Does anyone have a really hard time waikng up in the morning?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
It is so hard for me to wake up in the morning or even anyone else to get me out of bed. does anyone have any tips? Is this related to seizures?

I sure hope not. All my kids would be dealing with seizures. Sounds like you are fairly normal. I think what you need to figure out is how much sleep do you need to really feel good. Then stick to that every day. Get to bed in time so that you can get up in the morning. I know that is what is suggested for migraines. Same amount of sleep every day.

Depression can sure produce sleepy heads.

I also have a really hard time getting up in the AM. I don't know for sure but I think it's because I take more meds in PM than in AM and the meds just make it hard to get up.

Then agian my mom says she always had a hard time getting me up, so who knows.

It can be a symptom of sleep apnea or depression.

Assuming it isn't related to some underlying condition, it helps if you establish a routine. Going to bed and waking up at the same time every day helps condition the mind and body.

Also, you might try eliminating any stimulants or depressents such as caffeine or alcohol if you are consuming them.

I learned from all the trips to N.Y.U. and my nerologest their Dr.Luciano, that its also important to take our meds at the same time every day.

I know I have to get a new timer, I used to use a timer so that I would make sure I did that, then my timer broke.

It is so hard for me to wake up in the morning or even anyone else to get me out of bed. does anyone have any tips? Is this related to seizures?

It absolutely is related to seizures. Every AED I've been on caused fatigue, headache, dizziness, sleepiness, etc. So getting up from a sound sleep is difficult. You should try to go to bed and get up the same time everyday. It would help you get up easier.

But you need to take your medications everyday the same time(s) for them to work for you.
I take mine at 6AM & 6PM, even when I was in the hospital for surgery (non-related). They gave me a little guff, but I told them flat out to do like I said. They didn't want me to have a seizure caused by their stupidity. This way the medication is dispersed evenly every twelve hours.

Want to talk to my mom, son,
ER Doctors, Nurses, Doctors,
ex-husband, etc?

Yup - I can be impossible to be
waken up from sleep at times.

I was last Monday, March 10th,
in the ER - both my mom and the
ER Doctor had trouble waking me
up after the lab test results came
back revealing I definitely had
seizures. It took them a very long
time for them to wake me up,
my mom told me. She now
understands what my (ex) husband
and son has been saying all along
and when she thinks about the past
of the times she's had trouble waking
me up at times; she remembers,
and now she knows why - it was
Epilepsy.

Hi there,

I was just wondering if your seizures are during the day? Mine are at night (they said I may also be having them during day and not know it) I am usually really sleepy/dopey in the morning. I also have sleep apnea. Both the apnea and my seizures went on for yrs. and fianlly diagnosed two yrs. apart. Even though I use cpap, I am still unrefreshed in the a.m. From what I have read 33% of people with seizures have apnea and vice-versa. I think that was the percentage. There is a possible connection from what I've read. Worth checking out. Hope all is well with you!

Michelle

Does anyone have trouble falling asleep? I always do, and Im tired all day. I wish I could just go to sleep at say... 12, and then wake up at 9.
But if I went to bed at 12, Id fall asleep at 3 and wake up at 8 and fall back asleep at 9 and wake up at 12.
My sleep cycle is so messed up... Any suggestions?

I get up earily every morning,5am so i can be ready Mass. Im the morning lector for St.Frances DeSales, my parish. Ive been the morning lector for five years now. I get communion and the blessing every morning.Yea Man! I cant think of a better way to start my day! I get up earily so Im tired in the evening. I go to sleep fast, sleep pretty good during the night but wake up refreshed. My morning shower helps to wake me up! All of my seizures were nocturnal followed by postical confusion for about 45 min. When the Nerofeedback started to work for me we noticed changes in the duration of the peroid of confusion. I think were more in control of our sleep than any of us realize. It common sence stuff. Get up earily your tired at night. Go to bed late sleep in front of the T.V. and your going to be tired and feel groggy in the morning. The T.V. flickering in front of your face at night is not good for noctrunal seizures. More common sence stuff! Peace Brother!

I am told that the neurofeedback that Rebecca just started can have a pleasant effect on sleep. That is one area that we are to keep a close eye on the effects.

She has never had difficulty with sleep habits. However she wants to be like other teens that stay up past midnight. I tell her that other teens are not getting up daily at 5:00 am to go workout.

Oh ya, if you have to get up early then you should go to bed early.
Im unemployed so I usually stay up late and sleep in late.
Especially on the weekends. The times I try to go to bed earlier I cant fall asleep, though.

I think that enjoying the weee hours of the morning is for people who are alittle older like me. When I was alittle younger I enjoyed staying up late and getting up late. Since I became seizure free I want to enjoy every minute of it.I attend mass to give thanks daily for this blessing! After 25yrs of seizures who would have thought this would happen! Its why its so important to keep faith and never never give up hope. We all deserve to be free and someday I pray that we all will amen.

Does anyone have trouble falling asleep? I always do, and Im tired all day. I wish I could just go to sleep at say... 12, and then wake up at 9.
But if I went to bed at 12, Id fall asleep at 3 and wake up at 8 and fall back asleep at 9 and wake up at 12.
My sleep cycle is so messed up... Any suggestions?

I have the same problem. It doesn't matter what time I get up or how much sleep I get, I just can't fall asleep early. I'm a total night owl. I can be dragging tired all day long, but as soon as 9 p.m. hits, I get instant energy. And no matter how much sleep I get, whether it's 4 hours or 9 hours, I feel like I'm sleepwalking all day long. If it were up to me, I'd sleep all day and be up all night.

The center where I recieve nerofeedback also incorperates sleep studys and dream interpatation as well as coulseling. Dr. Steve is a retired phsycology professer from U.C.C.C and a very compassionate man. Peace to you mamaruns

I can be heck to wake up in the morning. I've tried all sorts of sleeping regimens, but I still have an awful time shaking the cobwebs out in the morning. It usually takes me close to an hour to be fully functional.

I don't know if I can blame that on the meds or simply the way I am. I think I was probably this way before my E.

Most people get comfortable in bed and would like to stay there including me from time to time. In 1998 I hade most of my right temprol lobe removed at The Hospital for Joint diease. Since then Ive been an earily raiser. Before then I could stay in bed untill 10 am. Im pretty sure that its related to the surgery.

Back
Top Bottom