Do you think driving laws are fair with regards to epilepsy?

Are driving laws pertaining to epilepsy fair?

• Yes

Votes: 162 45.5%
  • No

Votes: 122 34.3%
  • Not sure

Votes: 72 20.2%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I agree to a certain extent but at the same time I think they need to look at us as individuals more.

For instance, turns out I've had epilepsy as long as I've had my drivers licence and I've never had an accident or even gotten a ticket. I have a perfect record, and I'm not at risk of losing control of the vehicle (anymore today than I was six months ago before I talked to my doctor, voluntarily!). My neurologist recommended my licence be reinstated, and the ministry denied the request despite the fact that I'm not at risk of doing anything other than embarrassing myself in public now and again. I get enough warning that even though it wouldn't hinder my driving I would choose to not drive anyway, because safety is more important than convenience. But to me, a simple partial coming on is about as impairing as having a couple drinks and driving. Also not something I'd do. And not illegal. I don't understand who decides these things!

My son has epilepsy to, for me I won't ever be able to drive, but my son alex, when it's time I believe will be able to drive. His seizures are nocturnal and I think that his way of thinking is not grown up enough to drive. Maybe about at the age of 20. Me, I have way to many seizures. But Katiered what if you did not get that warning that one time? I would not be able to do it. But if you think you can, and feel free in your heart about it then do it. You know what I would do? I would go get an extendted eeg done and see how many seizures you have in a day. Be honest with yourself. I have simple partials to and i never know how many I have in a day. I'm sorry If I sound bossy, just take the test and do what you think is right. Good luck. Teresa

My seizures are currently so mild that people have asked me why I don't just lie on the license application and get my driver's license. Well, for one, no one knows for sure that another grand mal won't appear out of no where (even though I haven't had one since puberty), and for two I always ask those people how they would feel if I had a moment where I lost control for a second and accidentally killed someone they loved. That usually gets them quiet. After that I give them the third fact that should be so obvious, and that is fact three- to lie on a legal document is to end up in jail. None of those three things sound appealing to me. Also epilepsy is so unpredictable that I am not sure laws are unfair. Diabetics need only sense their sugar is going low and take a sip of coke or something. My best friend is diabetic and she usually does just that.

Last edited:
I still feel, that having a drivers' license is society wanting people drive instead of using any other form of transportation.

I could have tried to test for a drivers' license. But by the time the state give me permission to test, I had done a 180 and changed my mind.

I get around on my racing road bike at 25-30mph.

I want a road racing bike, but right now I'm getting around on my little mountain bike. I probably don't top out very fast on that. I don't understand why communities don't push for more public transportation. I rode the city bus for many years before I got harassed by a bus driver. Now I won't ride it, but I think there is a lot of socio-economic propaganda crap that prevents people from going the public transport route. In cities like the one where I live (a small one in Florida) everyone just assumes you're a prostitute or drug dealer if you ride the city bus. As for me, I have epilepsy, so people who make those assumptions can just...well...you know...

My best friend is diabetic and she usually does just that.

Eva, I fully agree with everything that you said. I am 70 years old and I have felt that way since I was diagnosed at age 6.

I also have diabetes. Driving with low blood sugar is dangerous. One of the complications of Diabetes is seizures. When I have a seizure, I do not know if it is epilepsy related or diabetic related. So, if a person has both epilepsy and diabetes, I do not recommend driving.

Eva, I fully agree with everything that you said. I am 70 years old and I have felt that way since I was diagnosed at age 6.

I also have diabetes. Driving with low blood sugar is dangerous. One of the complications of Diabetes is seizures. When I have a seizure, I do not know if it is epilepsy related or diabetic related. So, if a person has both epilepsy and diabetes, I do not recommend driving.

Ruth, I'm really sorry that you have that combination. When I was a tot my PCP told me that I was hypoglycemic, which I understand to be considered prediabetic. Some how when I saw the same doctor a few years ago he said I was only pre-hypoglycemic. Now you tell me what the heck that is supposed to mean, please. :noevil: :banana:

Anyway, one would think people would use their common sense when it comes to driving. With the exception of those who may honestly believe their condition is under control and something unfortunate happens, if your abilities are questionable please don't drive! It sucks and it's hard, but some one else's life is not worth it to me. I'd rather show up to work wet on a rainy day than drive and seize and kill some one. Seriously.:rock:

I want a road racing bike, but right now I'm getting around on my little mountain bike. I probably don't top out very fast on that. I don't understand why communities don't push for more public transportation. I rode the city bus for many years before I got harassed by a bus driver. Now I won't ride it, but I think there is a lot of socio-economic propaganda crap that prevents people from going the public transport route. In cities like the one where I live (a small one in Florida) everyone just assumes you're a prostitute or drug dealer if you ride the city bus. As for me, I have epilepsy, so people who make those assumptions can just...well...you know...

I have epilepsy, too. I ride my racing road bike everywhere except on inclement days. Those days, I use public transportation to get somewhere. I actually went to one bike shop today and bought some new pedals for my racing road bike. I biked over there, on one busy(40mph) four-lane divided road, but mostly on a two-lane road with only a 25mph speed limit.

If you want to earnestly pursue getting a road bike, give me a holler. Because I want you to be able to ride safe.

Last edited:
I've had to stop driving a few times. I didn't like it, but it was fair for the safety of others. In Missouri, they don't actually take your license, but you are liable for any damages you may cause after the doctor says not to drive.

I was still allowed to race at one of the private tracks. My race car is caged I use a helmet, although that only does so much when I max out on dirt damn near 100. If I can't drive, I'll find something to do, but you better bet, I'll get back to driving as quick as possible.

