Does biting your tongue keep getting worse?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I have been having seizures for 25 years now - but normally once a year. Lately it has been 1x a month and sometimes in clusters as much as 4x a day (but still only once a month). Since I stopped work in March, it has been only 3 days which is pretty good. It is usually caused from the stress of holidays, plus lack of sleep and I think my biggest cause, right around my menstral cycle. And since I am close to going through changes (46 years old), I believe that is adding to the cause.

My real question here though is, why is it taking longer for my tongue to heal after my seizure(s). It has been over a week now and I am still feeling the pain. The pain from a tongue bite is the worst - it seems to effect my whole body. Does anyone have any suggestions? I would appreciate anything!!!

yes I agree that even a sore tastebud can be quite annoying. Having your whole mouth in pain is way too much to tolerate. Sometimes when I had 5 or 6 canker sores in my mouth at one time, I was miserable. Are there any mouth rinses that you can use to heal the sores?
Perhaps your immune system is low and you might consider doing something to boost it up. Zinc , Vit E, Selenium, rest, can help with the immune system... also Olive Leaf Extract and Oil of Oregano can act as an anti-bacterial.

Stacy once bit clean through the side of her tongue during a seizure and had a "flap" that took something like 6 months to heal. :(

Oweeeeee!.....

...sorry about the FREQUENCY increase! You need to keep an eye on that one! Could be meds wearing off, etc...

I also have seizures very infrequently, but VERY violently when I do...and I know what you mean about that tongue. If I atarted having them AS violent MORE frequently, I can only assume the tongue just isn't getting a decent 'break in the action' enough to heal properly and therefore may be easier to damage a little WORSE each time...vicious cycle!

I can't remember the name of the stuff...but there is some oral 'paste' you can apply to the tongue that can adhere to the exposed areas so you can function a little better. I've had to use it in the past a couple of times. It is slightly annoying because it's 'pastey'---but much less annoying than your teeth scraping across open wounds on your tongue!

Ask your pharmacist...it's over-the-counter!

Good Luck!
:rock:

I use to use a paste as well Speber on my canker sores. It made it bearable. Numbed it up quite a bit.

Like you, I bite my tongue during my t/c's.....I only have my t/c's once in a while in my sleep (last was 4+ years ago, 7 years before that), and I do bite clear through both sides of my tongue each and every time I have a t/c...to the point where I have flaps hanging off...it's REALLY GROSS...blood everywhere. I guess I'm like Speber....they're infrequent.....but they're VIOLENT. I've got a lot of damage done to my body from them.

When I didn't have a neuro or regular doc for 3 months, back in the early '90's, and had to go w/o meds......it was ugly....a t/c every week. Bitten tongue every week....I kept gargling salt water......or a mix of water and peroxide. Seems to me that I made a paste, too.......but I thought I made it out of baking soda.........let me see if I can dig around and find it....if I do, I'll post it for you. However, there is a paste/gel-like stuff made by Ora-gel, I think that you might be able to use, and I think it does help to numb the area.........

bee.jpg
HONEY!
bee.jpg

Sweet golden honey!
bee.jpg
It has natural healing powers and it's own antibacterial agents.
bee.jpg
It's excellent to use on any wound.
bee.jpg
Who want s nasty chemicals in their mouth when
HONEY! will do the same.
bee.jpg
bee.jpg

Back
Top Bottom