Do you think driving laws are fair with regards to epilepsy?

Are driving laws pertaining to epilepsy fair?

• Yes

Votes: 162 45.5%
  • No

Votes: 122 34.3%
  • Not sure

Votes: 72 20.2%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Thank you for the cheers.

I do not feel that any pressure was put on me. In fact, because of my seizures, I think they felt safer with me not having a driver's license.

I never did care what society thought about my driving. They are not going to do my driving for me!!

Peer pressure is something that I avoid. Everyone else should avoid peer pressure. It is a trap to make you do something that is wrong or you do not want to do.

I do not miss driving because I never did drive. When we move, we always move to a home close by a bus stop.
I'm the same Ruth,
I have never learnt to drive, not because of my epilepsy but because I just never been interested in driving. I live pretty close to the main streets of town so I do alot of walking. There are also buses available but I only use them if it's in the next town & too far to walk.

My father was a driving instructor so I was a big disappointment.
At 16 through to 20 I had many motorbikes and a advanced full bike licence.
At 20 I learnt to drive a car, passed my test and since then I have had many cars.
My condition is I can go fit free for 24/36 months then bam a fit, I loose my licence for a full year.
My thinking is this if there is a clear pattern like mine then make sure the person clears the three months past the last fit and then review it.
Yes I'm a petrol head and love driving and for two years didn't want to drive as I started getting panic attacks which I'm fighting and winning.

Thank you for the cheers.

I do not feel that any pressure was put on me. In fact, because of my seizures, I think they felt safer with me not having a driver's license.

I never did care what society thought about my driving. They are not going to do my driving for me!!

Peer pressure is something that I avoid. Everyone else should avoid peer pressure. It is a trap to make you do something that is wrong or you do not want to do.

Peer pressure is more than a parent worrying about when their child(ren) first learns to drive.

Society makes it harder on those that don't/can't(or won't) drive, and with despicable ignorance.

One example of this is underneath a highway overpass, near my house. I first lived in the neighborhood, in another house, for three months after I got married, back in 1992(divorced 2000). I moved back to the neighborhood in 2007. The road that goes under the overpass is a two-lane asphalt road, that didn't get a sidewalk........UNTIL A MONTH AGO!!!!

(not yelling at you, just disgusted about why it took twenty years of complaining by area citizens about having to either, walk on the road, or on the giant rocks that were on the side of the road)

While I am a cyclist, when I lived in Duluth(Minnesota; Nov.'02-Jan.'07), there was a Kmart in the city suburbs. There was no bike rack to lock my bike on when I went there. So I would have to lock it up to the cage that had all the portable propane tanks for the customers. I got in more than one argument with them, about how they promoted an air of superiority by refusing to have a bike rack in a city where outdoor recreation(biking, hunting, fishing) are big. Yes, There were plenty of sidewalks near the Kmart in question along with convenient bus stops. But there is still hostility towards those that don't drive. Regardless of whether the pressure is coming from family, or society.

As a cyclist, I prefer to ride on the road. Not because the traffic code allows a cyclist to ride on the road in DC-Metro region(DC, MD, VA). But because it is safer to ride on the road, than on the sidewalk.

The city nearest to the town that I live in, banned riding on the sidewalk in 1957. While that doesn't affect me, it certainly affects less experienced cyclists'. Because of that, a cyclist has to ride on the road. A lot of cyclists' encounter hostile drivers, who don't know the law about riding on the sidewalk and just shout to 'GET ON THE SIDEWALK!!/GET OFF THE ROAD!!'.

The continual theme/thread, is that, anyone that doesn't drive, is somehow treated like a leper by motorized society(and/or motorists').

Here's one for you as a Brit I'm unaware of the driving situation in the us but, I know it's. Film but in "My sisters keeper" version 2009.lawyer Campbell Alexander played by Alex Baldwin has a epileptic dog detector called judge.
Campbell alexander has a full blown tonic clonic in the halls, shortly afterwards he is seen driving a bloody nice car complete with the dog to give Anna the much needed document.

Maybe I should move stateside.

Sorry if I spoilt the film. ;-)

I felt I owed it to the world to surrender my license. I totaled two vehicles due to epilepsy and no one was injured. That was enough for me. -Jeff

Dude, respect to ya, I know a lot of people whom don't have e and they are a danger and refuse to surrender their licence.

Hi Toxic-Virus,

Thank you for giving up your driver's license screaminghelix. I know that took a lot of courage.

One time I was looking out my window at the street. Their was a 4-car collision. The person who was the cause of it had a heart attack. He was the only one who died.

Maybe he would have lived longer if he had not been driving.

I decided not to drive when I was 16 years old. At that time, people with epilepsy could drive. I thought to myself, "what if I have a seizure and kill myself or someone else." I am 69 years old now and I have never regretted that decision. I have never had a driver's license or even thought about getting one.

Here's one for you as a Brit I'm unaware of the driving situation in the us but, I know it's. Film but in "My sisters keeper" version 2009.lawyer Campbell Alexander played by Alex Baldwin has a epileptic dog detector called judge.
Campbell alexander has a full blown tonic clonic in the halls, shortly afterwards he is seen driving a bloody nice car complete with the dog to give Anna the much needed document.

Maybe I should move stateside.

Sorry if I spoilt the film. ;-)

Hi Toxic-virus, the law in the US is that it is illegal for a person with epilepsy to drive. A person can if they have been seizure-free for a good many years.

It depends on the state that you live in. The DMV is the Department of Motor Vehicles and they say that you cannot drive. People lie to the DMV and do not tell the DMV that they have epilepsy. That is how they get their driver's license.

They are putting my life and the lives of others in danger.

I agree with brain. Except I think they are bull and if drunks and druggies and what not can keep their drivers license then I think we should be able to. I would like to get my CDL and be a truck driver.

I live in Mississippi and you must be seizure free for one year. I would like a DL so I could just drive to and from work (about 3 miles). My seizures have improved in severity, but are much more frequent. I do have an aura that is very obvious to me.

Fair...even though it SUCKS!

As much as I hate not being able to drive, I have already been in 2 really serious car wrecks while driving on the freeway. Luckily, I was the only car involved! I am LUCKY to be alive...God wants me to live, even though I don't deserve it! My cars were completely destroyed. They had to cut me out of the last car.

If I had hurt anyone else...I wouldn't have been able to live with myself. :soap:

Hi Jeffrey, seesure1965 and Mungie,

Welcome to CWE. It was started by Bernard out of love for his wife Stacy.
That love permeates throughout the whole forum.

I live in CA and I do not know what the law is here. I am not seizure free. Whenever we move, I make sure their is a bus stop close by. I also make sure that the stores are close. It is a fifteen minute walk to the stores. We live in a nice neighborhood.

People think that we are walking a long distance to the stores but 15 minutes is not that far. I am now with a walker. I fall down a lot.

I sure cannot drive.

I have had only one real car accident that was my fault,
21 years old, new Ford Capri, two young girls about 19 year, me posing.
Foot slipped off break and onto accelerator on a small bend. Skidded and kissed another car. Not. Big deal but that's all.

At the moment I have my licence, I have a advanced motor cycle licence as well, (father was a advanced driving instructor) But recently I have not felt 100% in control so I have taken myself off the road.

I have work friends whom one gets tunnel vision and migraines, I told him next time I will take his keys off him.

Only needs a split second to take or change a life forever, can you live with that.

No, I REALLY want to drive but I can never hit 6 months so basically I am screwed.
20, have a car but cannot get a license, I think California is one if not the strickest about the driving for 6 months.
They should make it a month or so, it's not really fair for us.
I wouldn't be surprised if I hit 30-40 and never touch a steering wheel.

Hi Azusa,

I am glad to meet you. Sorry that I missed your introduction in the Foyer Room.

This forum was made by Bernard out of love for his wife Stacy. Stacy has epilepsy. That love permeates throughout the whole forum.

I live in CA as well. I wish the laws were more strict.
My sister has epilepsy, as well. She lied to the DMV and was in several car accidents during her lifetime. She can no longer drive because of other health problems.

A lot of people with epilepsy lie to the DMV to get there driver's license. Other illnesses that the DMV has strict driving laws on, people lie about it. There have been several accidents by people with illnesses other than epilepsy.

I am glad that I decided never to drive.

Hi Azusa,

I am glad to meet you. Sorry that I missed your introduction in the Foyer Room.

This forum was made by Bernard out of love for his wife Stacy. Stacy has epilepsy. That love permeates throughout the whole forum.

I live in CA as well. I wish the laws were more strict.
My sister has epilepsy, as well. She lied to the DMV and was in several car accidents during her lifetime. She can no longer drive because of other health problems.

A lot of people with epilepsy lie to the DMV to get there driver's license. Other illnesses that the DMV has strict driving laws on, people lie about it. There have been several accidents by people with illnesses other than epilepsy.

I am glad that I decided never to drive.

How do you lie to the DMV? Don't you need permission from the doctor to get a license?
I wanted to lie to my doctor but my parents disagreed, well on the 2nd seizure, 4 months in.

When I was young in 1959, you did not need a doctor's permission. You just learned how to drive and get your license.

The DMV asked if you had any health problems but you did not not answer it. That was lying according to my conscions. I had to make up my own mind if I wanted to drive or not.

I decided not to drive. I have never regretted my decision.

i havent seen six months in years, i am not to worried about it,

Back
Top Bottom