Do you think driving laws are fair with regards to epilepsy?

Are driving laws pertaining to epilepsy fair?

• Yes

Votes: 162 45.5%
  • No

Votes: 122 34.3%
  • Not sure

Votes: 72 20.2%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I voted "not sure", because I know the laws vary so much from state to state. I'm actually suprised that the doc didn't have my license pulled, but he also knows that I rarely drive. The main reason I don't drive is more so because of my fibro. I feel like I'm drunk driving, even though I'm not drunk. I have young kids and generally if I have to go somewhere I have the 2 year old with me. I cannot risk having an accident with him in the car.

There's a few other things that stick out in my mind. One time I was driving, when I first started having seizures but didn't know yet what they were. I got that weird feeling, and just KNEW I had to pull over. As soon as I got to where I needed to go and put the car in park, I had a seizure. After I snapped out of it I drove home, and that 2 miles I drove seemed like the longest 2 miles of my life. Thank God there was nobody else on the road. I'll never forget that day. Also, even though I always have long auras before my seizures, there was *one* time I had one with no warning whatsoever. So I always have that in the back of my head with regards to driving.

I voted yes.I'll have to admit in the very beginning when I was told that I could no longer drive due to my seizures I was heartbroken and absolutely furious. It hurt me so bad I guess because I had just turned 21 and I had a new 2000 Mustang sitting in my driveway, and then to be told that I could no longer drive. Oh! It was the worse feeling ever. But, as the years went by I'm glad that I wasn't behind the wheel. Because all it takes is one seizure to cause an accident. And, you have no idea how heartbroken I would be if I knew because of that seizure I was the reason someone got injured or even killed. I don't even like thinking about that. I think that is why to this day even after having brain surgery and the surgeons giving me permission to drive I still decide not to. I guess I'm just not ready yet.

Last edited:
Party Plates

A couple of years ago, Ohio started issueing special bright yellow plates with red lettering to convicted drunk drivers. This has been good in a lot of ways, if nothing but the embarrassment factor.

A few problems with the system.

- Some of the young folks almost think of them as a badge of honor, thus the nickname Party Plates.

- If a child or spouse gets the drunk driving conviction, the parents or other spouse (car owner) now have a car with the plates and were innocent.

- If you have enough money to get a high priced lawyer, they will almost always plea the charges down. Thus the rich just have to pay a lawyer bill with no license suspension, no jail time, and no special plates.

- If you are that person that got caught the only time you ever drove drunk, the police will target you more and pull you over for any slight offense.

Great intentions of this law, just some unintended consequences.

:soap:

Public Transportation

Public Transportation is not an option for those of us not living in cities. It is just not economically feasible.

The closest cab for me would be over 30 miles away and the closest mass transit system over 50 miles away.

That doesn't mean I oppose it where it makes sense, just not on option for many of us.

I think driving laws are fair in Ohio saying that only knowing that there is no set time to wait ;)

Last edited:
It seems like the inconsistencies in driving laws and lack of public transportation limit mobility.

If I wanted to start driving, but lived in an area with a very strict law, I'd have to potentially sell property, find an appropriate place to live (without driving!), and hopefully find a good job there as well (without discrimination).

The complexity of this whole system is very frustrating.

about the law. Well i have not been able to drive. I would not want to. I have no idea when these seizure are coming on, and if i was behind the wheel driving i could kill someone and myself. Why take the risk of killing someone and hurting yourself, be safe and walk. I never had license so i don`t have any idea what i am missing.

nana:clap:

Nana
I feel the same way you do about driving. I use to drive,bu I don't miss it. There's always public transportation. There's always walking,riding a bike. It would my worst nightmare if I hit someone while driving especially a kid. I haven't drove a car for about ten years. Again I don't miss it. With gas prices now a days it's amazing how people can afford to drive. Whenever I use to drive I could fill the tank of the truck I use to drive for twenty dollars. Today it would cost over sixty dollars. It would cost three times as much as did back then. I hate to see gas prices when your kids are old to drive. It would be even worse as time progresses.

