Diabetes

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Here is one that came through my mail yesterday:

http://www.ultrawellness.com/blog/the-magic-pill

Interesting article. The only thing that bothers me about this blog and other articles as well is the suggestion that we should be taking all these supplements. I finally came to the conclusion that by eating varied diet, I do as well, actually better than when I was taking supplements. Supplements are just artificial chemicals taking the place of wholesome nutrients supplied by food. I do take a magnesium with zinc; that is all I take. I got into trouble taking Vitamin D3, tumeric capsules and fish oil; I felt unwell while taking them. My doc is on board with the magnesium but I even wonder these days about that. I see him tomorrow and it's a topic for conversation.

An interesting article that just flew by my nose just now:

The role of the gut and gut-associated lymphoid tissue in the development of type 1 diabetes has come into the research focus over the last 20 years. Accumulated evidence suggests that the gut is involved in the pathogenesis of this immune-mediated disease, and there seem to be several mechanisms by which such an effect may be mediated (1). Decreased microbial diversity in the gut, increased intestinal permeability, local inflammation in the gastrointestinal tract, and abnormal mucosal immune responses all may contribute to the appearance of β-cell autoimmunity and further progression to overt type 1 diabetes. The intestinal mucosa comprises the largest surface area in the body, and the gut-associated lymphoid tissue represents the most extensive immune organ. The gut plays accordingly a crucial role in the interaction between the host and the environment. Given that type 1 diabetes is the unfortunate consequence of the combined effects of the individual genetic setup and exogenous and host-related factors, it is not surprising that the gut might be involved in the process leading to clinical disease.

In this issue of Diabetes, Mojibian et al. (2) report that approximately half of the patients with type 1 diabetes, whom they studied, had a proliferative T-cell response to dietary wheat polypeptides and that the cytokine profile of the response was predominantly proinflammatory. A positive T-cell response to wheat polypeptides was associated with the HLA DR4-DQ8 haplotype but surprisingly not with the HLA DR3-DQ2 haplotype, which confers strong susceptibility to celiac disease. The investigators interpret their observations as reflecting a diabetes-related inflammatory state in the gut immune system associated with defective oral tolerance and a possible gut …

http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/content/58/8/1723.extract

I am just the messenger

hmmmm celiac has gone up 400% in the past 50 years.

I also heard on the news this morning that they have now realized that the appendix is more useful than they first considered it to be. Seems it is a holding place for GOOD bacteria, ready to jump in when needed. Has some connection to production of white blood cells as well. I will look for this info when I have some time.

What really interests me is type II diabetes. From what I've read, there are two very different mechanisms at work for type I and type II. I need to do some more research on that.

Back
Top Bottom