Doing my bit for epilepsy - 12 in 12

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

aggy84

New
Reaction score
Hi all!

Gosh, I joined this community back in 2012, with a post where I essentially broke down about my diagnosis with partial seizures. I have come a long way since then and I wanted to share this because I flipped what I deemed negative into a positive. But I want to say without the support of everyone I wouldn't be where I am now - thank you :hugs:

I write a blog and have a youtube channel, so when I was diagnosed I decided to make videos telling people about my kind of epilepsy. Dr Google wasn't the most helpful when I was trying to find answers, so I figured I best do something about it! I went on a bumpy journey with Keppra to now Lamotrigine and thankfully I'm more controlled than ever.

After making my youtube videos and writing posts, I've got 100s of emails worldwide from people who have felt alone like I did. Even now, people still look at me gone out when I tell them that I don't 'fit' or have photosensitivity with my epilepsy. The lack of knowledge is still alarming, so I'm doing something else to raise awareness.

I decided after I sunk into a black hole of depression post-diagnosis, to do a triathlon for an epilepsy charity, that was in 2014. Since then I've vowed to see the world and push myself in sports. I'm going to be doing 12 in 12 challenges to raise awareness of invisible disabilities like mine and that we can still have full lives (obviously in the right boundaries for the person). Starting next month and hopefully ending with an iron man race to finish.

I just wanted to pop this in the lemonade forum because I feel like I've completely switched my attitude. I cannot do anything about my epilepsy, and I had my first one in 6 months the other day, which has left me soooooo low and out of sorts.... but I can do something about raising awareness.

Anyways, my blog is www.talesofanniebean.com - I'm hoping to organise a run in the UK for those in the epilepsy community to join me on with my epilepsy charity, as part of my 12 in 12. If anyone is interested let me know :)

Love you all and thanks so much for holding my hand back in 2012 xxx

Hey aggy84, welcome back!

Great to hear this update and all the terrific work you are doing to raise epilepsy awareness! Good luck with your challenges -- an iron man race sounds pretty daunting. Actually for me a mini-triathlon would be daunting too. :)

Thank you! And thank, you - as I believe it was yourself who first sent me a message. Honestly, without people like yourself, I wouldn't be as positive about any of this.

It's always nice to hear success stories. :) Reading your post reminded me just long ago it was when I first started this site. Where has all that time gone? Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom