Do you think there is a stigma associated with epilepsy?

Is there a stigma associated with epilepsy?

• Yes

Votes: 175 84.1%
  • No

Votes: 17 8.2%
  • Not sure

Votes: 16 7.7%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

stigma epilepsy

Hello
Thanks I feel weird for ju8st finding this site I have been using e.com for years and am so thankful for the info. I have gained there from folks like this.

Sorry my words can get lost in translation a bit.
This "man" was in his early 20,s and looked about 16
He was tired all the time and very lazy .
I am a nice and assumed it was because he had a new born
oh no I was wrong and he had been awake all night playing video games.

I just figured out it was not his fault he became this but his Mothers.
and I do not hold grudges but I would still like to have a few words with her.
For raising such a lazy slacker.
He was eventually fired for the same type of behavior . so it was not just me thinking this way.
I always feel the love Ruth thanks.
:e: stigma is wiped out with education. Rick :e:

Hi Rick, enjoyed your poem!! It expressed perfectly how you feel.

Maybe, you can tell him to go for walks with you or a sport.

When my children were old enough, the first thing I taught them was how to make cookies. I went from there to making their beds. I wanted them to learn how to cook. I figured my sons and daughter might move out and be on their own before they got married. I had them each do different chores around the house and cooking and cleaning up the kitchen.

I have a son who cannot work. He is disabled and lives with us. I did not have to tell him to do chores around the house. He automatically does. When he is finished, he has time to go for walks everyday and recreation.

Mother's have to teach their children to do chores, cooking and other things in order for them not to be lazy.

My Mother did not teach me and I did not know how to cook when I was a teenager. I was in the Girl Scouts and I had to make cookies for everyone. I thought that would be easy. My mother did not help me, I was on my own. I looked up a good recipie in a cook book. I did exactly what I thought the directions said. I, apparently, did not understand the directions. I took them to the get to gether and they were hard as a rock. They were not edible.

My Mother was there and she was embarrassed. She went to the store and bought cookies. When we got home, she bawled me out. She then asked me what I did. I showed her the recipe and told her exactly what I did. She got angry and called me stupid. She then told me what I did wrong.

I never forgot that, because I was the one who got teased by my friends for not knowing how to make cookies. I never told them that it was my mother's fault for not teaching me how to cook anything. They all knew how to cook cookies and other things.

It sounds like he is addicted to playing video games. It also sounds like he has insomnia. I have it sometimes. What can he do all night? If he does housework, he will wake up everyone in the house. In this day and age, it is to dangerous to go for a walk in the middle of the night.

Last edited:
Is there a STIGMA???

Bernard,

I would say YES & NO... Of course back in the day.. We have overcome so much... Eventhough we still have alot to overcome...

We will overcome them with all the positive energy... With example your site...

Other Epilepsy sites... In my opinion we have to get across to the younger genneration to hold thier head up proud...

They also need too know thier history on Epilepsy & Epileptics...

Think about what that young lady has helped Epilepsy.. In the past couple years...

I was off line last year... Due too Hurricane IKE... I was so proud too go on FB and learn about it... Was such a vibrant day Friday...

So keep up the wonderful work... UNITY is the only way we will keep it rocking...

Positive Vibrations

Mickey:woot::e::bjump:

Hi everyone, I know that this thread hasn't been posted on for more than 3 years, but I would like to add my opinion.

Stigma associated with epilepsy? For me, I haven't experienced anything directly towards epilepsy and hopefully never will. Stigma associated with mental illness and/or disabilities? For me, probably, but most likely YES. I'm a student, so one of my Religious Education classmates (who was transferred to my class for being troublesome and was basically dumped into my class) asked his friend next to him one day "Are you disabled?" in that tone you may hear from a male British teen saying "No bruv, are you stupid?". I knew that he meant "Are you stupid?". I turned around and asked him what he just said, and he asked me if I was disabled. I asked him "Physically or mentally?", then said "Yes, mentally." I'm not afraid to tell people about my Epilepsy, but I am wary when it comes to who I tell. After that day, he has been repeatedly been asking his friend next to him deliberately "Are you disabled?", probably to annoy me. 3 weeks ago, our part of the year group (3 classes made up of 30 students per class) had a special assembly on "discrimination and stigma against mental illness" and how to combat it. I'm sure that that assembly put him in his place and shut him up, but if he continues to ask me "Are you disabled?" in that rude British teen tone in order to push my buttons, I will have to educate him about epilepsy, and after that, show him some certificates and letters of praise from my teachers for him to decide if I am mentally challenged. Sorry for rambling on, I have a habit of trailing off :D.

On a positive note, I'm planning to hold a purple-themed National Epilepsy Week (Britain) (19-26 MAY) at my school in order to raise awareness and funds for Epilepsy Action, a British epilepsy organisation and charity. :e: :brain:

I think there's probably more of an ignorance than a stigma. I've only recently been diagnosed and everyone I have met so far doesn't have a problem with it.

Hi Sandie,

I have found the same to be true. I have educated everyone who is ignorant!! I do not have a problem with my friends and neighbors. I am 70 years old and there was ignorance back then.

I feel that if they are true friends, they will accept me as I am. If they do not, were they ever true friends?

Totally agree with you Ruth. I am only newly diagnosed although hindsight tells me I've had it for quite some time. I don't cover up the fact that I have it. In fact I bring it up quite early to people who don't know me that well because if I 'zone out' on them', I would rather them know I have epilepsy than think I am bad mannered. I laugh about it to most people and apart from a few weird looks when I've had absence seizures in company, I don't have any real hassles. I have a wonderful husband who loves me for who I am and takes it in his stride and he is the only one that I need acceptance from.

Back
Top Bottom