Disability tuition tax breaks for dependent

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Heavy Kevy

Stalwart
Reaction score
I’m looking into the state guidelines for dependent tuition assistance.
I found this, but have no idea how to translate it. I showed a friend who is a tax accountant and he said, “holy s**t! I’ll look into it “
Anyone have any experience with this procedure?

The deduction is equal to the amount by which the tuition payments, less any scholarships, grants or, financial aid received, exceed 25% of the taxpayer's Massachusetts adjusted gross income.🧐

Yikes! That seems less than clear all right. I'll take a stab:

Let's say your gross (pre-tax) income is $32,000. And your tuition is $18,000, but you get a $2,000 Scholarship.
So your tuition is now $16,000. Since 25% of your gross income = $8,000, your tuition exceeds it by $8,000. You get to deduct $8,000 from your income, and thus lower your tax.

Thank you!
That helped a lot. Gives me a starting point to start crunching numbers.

Back
Top Bottom