Diet

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Janus

Veteran
Reaction score
I have been sort of an extremist with health ie food. The bonuses are so fast and notable that i can't imagine eating another way now. I am curious how others feel or choose to eat. An interesting fact I found today, applies ;

The Nutritional value of Portobello Mushrooms: good source of Protein, Thiamin, Vitamin B6, Folate, Magnesium, Zinc and Manganese, and a very good source of Dietary Fiber, Riboflavin, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Phosphorus, Potassium, Copper and Selenium.
So there, and celery is key to my energy. Oatmeal is a happy campers daily breakfast, I truly believe..

I eat as i feel like Janus,i might have toast one morning,cereal the next and a fry up the day after that.I dont have a strict eating regime as much,just eat what i feel like.Apart from Macdonald's i avoid that 99.9% of the time as it makes me feel like utter crap afterwards.

But i must agree with you Oatmeal or Porridge Oats is nice,even the microwavable version is not to bad tasting.

I'm a big oatmeal fan too, though mostly in the cooler months, not so much when summer rolls around.

Lately I've been trying to lose weight, so I'm paying closer attention to healthy low-cal foods that fill me up. Chicken stock is good. You can have tons of some of the fancier greens like arugula, and they tend to have good nutrients. I've found that cucumbers have a lot of nutrients too, particularly if you eat the peel. I don't keep any sweets or desserts in the house, Im too likely to binge on them...

I'm such a health food freak... I agree 100% on the oatmeal. I'm on Topiramate, which has robbed me of an appetite so I have to force myself to eat. Oatmeal is great in the mornings when I don't want to eat and really healthy :)
I've found a new love for steamed Asparagus with lemon and parmesan cheese. Lots of nutrients and my daughter likes to cook it, which means I don't have to heehee ;)

Last edited:
mmm that asparagus dish sounds yummy. I just lunched on steamed sugar snap peas with slivered almonds and a little garlic salt, which hit the spot...

Oh how i love that asparagus. And, to say nothing of almonds. I eat loads of almond and peanut butter in the ground butter form. Trying to watch my bread intake but love those sandwiches. And more fruit is helpful this time of year. I am poor but manage to eat almost all organic. Even still; I just read that most of the "honey" on the store shelves is corn syrup with a little honey added to it, even the "organic" stuff. Oh no, I eat LOADS of honey too. What am i supposed to do?

There are places you can get real honey online, but if you can buy small batch honey from a local beekeeper or farm or health food store, that's even better. If it's labeled "raw" that means it's the real deal.

YES! thank you Nakamova. I always try for raw, unfiltered. I had some great stuff in New Hampshire 2 weeks ago when visiting family in southern Maine. Out here, you can get it but its gotten super expensive (with all the talk of bee decline ).

Back
Top Bottom