[Info] Do you take work breaks when a seizure happens?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

suebear

Veteran
Reaction score
In the world of epilepsy, it affects the nervous system, and there has been a determination of multiple symptoms and seizure types. Because of these various types, each person affected can and will most likely have a different response as well as recovery time. This is a difficult matter on the patient including other persons nearby. How to make the situation easier is to be calm, have patience, and be willing to assist.

[article continued on Examiner Workplace section]

Article published 3/3/2013

I am normally off work for 7-10 days, till my mouth heals up. (TC).
Head feels normal after 3-4 days.

I usually just stay home the next day. I work with my parents and they take me to work with them, I was getting ready and I had one, of course I couldn't go since I could barley move after that. I had one AT work once but I went in the next day, however my mouth took heavy damage after hitting the concrete floor.

I usually only take one day off unless I am in hospital. My husband knows if i will have a seizure that day generally when I wake up in the morning. I will not be quite there. Althought this has not been the pattern the last few times I have had seizures. I had them in the afternoon The morning was fine lots of energy. Sluggish in the affternoon and evening and no warning at all. I get no auras that i can tell. They are connected to my period so far that has been my only trigger point that we can tell for sure.

I usually only take one day off unless I am in hospital. My husband knows if i will have a seizure that day generally when I wake up in the morning. I will not be quite there. Althought this has not been the pattern the last few times I have had seizures. I had them in the afternoon The morning was fine lots of energy. Sluggish in the affternoon and evening and no warning at all. I get no auras that i can tell. They are connected to my period so far that has been my only trigger point that we can tell for sure.

I'm curious, do you ever have warnings of your seizures; when they will take place? You don't have to answer if you feel uncomfortable in talking about it but I'm just curious. It had taken me some time in reaching that point of seizure warning; I actually didn't get my first seizure warning until the first breakthrough (after the first surgery, in 1995)

Mine almost always happen overnight so I take the next day off.. always too weak, fuzzy and in pain to want to do anything. Except lay in bed and cuddle with the cat.

always take a couple days. depends tho what day of the week it is; run a business that can't skip a day mid week, and if that's the case (had one on both a monday and tuesday night before), then i have extra help that steps in.
i need time to heal emotionally too, a lot of times my mental state takes more brunt than my body :(

Suebear, Its funny.... now that I seem to be having more of them at least lately in the last year its almost like I can remember a few isoloated events afterwards that might be aruras but not quite sure? Like one time I remember walking around in circles before the full blown seizure most of the time I am just really really tired and fuzzy, sometimes my vision will get fuzzy. I do think I am developing a headache problem as of late. But most of the time just down for the count and don't remember a thing. Have an appointment for a second opinion with the Mayo clinic in Jacksonville next month since the Dr. here in Orlando is basicly worthless and not being very helpful except to get me supplied in maintience drugs. have another appointment with him in 6 months.

Tina

Suebear, Its funny.... now that I seem to be having more of them at least lately in the last year its almost like I can remember a few isoloated events afterwards that might be aruras but not quite sure? Like one time I remember walking around in circles before the full blown seizure most of the time I am just really really tired and fuzzy, sometimes my vision will get fuzzy. I do think I am developing a headache problem as of late. But most of the time just down for the count and don't remember a thing. Have an appointment for a second opinion with the Mayo clinic in Jacksonville next month since the Dr. here in Orlando is basicly worthless and not being very helpful except to get me supplied in maintience drugs. have another appointment with him in 6 months.

Mayo Clinic has a very good reputation for helping persons with this factor. When I had asked if you ever are aware, I was referring to auras before the seizure took place itself. For example, before the surgery in 1995, I had no warnings of seizures then I had my first breakthrough seizure five years later with a warning it was coming. That is how I became the perfect candidate for getting the VNS which helped me control the seizures when they took place. It was only over time with more testing we discovered what was actually happening and where the seizures were coming from. That brought the final decision of having the DBS installed to control the activity taking place within as the VNS did not have enough settings to handle it. The difference between the two, I don't need a magnet with the DBS.

Back
Top Bottom