Do I really need another EEG?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

angelais

New
Reaction score
Three weeks ago I had a sleep deprived EEG. Now the same neurologist wants me to have an ambulatory EEG, where I basically wear the stuff on my head for five days, go about my usual routine and then it records into a little electronic device. I've already had two MRIs and a PET scan. What can this take home EEG show one three weeks ago and one a year ago didn't show?

I somehow get the feeling that he is just trying to bill more to my insurance company. This is only my second visit to this particular neurologist. A neurosurgeon referred me to him, since his specialty is supposedly epilepsy. (I was diagnosed a year ago, had some break through seizures etc. Long story)

We also talked about my migraines and he wrote a "prescription" for folic acid, which is not even a prescription, it's available over the counter. What the heck? I was hoping for some relief. Of course I should give it a try before I am so quick to judge.

Anyway, any input would be nice. I guess I am just not very trusting of doctors in general.

The ambulatory eeg shows you at home and active, wether its exercising, sleeping, cleaning , cooking, watching tv, having migranes, szs . It gives a better overview.
It might just help the dr see how you cope at home and what goes on with you.

My dad use to think the same thing about the billing,but those tests really showed what was going on with me at the time.

Welcome to the board, nice meeting you.

I ran out of meds and using homeopathy meds and the Gard Diet to control my szs without AEDS. Have questions feel free to ask me.

Riva

Last edited:
:hello: Angelais

Folate / Folic Acid is via prescription is
different from what is available over the
counter, hence why the script for it. If
the Neurologist wanted you to take the
Vitamin over the counter he would have
stated so; but this type of Folate / Folic
Acid as stated - is different.

Folic Acid - Vitamin B-9

Folate deficiency may result from increased loss of folate, as in renal dialysis and/or interference with metabolism (e.g., Folic Acid antagonists such as methotrexate); the administration of anticonvulsants, such as diphenylhydantoin, primidone, and barbiturates; alcohol consumption and, especially, alcoholic cirrhosis; and the administration of pyrimethamine and nitrofurantoin.

It is not unusual to have another run of
EEG, aEEG, vEEG, qEEG, etc. As the
Neurologist merely wants to monitor and
see the pattern for various reasons:

1) if you're not on medications, to
monitor your brainwaves

2) if you're on medications, to make
sure your medications is working

Last edited:
Seizure patterns can change over time too. He might want get a fresh perspective on what's happening with you now (as opposed to a year ago).

The EEGs measure different things than the MRIs & PET scan do.

Yeh...

You really shouldn't need to be tested many times. The only case that this should happen in is if it is in a very low spot in your brain as the current technology basically measures approximatly about 1-1 1/2" into your brain. This does account for error. Also any movement during the test is recorded as well as they use a particle that is not the most accurate particle to measure with though it's what they have available to them. They also do not use the proper amplitude and frequency calculations in their machins at many times so it really depends on who made the machine and when. They have basically been evolved in the same process as computers so you can see how quickly that is and they seemed to have lagged a bit. They have done extensive testing on this though and I think they are getting better at it. Who is they??? hehehehe :brock:

you can google my Zarabtul nick to learn more about my Quantum Mechanics research.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom