Do you think driving laws are fair with regards to epilepsy?

Are driving laws pertaining to epilepsy fair?

• Yes

Votes: 162 45.5%
  • No

Votes: 122 34.3%
  • Not sure

Votes: 72 20.2%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Hi Neil, my husband is retired and we have a lot less money. We drive only to the local stores and places. Plus, right now, if our car broke down we would be walking.

To Be perfectly honest driving does not bother me,dont get me wrong i would love the freedom,but i know,bus and train times like the back of my hand.If i have to wait im quite happy to go for a few pints whilst im waiting.

Last edited:
To Be perfectly honest driving does not bother me,dont get me wrong i would love the freedom,but i know,bus and train times like the back of my hand.If i have to wait im quite happy to go for a few pints whilst im waiting.

My son and I are the same way. Whenever we move, we look for a bus stop before we look for a house close by. Let the bus driver do all of the worrying.

I think to be honst I think we are better off walking as there's enough idiots on the road e.g. Few weeks ago the wife and I were going along the M1 towards nottingham when we came across an almighty tailback as we finally got close to the incident we were amazed at what we saw about 10metres back from the roadside was a row of trees about 20ft high and a car was hung about halfway up the tree he had obviously fallen asleep at the wheel while doing some speed and driven up the steel barrier flipped the car through god knows what angle above the treetops and as the car came back towards earth the main trunk of the tree had gone through the drivers side window and the driver across the front seats and out through the passenger windoww I can only presume the driver was dead as the emergency services on site weren't in any hurry to get the driver out
Yes they had to cut the tree down to get the car onto a flatbed wagon I don't suppose tree surgeons are on call much from the emergency services

I voted No. However, after I hit the 'vote now' button I realized that I don't have enough information to form my own opinion. I only know the law here in Oregon and for here I think its fair. I know that each state is different and some may have laws that are just crazy.

Wow, Lureswinger! That's amazing.
I am looking forward to the day when they build and sell automatic self driving cars. A diagnostic test s/b done on one of those cars to make sure everything (like brakes) is functional.
We have a seatbelt law in place over here and they enforce it, too. That s/b hooked up if weight is on the seat.
Personally, the most frustrating issue about not driving is not having a picture id. That's important for cashing checks, getting 'carded' to prove age 21 for a bar, employment, passports, etc.
I'd be curious how many people in here have no picture id.

My son and I are the same way. Whenever we move, we look for a bus stop before we look for a house close by. Let the bus driver do all of the worrying.

Hell Yeah,i like chilling out on the train or bus!!!

Hi Neil,

When my husband drives, people dart out across the street. They do not do it at a crosswalk either. I do not have to worry about killing one of these stupid people. They do not look to see if cars are coming.

I know I would kill somebody if I drove. But Alex has just nocturnal myoclonic seizures. He might be just fine. But I would not mind an automatic one driveing for me. Or a cute guy. lol

Not only are they unfair they verge on discrimination. We aren't allowed to drive but somehow we still get to pay taxes for the roads?....we should get free taxis or something if that's how it's going to be.

i miss my motorcyle,
I know who else does to,
I had to talk her out of riding it when she found out she had epilepsy

i miss my motorcyle,
I know who else does to,
I had to talk her out of riding it when she found out she had epilepsy[/QUOT]

I don;t have one...if I did though they would have to physically come and take the motorcycle away to keep me from riding it.

killing yourself is one thing, get a bicycle.

it is when you have the ability to easily kill others.

I totally agree imagine how many people you could kill if u had a seizure at the wheel and slammed a car sideways across a pedrestian crossing full of people

Well I hate not being able to drive also,and miss being able to get around better.But I just as soon walk and catch the bus.Bets hurting someone else.

Where do you draw the line, though? I have t/c seizures every six months, and only at night. Should I drive? It's a very small chance I'd have a seizure at the wheel, but the chance is still there. I live 40 miles from my University, I can't afford to move, and my girlfriend can't take the time to drive me. I would be homeless if I couldn't drive.

I actually relish, not having a drivers' license. People are far too dependent on their 'motorized' vehicles to get something done. One of my relatives, who has absolutely no physical problem walking(but I do, due to my health issues), would rather drive two blocks to the post office, instead of walking.

Sure, I can't go on cross-country trips, unless someone else drives', or take a train, or plane. Yet, I don't have to worry about insurance, or car repairs.

I do go long distances on my bike. But I don't have any of the financial hassles, of a car.:woot:

There are too many bad drivers' on the road already. That is another reason I refuse to get a drivers' license.

Last edited:
Well I hate not being able to drive also,and miss being able to get around better.But I just as soon walk and catch the bus.Bets hurting someone else.

Think of it this way. It also beats being killed by a drunk driver while you would be behind the wheel. Also in that vein, you might have to prove that the drunk driver was the one that severely injured you. This would cause your E to be potentially used against you.

I am not saying, that since you have E, you should give in to those telling you not to drive. Just that the emotional cost of it being used against you, may be too great.

I do not miss driving because I never did drive. When we move, we always move to a home close by a bus stop. We also have Dial A Ride. Check with your transit center about it. A car comes and takes you where you want to go. You have to call

Back
Top Bottom