does anybody know how I can get cheap dilantin? My insurance will not pay for it anymore

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

jerry1967

Reaction score
does anybody know how I can get cheap dilantin? My insurance will not pay for it anymore

Hey Jerry -- are you able to take the generic (phenytoin) or can you only take the brand (Dilantin)? The generic is usually inexpensive and most insurance covers it.

Dilantin isn't protected by patents any more and is fairly cheap even out of pocket. My wife used to take it and it was only something like $10 for a month supply back when she quit taking it if I remember correctly. Take care if switching between brand name and generic. The generic didn't work as well for my wife. She had many seizures when our local pharmacy gave her the generic one time by mistake (Rx specified brand name only). YMMV..

I can not take the generic so I am looking for a way to buy Dilantin, Has anybody went to Canada to buy it there? I don't know if it is legal of not.

Hi Jerry,

Check out Good RX and see it that will be of any help to you. Also just go on line and type in cheap brand name Dilantin.
I found a few places you may be interested in. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

I can not take the generic so I am looking for a way to buy Dilantin, Has anybody went to Canada to buy it there? I don't know if it is legal of not.

Go to GoodRX website and do a search on Dilantin to see what you can obtain the pricing for through their site. Something else is to visit the vendor of Dilantin and see if you can obtain discounts. In some cases you may have an opportunity to do this due to your insurance issues. A final note is if your doctor is prescribing this to you, he or she can force the insurance to pay by writing the insurance a letter stating you need this prescription to take care of your seizures. Many medical doctors do this for their patients and insurance companies will make exceptions when seeing what is taking place. I hope the above information is of assistance for your good health. đź’•
-Sue

Go to GoodRX website and do a search on Dilantin to see what you can obtain the pricing for through their site. Something else is to visit the vendor of Dilantin and see if you can obtain discounts. In some cases you may have an opportunity to do this due to your insurance issues. A final note is if your doctor is prescribing this to you, he or she can force the insurance to pay by writing the insurance a letter stating you need this prescription to take care of your seizures. Many medical doctors do this for their patients and insurance companies will make exceptions when seeing what is taking place. I hope the above information is of assistance for your good health. đź’•
-Sue
For the first time after 20 years of being seizure-free, I am being forced to take generics.
I will start with the oldest and most expensive, Mysoline, which is now $6000 a month. It is not a sustainable monthly amount and the manufacturer says it is too old to offer any discount.
GoodRX has a price comparable to having no insurance. Has anybody had success with generic primidone? Have you gone to the same pharmacy where you can adjust to one generic manufacturer? I am devastated. I have finally found the answer to being seizure-free, but it feels like the right medication cannot be reachable.

@alivenwell - have you tried talking to your pharmacist about where they source generics or if s/he has any recommendations?

Yes. They assured me they handle the same generic manufacturer. I am too young for Medicare, but saw they require consistent generic manufacturers. Ironically a different medical condition that costs $500 monthly is covered with branded meds.

Have you contacted the manufacturer? My neuro replaced my Dilantin/Phenytoin with Vimpat because he was worried about osteoporosis possibilities. I had taken it for over 20 years. Thanks to our insurance company changing, I had to change the Vimpat a year later to Zonisamide--or pay a $1600+/month copay just for it.

Yes. They have no discounts. There is a concept called Blockchain that applies to medications or anything that requires close monitoring, similar to the Epipen shortage. I had one medication unavailable to many pharmacies. My insurance's warehouse had a supply and was able to overnight it to me. Blockchain prevents deliberate shortages, particularly when a warehouse holds a shipment back purely to force a shortage. The shortage allows a rise in price. I seriously doubt any of my medications had a shortage, but, prices have become outrageous.

Jerry: besides Good RX there is singlecare.com, rxsaver.retalmenot.com, and wellrx.com/precsriptions. I use all of them and my cost goes from $48 to $18 on the same dosage. When I have a refill, I get the best price and go to that RX store or bring the new coupon to the RX if it is the same store.
Try it and you will be surprised over the difference between sites. Scripts are now de-regulated and the RX stores wont tell you.

Back
Top Bottom