Divalproex - Hungry Hungry Hippo!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

MaeDae

New
Reaction score
I started the divalproex in early December. It took about a week maybe two before I started feeling the effects of the medicine. Most of the aura's/simple seizure activity has stopped, at least those that innerfered with my daily activities. My new dilema? I'm gaining weight. Dr did forewarn me that I might gain weight, well, I've gained atleast 12lbs, thats a whole pant size. I can't affort to gain weight. I've been trying really really hard to avoid foods that I shouldn't eat but my appetite is furocious. I actually feel like Im going to pass out or seize if I don't eat. I get really sleepy the same time everyday, no matter what time I go to bed, I've changed the time that I take it in the evenings (per dr's suggestion) to see if that would help. Do you guys think if I ask to change meds my dr will say yes? I'm itching all over as well (sister says skin is stretching to accomodate fat), could I be allergic to it? I need suggestions. I'm dieting now, well, at least Im trying too. If I don't do something soon I will be big as a house. I'm 5"9 1/2 and weigh 278lbs, I was at 266. I have to get this under control!!

I've always been told every medication has side effects, what changes is if you're able to deal with them. I had the same problem with this medication. Gained so much weight because I felt so ill if I didn't eat (pretty much nonstop). Your doctor won't be able to help you unless you talk to them! If they still feel you should try longer then that's fair, but I think it's also fair for you to raise your concerns!

I've always been told every medication has side effects, what changes is if you're able to deal with them. I had the same problem with this medication. Gained so much weight because I felt so ill if I didn't eat (pretty much nonstop). Your doctor won't be able to help you unless you talk to them! If they still feel you should try longer then that's fair, but I think it's also fair for you to raise your concerns!

how long did you take it? Once you stopped taking it, how long before you lost the weight? How much weight gained If I may ask?

I only took it for a couple months, during which I likely gained 10-15 pounds! (had to switch to my normally loose pants.) I did find after though that I lost it without too much effort. I went back to eating sensibly and wasn't feeling so rough anymore so going for a walk wasn't daunting. I'd say it took about a month and a half to get back into my normal pants.

maryltyme,

Its winter, we all itching....seriously...
but if itching goes nuts, talk to doc...Can be sign of allergic reaction…

My Son has lost weight while taking this med, not big loss but no gain, but his doc did warn him, if dosage high will increase his appetite....he put his weight loss down to sticking to the 3 (healthy, home made) meals a day and he still munches at night.....

maryltyme,

Its winter, we all itching....seriously...
but if itching goes nuts, talk to doc...Can be sign of allergic reaction…

My Son has lost weight while taking this med, not big loss but no gain, but his doc did warn him, if dosage high will increase his appetite....he put his weight loss down to sticking to the 3 (healthy, home made) meals a day and he still munches at night.....

So, after a few months or so it should go back the other way, meaning, I may loose the extra pounds? I am very concious of what I am eating and trying to not eat after 7pm. I have dental problems so fresh vegies is a small problem for me. I got some soft fruits and yogurt? to cold to excercise and can't afford the gym, but will try that also.

It is one of the warnings my Sons doc gave him, if dose is high, your appetite will increase....but often we eat and we don’t even know we are by picking all day…

if this itch is driving u nuts, check with doc.....because liver can push out toxin that can cause rash.......u could ask doc to check blood levels (new med), after few weeks they should be stabilizing....and it’s been few weeks now... don’t wait few months....

its winter here and cold and snow, and going from cold to warm all day causes major itch....feel like it’s never going to go away and my Son is itchy as hell too….he on the med not me, but I am just as itchy…we going to put water containers on all our radiators. Helps keep moisture in the air…bowl of water will do in each room near heaters…but u on new med, so take no risks please...

How about - putting veg into a blender or taking good ole fashioned stamper and stamping them into a puree?

How about - putting veg into a blender or taking good ole fashioned stamper and stamping them into a puree?

mmmmmmm, sounds good, will try that with a low fat dressing.
I did have blood drawn on last visit, he did talk about liver issues with this med. that was two weeks ago and since i havent heard from him, im assuming that test was negetative.

I dont have radiators in home, forced air, but, I can still put water next to vents to see if that helps (providing cats don't drink it) and I also added baby oil to daily hygene routine, still a little itchy, but i looked for rash and i dont seem to have one.

thanks Chaz
: )

good to hear they not called u back ringing any alarm bells...

Carrot and parsnip in blender or just stamped, mouthwatering.

You know, low fat sometimes we need more of it, somtimes we should treat ourselves to the real thing, using a only a little bit can be just as satisfying

had a soft avocado today, was so delicious it was like a royal feast. The simple things that make us happy…chopped some tomato into small bits and mixed together with tiny bit of Himalaya salt (loaded with good minerals)….oh, yummy understatement and healthy too boot!!

so that will be u and me filling up our water bowls ;)

Last edited:
woke this morning with water still in bowls, funny, one of my cats was sitting there looking confused as if she was saying "Am I suppose to drink this?"
I never had avocado by itself, how do you season? got to try it. Love gaucamolie tho.

giggle...I assume the cats normaly get milk?

Little himalaya salt and black pepper only and tea spoon organic mayo “-) (we never go semi fat, just use less of the real thing)….mixed with diced tomato, cucumber. lettuce...a bit of organic chicken and or bacon....yummy...I am hungry...

gonna get out to the store this evening, hope store has salt, how different is it than sea salt or iodized salt?

Chaz, has your son had any seizure activity since taking the divalproex? Aura's or seizures? I've been having very, very strong aura's I think, but they're shorter in duration and was wondering if it would be normal or is there somthing else I sh ould do? this is all new to me. Honestly, I thought the divalproex was suppose to make all of it go away, so when it happens, it scares me even more than before. I've gotten use to going 7 plus days without any events and when it happens, Im thinking ok this is it. Thanks for lending your ear.

mary : )

Mary, my Son was 17months seizure free on this med when he started on it…was taking 1000mg, then big breakthroughs started, 1st day time T/C….he went up to 1300 and now at 1500 (which doc says is low, he is big enough dude, but not carrying much additional weight, which he puts down to eating homemade food and regular eating schedule and I agree with him as much to my surprise I am losing weight on same schedule) we can link some of the breakthroughs to triggers, young people lifestyle = lack of sleep but mostly major stress ......now on 1500mg and is currently a few weeks seizure free, praise the Lord. Gets the odd twitch....we monitoring all closely...

Himalaya salt is loaded with good minerals, we use the white one as pink has more iron in it...very tasty and a pinch is all that’s needed, think u may need health store to buy this, yes more expensive but lasts a real long time......

7 plus days without any events - that must feel great...keep journal of all you breakthroughs to discuss with doc and don’t let anxiety to get the better of you Mary….but of course know when to pull the red flag, no one knows you better then u ;)

Back
Top Bottom