Does anyone else run away after a drop attack?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

stuartbungle

Pillar
Reaction score
About two years ago I started having drop attacks (we're working on it), and in my last few I just get up and leave - woke up in A+E, I just got up and left, another I found myself walking briskly trying to get away from something still wrapped in a blanket that someone given to me while I was one the floor. Just wondering if anyone else has experience of this, and what there outcome was. (I do have appointments set with GP and Seizure Nurse, but this takes time)

Thank you in adv

I suppose a seizure, plus the post ictal state could lead to an increase in adrenaline, producing the fight or flight response. Since you're acting on autopilot, it could be adrenaline doing the steering for you.

Hi stuartbungle,

When I have complex partial seizures I will often start to wander around and when I'm at work I will leave one room and when I come
out of the seizure I find myself in a different room but I don't remember walking there. I'm no Dr. but maybe this is what's going on with you.
Let your Dr. know about it and they may want to do a sleep study on you. They did one on me and found I was having seizures 1-2 hrs. before
I would wake up in the morning, so if you notice your more tired than usual when you wake up this could also be what's happening.
I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Since you're acting on autopilot, it could be adrenaline doing the steering for you.
That’s how my neuropsychologist described my seizures when I asked her about some of my seizures. Being in a room then being in another, my recent thing started last year was closing things down during seizure or if on phone hanging up. So far only ones I had seizure on and hung up on are mum and I closed down my teleconference with neurologist.

Being post-ictal can make you act strangely anyway, i know i can go onto auto-pilot and either repeat actions or carry on what i was doing physically after a partial seizure (for example carrying on talking nonsense, walk into traffic, pour boiling water into a cup that's already full etc), and after a tonic clonic i tend to shiver uncontrollably and quite often cry or laugh as a child might, as i'm coming round.

I had a seizure in December while on phone to my mum and hung up on her. She tried to ring me back but my phone was on silent. She messaged me and when I finally replied it was full on gibberish.

What amazed me was even though what I wrote was gibberish and made no sense at all the spelling and grammar was still fine but my mum had more spelling mistakes lol

I had a seizure once in the grocery store when I was with my dad. I started running down the aisle pulling things off, just like a little kid would. My dad was running after me and managed to stop me. Once I woke up in bed with all my clothes on - jeans, t-shirt, socks and all the other day time clothes. I was a little confused about that but when I got out of bed I looked at the clock and saw it was 7. I figure it was 7am because I'd been in bed but it was actually 7pm.

One morning the text message beep on my cell phone around 7 the morning. It was from a guy, who's number I had no idea why I had because he didn't have mine. The txt said "Who is this!!!" I looked and saw that I'd sent him at least 4 messages in the last 10 minutes that were nothing but random letters and numbers. I txt him back saying something like "sorry, won't do it any more"

I had a seizure once in the grocery store when I was with my dad. I started running down the aisle pulling things off, just like a little kid would. My dad was running after me and managed to stop me.
I had a seizure in the supermarket around Easter last year, while going to get milk. I didn’t really get a warning. Last thing I remembered was feeling odd and in the dairy section on my way to get milk then when I came to I was outside of the supermarket with my bag of the other groceries I’d had but no milk. I had paid for them with cash as there was a receipt in my bag with the groceries.

When alone, I have no idea that a complex partial is going to happen, or that it has, unless I've done something to myself or my surroundings.

Back
Top Bottom