Tell me about it Hawke... We have four drivers. Luckily my boys are paying for their own now. I also think you are right that it is going to get worse. England was paying $7.00 USD 10 yrs ago. We have been rather lucky for a long time.

I would like Rebecca to at least know that sense of freedom. We are slowly getting a metro system that functions here in the Southland, but one does need to drive to the stations. I drive everywhere, though I do plan it so that I save on trips.

Tell me about it Hawke... We have four drivers. Luckily my boys are paying for their own now. I also think you are right that it is going to get worse. England was paying $7.00 USD 10 yrs ago. We have been rather lucky for a long time.

I would like Rebecca to at least know that sense of freedom. We are slowly getting a metro system that functions here in the Southland, but one does need to drive to the stations. I drive everywhere, though I do plan it so that I save on trips.
I started to drive approximately 8 years ago. Frankly, there are a lot of idiots out there and it's really scary sometimes. It would be my luck that one of them would get me into an accident and somebody could be seriously injured.

Initially, I loved the freedom, but had to really pay attention to traffic signs. I could not really find my way around with any ease. My sense of direction is getting better, but I heavily rely on those GPS or navigational services.

Well it seems driving laws & testing is going to get tougher in California. Then possibly around the country. They are implementing a newer testing system to prevent people who have trouble seeing at night, or general poor vision. This new test involves lines flashing on a screen. They start off sharp and clear, then slowly fade. All while you stare at a spot on the monitor as the lines are bouncing around the screen.

DMV testing

IMHO this could cause some to experience seizures. But IMHO this test in general is bogus. it doesn't really give a fair reading on a persons range of sight.

Driving Laws.

I think driving laws dealing with seizures are fair. I also think they need to be more strict. Some states don't abide by the laws regarding seizures.

I think driving laws dealing with seizures are fair. I also think they need to be more strict. Some states don't abide by the laws regarding seizures.
Yeah, they're pretty fair. They should do an idiot test. If a person is deemed an idiot or caught doing something outragiously and deliberately stupid, they should have driving rights removed for a while.

I have encountered a lot of people who scare the heck out of me. I avoid heavy traffic at all costs.

As I've said, they seem to be pretty fair, what worries me is people that don't abide by the restrictions.....

Some people just don't have common sense though. In Washington state we have great public transportation plus if you are on SSI or medicaid. You get Taxis for free and Busses and They come pick you up and take you to where ever you need to go. If somebody were driving in my condition, and I knew about it, I would not even be on the road walking. Try to count this a blessing.It keeps the other part of us in better shape. If you don't like it, change it.

You have to remember, not everyone has access to public transportation. Some of us live in rural areas where there are no taxis or bus systems available. This summer, I will be checking out whether or not I can bike to my place of employment. With gas prices the way they are. The thing is, believe it or not, you can get ticketed if you have a seizure while riding a bike, and be restricted from riding a bike...at least in California. I know, sounds crazy..but it's true.

I agree with John-Forrest. I do not live in a city with any sort of mass transportation...or any sort of public transportation at all, come to think of it...I do not live in a city at all. I hate cities, they are conventions of rats or mice.

I also agree with thoughts about my getting around. Although I have had some accidents as a result of seizures, I have never hurt anyone or even hit any sort of cars, etc. I have only intruded on trees and the such. I just had my license yanked last week so it will take at least 6 months with no seizures to get it back, but, noone has to worry ever again because even if I do not have any seizures for the next 20 years and become the best driver in the world, my family would blow my head off with a loaded .44 before they would ever let me get behind the wheel again...even if to just clean the dashboard.

I would suggest that there should be some sort of "extreme" license only for extreme situations. That way I could drive if there were some sort of dangerous situation. For example, if my wife has a heart attack and needs to get to the hospital FAST, I should be able to drive her to the hospital. Otherwise, we will have to wait AT LEAST 30 minutes to be able to get any ambulance here and then another 30 minutes to get back to the hospital..that is a total of one hour, by that time she will probably be dead. Come to think of it, I do not care what the law thinks....if there is an extreme situation....I will drive regardless of the law and probably get arrested when I get to the hospital merely to save my wifes' life.

The law is pretty screwed up.

Back
Top Bottom