CBS Cares PSAs in cooperation with the Epilepsy
Foundation, which will be broadcast Monday, July 17 and Tuesday, July
18 immediately following the episodes. The televised messages will
give more information about epilepsy as well as a web address and
telephone number to help viewers cope with the many issues that come
with the condition.

Find more information about it at:
http://www.epilepsyfoundation.org/aboutus/pressroom/pr20060629.cfm

www.cbs.com/daytime/yr/

I'm guessing this is a bit of fallout from the backlash CBS received over that Two and a Half Men episode a while back where they made fun of seizures. I seem to recall CBS getting flack over something else too, but I don't recall right now what it was. I know that the EFA was involved and talking to some higher-ups at CBS when this all went down.

Guess I missed that as I don't have time for TV anymore... I watch CWE instead.
Now that seems like a natural and logical consequence for bad behavior if you ask me.
Good for those that put the pressure on.

TT.V. is out of control

I've seen it happen more and more often television! They try to make it look real but it to me it just makes us look stupid. And I wish the FCC would draw the line somewhere!:soap:

TV.

I agree. :agree: TV is out of control. Some of the things they show does make people with seizures(epilepsy) look stupid. We are not different cause we have epilepsy. We need to make more people aware of this.:e: :clap: :woot: :e:

My television is a very unused piece of furniture, except when I get the local news and weather. However I have a male friend who, oddly, does watch the afore mentioned soap. He told me about the sequence of shows on The Young and the Restless and, for no particular reason I watched a few of these programs. Silly and very unrealistic would be the best description of what was portrayed. I considered contact CBS and thought better of wasting my time with such petty junk.
Even though I could hook up my TV to the cable outlet in my condo unit, I don't. I have too much to do:
1) Get a day job. A job, period, soon, now, right away----before all my money runs out.
2) still composing. working on a set of songs, after that a choral work, after that an orchestral work, and two chamber works if I ever get the time.
3) if I had the energy and time I would also be trying my hand at writing science fiction or just plain fiction.
4) trying to keep from drowning in clutter!! (enough said there!)

well I didn't check my references...
The person that posted it just informed us that this was last years news.
The episodes have already been shown. :paperbag:

Back
Top Bottom