I also have Type 1 Diabetes + E and just this past summer was I able to drive again. There have been many, many years when I wasn't able to drive, due to E so when I could drive again, I was thrilled. Unfortunately, on Dec. 24, I was on my way to my family's Christmas dinner and went into a Hypoglycemic attack and wrecked my car. I usually have an "aura" before a seizure, this time I didn't. It came on so quick and I didn't have time to pull over. And usually when my glucose drops that low ( it was 40, shouldn't be below 80 for me), I can feel it and start feeling shaky and lightheaded. This time, I didn't feel any of that. The paramedics and the dr. in the ER were very understanding. I wasn't ticketed, but my car is damaged greatly. One thing, tho, it scared the crap out of me and I don't think I want to drive again! I plowed into a fence and tore part of it it down but thank god, I had no injuries. They kept me in the hospital for about 3 1/2 hours to make sure my glucose got to the normal range and was going to stay there. Both my grown children came to the hospital to take care of me and bring me home. They were used to seizures when growing up, but not scary accidents and Hypoglycemic attacks. I didn't have Diabetes when they were growing up. At least they are willing to help me out now and I'm grateful for that.

Once my car is repaired, I probably will sell it. No more scary accidents. Plus I don't want the temptation sitting there.

I've had to stop driving a few times. I didn't like it, but it was fair for the safety of others. In Missouri, they don't actually take your license, but you are liable for any damages you may cause after the doctor says not to drive.

I was still allowed to race at one of the private tracks. My race car is caged I use a helmet, although that only does so much when I max out on dirt damn near 100. If I can't drive, I'll find something to do, but you better bet, I'll get back to driving as quick as possible.

I don't drive because of the safety of others. I don't drive because of the insanity of others. I feel safer on my bike, than in a car, truck, SUV, or van. I can deal with drivers better on my bike, than if I was behind the wheel.

I also have Type 1 Diabetes + E and just this past summer was I able to drive again. There have been many, many years when I wasn't able to drive, due to E so when I could drive again, I was thrilled. Unfortunately, on Dec. 24, I was on my way to my family's Christmas dinner and went into a Hypoglycemic attack and wrecked my car. I usually have an "aura" before a seizure, this time I didn't. It came on so quick and I didn't have time to pull over. And usually when my glucose drops that low ( it was 40, shouldn't be below 80 for me), I can feel it and start feeling shaky and lightheaded. This time, I didn't feel any of that. The paramedics and the dr. in the ER were very understanding. I wasn't ticketed, but my car is damaged greatly. One thing, tho, it scared the crap out of me and I don't think I want to drive again! I plowed into a fence and tore part of it it down but thank god, I had no injuries. They kept me in the hospital for about 3 1/2 hours to make sure my glucose got to the normal range and was going to stay there. Both my grown children came to the hospital to take care of me and bring me home. They were used to seizures when growing up, but not scary accidents and Hypoglycemic attacks. I didn't have Diabetes when they were growing up. At least they are willing to help me out now and I'm grateful for that.

Once my car is repaired, I probably will sell it. No more scary accidents. Plus I don't want the temptation sitting there.

How did you develop type one diabetes later in life? That makes me wonder about what my doctor told me so long ago.

How did you develop type one diabetes later in life? That makes me wonder about what my doctor told me so long ago.

After I had my lobectomy, I went into a deep depression and nothing would ease it, so my neuropsychiatrist finally put me on Zyprexa, a med used for bipolar and schizophrenia. Within two months, the pounds started falling off and then I noticed my vision was getting very blurred. When I went to my optometrist,she asked if I had started any new meds. When I told her I had, she told me to get to that dr. ASAP to tell him I now had Diabetes. Now there is a Black Box warning for this drug and several others that are used for depression/bipolar disorder. Abilify is one of them, too.

After I had my lobectomy, I went into a deep depression and nothing would ease it, so my neuropsychiatrist finally put me on Zyprexa, a med used for bipolar and schizophrenia. Within two months, the pounds started falling off and then I noticed my vision was getting very blurred. When I went to my optometrist,she asked if I had started any new meds. When I told her I had, she told me to get to that dr. ASAP to tell him I now had Diabetes. Now there is a Black Box warning for this drug and several others that are used for depression/bipolar disorder. Abilify is one of them, too.

Oh man. That is really strange. I'm sorry to hear that. I wonder how a drug like that could cause diabetes. I'm guessing you got off the drug and the diabetes stayed. As if these drugs weren't scary enough already!

I previously took Prozac, Zyprexa, Seroquel, Paxil, and Clonidine(not all at the same time). Now they are all on the 'warning' list.

I am glad I am only on one med, for my epilepsy.

I don't drive because of the safety of others. I don't drive because of the insanity of others. I feel safer on my bike, than in a car, truck, SUV, or van. I can deal with drivers better on my bike, than if I was behind the wheel.

Back when I was 16, right after I was diagnosed, I was riding my bike (coincidentally right in front of where I live now) an was almost struck while I was doing nearly 40 mph. I'm more scared outside a cage than I am inside. We all have our reasons. I like driving the 2 1/2 ton truck. :D

Hi, I have type 2 diabetes. What did your doctor tell you a long time ago? It can be controlled by diet. Get yourself tested for Diabetes. It is a simple blood test.

I was tested during a hospital stay because of status epilepsy. They were surprised that I had diabetes. I did not have any of the warning signs.

Smart decision!!

Total weight of the truck. 1/2 ton capacity. Just an F150. Smaller than the new ones. ;)

Back
Top Bottom