Doctor's Permission?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Ruth

New
Reaction score
I had a bad seizure last month. I fell down and hit my head on our marble table. Hubby called 911 and I was rushed to the ER. I was bleeding a lot. They had to put sutures in the back of my head. A RN told me to to take care of it so that I would not get an infection.

A week later I was acting like I was having a stroke. Again, the ambulance rushed me to get a CTscan first to see if a stroke was in progress. Then I was taken to the ER and the next morning I was put in ICU to find out what was going on.

My neurologist had put me on too much medication. They cut my medicine back drastically. I feel a whole lot better now.

While I was in ICU, hubby asked my neurologist to come and visit me in the hospital. It turned out that my neurologist does not have permission to even come into the hospital that I was staying at.

Does anyone know about why a doctor who is in good standing with the Medical Board cannot go to a hospital? Why does he have to get permission?

That is odd...

Hope your feeling better.

Last edited:
Ruth,

I'm so sorry about your seizure. How are you feeling now? What did they find out?

A doctor must have "privileges" at any given hospital before they can even talk to a patient that is in there. Since the hospital is liable for all care provided in their hospital, they ensure the doctor is qualified to do the work. That process includes submitting an application with what services or procedures they want to provide, and all of their credentials are checked out. Then a credentialing committee makes a recommendation, and that recommendation goes either to an executive medical committee or it's equivalent, and sometimes higher like to the board of trustees.

Doctors must repeat this process for every hospital in which they want to treat patients. It's a lengthy and sometimes expensive process, so most doctors only do one or two.

Absent privileges, a doctor can only talk to the doctor taking care of you in the hospital. Not you. Nor can he come to see you. The best you could do is to make a list of questions and concerns and ask the doctor in the hospital to get answers for each and every one, working with your neurologist if possible (because he knows your history). I'm not clear if your husband can talk to your neurologist, take him questions, and shuttle answers back. Great question for your husband to ask your neurologist.

Last edited:
Thank you Rich and Endless,

I am feeling a whole lot better since I have been taken off some of my medications. I feel fine now. I am more alert and I am not so sleepy. My neurologist is not happy about the change in medications, even though I am better.

I did not realize that their was so much involved in getting credentials to see someone in the hospital. He also told my hubby that he cannot talk to my doctor unless my doctor calls him. Isn't that strange? Why can't he talk to my doctor?

My husband goes with me to all of my neurologist's appointments. My neurologist does talk to my husband, when I cannot. I have given my neurologist permission to talk to my husband.

Thank you very much for the information.

Boy the hoops they make people jump through! It seems a bit strange, but I assume it's for privacy, safety and liability reasons.

My sister-in-law is a doctor, and once or twice when a family member has been in the hospital, she will call and ask to talk to the attending physician (while saying the she is the family member's personal doctor). The attending will tell her things that they won't tell us. And she can get things done (like changing the food being served) that we can't. It's a great resource for us to have.

Nakamova,that is a great resource!!

When I am in the hospital, my personal doctor takes care of me. That way my husband can talk to him. His office is right across the street from the hospital. However, my neurologist does know my husband and did talk to him over the phone about me before. That is all right with me!!

The neurologist was very embarrassed, I am sure, to tell my husband that he could not get permission to go visit me at the hospital. He had his wife tell my husband.

It is the hospital that will not let my neurologist even come in through the front door. I find something wrong about that.

usually only doctors who work for the establishment have the right to enter the premises.
Your doctor would have to be a friend or relative to enter, but not on a professional bases and most certainly would not be allowed access to confidential information. Hope you are feeling better Ruth
:)

Anyone know if the rules are the same in Canada?

hi! Should imagine so - professional etiquette is universal. A letter could be sent to the neurologist.
:)

I saw my primary doctor yesterday. He is on the Credentials Committee at the hospital. I asked him.

He told me that my neurologist would have to have a certain number of patients to make it worthwhile for the hospital to give him permission to work there.

A letter will not do. My neurologist works in another city. He works in another hospital.

I learned something new!!

Back
Top Bottom