Déjà vo

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Deb12345

New
Reaction score
Hello me again, :D
Not sure if anyone has ever asked this question before (apologies if they have) but how can you tell the difference between normal déjà vo and seizure déjà vo? Has anyone got any examples? I have déjà vo but never sure whether it's the normal type or not. Thanks again.
Kind Regards
Debbie
:rose:

Oh geez, good question. I dont think I ever had a seizure deja vu "but now that I have E, i have no clue what i experianced or not was normal*
I think *with me anyway* that when I had deja vu, it was more like a "hmm it feels like this has happened before," but its not really a big deal.

From what I heard with these seizure deja vu, it is an almost frightening experiance, and you also cant think straight when it is happening. also i heard that these deja vu experiances can wake you up from a full sleep and that has never happened with me.

hope that helps.

Yep that helps. :) I must admit I did wake up from deep sleep one of the nights thinking I was in Disney World again (I wish - I visited there in 2000). Afterwards when I woke up fully, my head was spinning and everywhere looked blurred. Hearing wasn't good neither. Think I had something similar a couple of nights later. I am only guessing that may have been a déjà vo seizure experience, though not 100% sure. :ponder: Sometimes I just think that my déjà vo is me daydreaming. :rose:

They've never woken me up from sleep, but I've had plenty of them during the day.

The way I tell the difference for me is the seizure deja vu feeling is never about anything in specific, often something I can't even explain after, where the normal one is about something.

Sometimes I have a seizure deja vu that creates a cycle... after the first deja vu I have another deja vu about having a deja vu, and so on... can last for a minute or so. Feels really weird and is almost always a precursor to a full seizure that night or the next.

They used to scare me but I've had so many all I think is "here we go again..."

Here's a suggestion as there are too many to copy and paste here in this link.

Go to the search function and type in "Deja vu". You will pull a number of threads that have discussed this topic at some time. At your leisure read up on it. Interesting info

They've never woken me up from sleep, but I've had plenty of them during the day.

The way I tell the difference for me is the seizure deja vu feeling is never about anything in specific, often something I can't even explain after, where the normal one is about something.

Sometimes I have a seizure deja vu that creates a cycle... after the first deja vu I have another deja vu about having a deja vu, and so on... can last for a minute or so. Feels really weird and is almost always a precursor to a full seizure that night or the next.

They used to scare me but I've had so many all I think is "here we go again..."

Thats exactly how I feel. I've never been able to describe it. haha

Hmmmm, now

that I think back, I do recall having a few of these but only a few, and just at random, so I never associated them with my seizures.............

Personally, I am more apt to have Jamais Vu which is sort of the opposite. I might be someplace very familiar to me, but it seems like I have never been there before. When I have this it is hard to function since everything has become so illogical.

When reading about this elsewhere, I also ran into the term Presque Vu. That is the 'tip of the tongue' feeling of not being able to recall someone's name or other well known word. I get this a lot, but I think it is more widespread than just epilepsy.

The wiki article about deja vu actually references a specific type of epilepsy, temporal lobe epilepsy.

Presque Vu! OMG waht a revelation i just had! This I get constantly! and then it will bug me for about 2 or 3 minutes until I figure it out. or if I get distracted from trying to think of it, I wake up in the middle of the night going 'OMG, this is what i was trying to think of!" and i get all frazzled!

Now to learn to pronounce that word. lol

I have had both jamais and deja. In deja for me everything feels as though it has been exactly like it is at that time along with whatever someone is saying. I ask myself ,in my head, has this ever really happened before. I keep asking over and over until it stops. I do that as a way of dealing with it, i guess.
In jamais I feel like everything is off and the world is not right around me. I push myself to reassure me that I am where I am and everything is there as it should be. Things like I am on the couch, my son is here, we are watching TV, and I am here. Again another way of dealing with it.

To answer the question after all my blah-blah. It depends on the frequency. Real deja can happen but odds are if this is happening several times a week it has a greater chance of being seizure related. A qualified professional opinion is the best option to determine this.

I have too have deja vu all the time with my seizures. Mine also happen over and over and over in the course of a day. Everything and everyone feels like I know them. It is weird. I told a lady one day at work that I knew her from somewhere and she just looked at me kind of strange (this was before I knew I have seizures). The lady was from out of state and I had never laid eyes on her before. It was kind of embarrassing afterwards. I also get deja vu where I will think I recognize a person's name or the name of a thing (for example a company name) but really don't.

Of course, I have been experiencing this for quite sometime now and didn't know this wasn't normal.

To answer your question. I am not sure how to tell the difference because I was used to thinking this is normal for so long.

tam bam

I thought that was normal for everyone also until I got here and got educated.

Deja Vus

I used to get these A LOT! Sometimes 100's a day and this was prior to knowing I had E. I knew there was difference since I didn't feel like, "Wow, cool a deja vu!" The seizure deja vus made me feel really weird and uncomfortable and perhaps even a bit drained afterwards. The normal deja vus I find them a bit more exciting and curious and NOT weirded out. I remember talking to my boss one day and I got the seizure deja vu and excused myself. He came out afterwards to see if I was O.K. since he stated I looked like I had lost all my color. This does not happen with normal deja vus. To be honest I haven't had either deja vus in years and I kind of miss them since it was my warning. My seizure ones were more or less a "thought" (in my head deja vu) rather than something external. I don't know how to explain it, but there's definitely a difference and the best way to say it is one is fun and curious while the other is not so fun and a bit draining.

my seizure deja vu is part of my aura, and I can tell the difference because its more of a sinister feeling than your typical run of the mill deja vu.

Back
Top Bottom