Driving Question

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

ekuadam

New
Reaction score
So in Georgia I am not allowed to drive until I have been seizure free for 6 months. I have heard some people say though that if you have epilepsy it is hard to keep your DL. just wondering if anyone has had that experience or not. I have not been diagnosed with Epilepsy, but have had 3 seizures. I assume as long as I am seizure free for the 6 months then i am fine to drive again ( I previously lived in KY where it was 3 months, but neither place report it to the DMV).

The problem people have with keeping their licenses is because the meds stop working or the dose needs changed and they begin having seizures again. A lot of people find it difficult to reach 6 months, and if they do it's not long after that when they'll have one break through and lose it all over again. :?

I made it 6 years before my second one hit (and that was without medication). no one seems to know why it happens, could be computer use (since all of mine have happened after being on computer for extended period of time.

:banghead: total source of anger here...

TN is also 6 months but doesn't report to DMV. HOWEVER if you wreck insurance will laugh at your claim. My clock resets ever day. :/

-Mandy

I'm learning quite painfully that having your license is a privilege, lost it four times, and always get it back, but then have another breakthrough and lose it again. Getting to the point that I accept losing it as long as I'm not told they're taking it for life. 3, 6, 12 months depending on where you live... we can all do our time; if we can survive seizures we can deal with something like not driving for awhile; the more I lose it the less significant it seems. Don't get me wrong though either, I F'IN HATE IT.
Knowing however that another T-C is lurking up ahead at some point (I'm refractory) makes you go, 'Well, I can't drive for a while, okay, time to get on with it so that time frame is over with sooner than later.'
All the luck to you that you don't get an Epilepsy diagnosis, but if you do, you're already in the right place. HUGS.

yep not driving is a big drag. I lost my dl in march after going 15 years seizure fee. I had forgotten how it felt to count on other people to take me every where. Right now I see some kind of doctor 3-4 times a month. Don't live near public transportation. Trying to schedule that appointment then trying to find someone who can take me is like pulling teeth! Its a 6 month sentence in MO. I'm shooting for November then like qtowngirl said how long will that last? Its just part of living with E

yep not driving is a big drag. I lost my dl in march after going 15 years seizure fee. I had forgotten how it felt to count on other people to take me every where. Right now I see some kind of doctor 3-4 times a month. Don't live near public transportation. Trying to schedule that appointment then trying to find someone who can take me is like pulling teeth! Its a 6 month sentence in MO. I'm shooting for November then like qtowngirl said how long will that last? Its just part of living with E

Is there not a non emergency med transportation in your area? Insurance covers it.

-Mandy

I've had E for 30+ years, and have been unable to drive off and on. I've gone as long as 15 years without being able to drive. I used to live in a suburb of Memphis and there was no public transportation, so I had to ask neighbors, friends for rides. I would go the 6 months without a seizure, then BANG...... a big TC..... no driving....... it would happen again... and again. They never knew why I have seizures, either, SP, CP, TC.

I now live in the Denver area, around family, and I'm close to public transportation.

Before you carelessly get behind the wheel, please read this story:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...family-5-having-seizure-driving.html?ITO=1490

Thanks Cint for the informative article. If my last post made it sound like I was going to drive no matter what im sorry. I do not plan on carelessly getting behind the wheel. I understand the ramifications of driving and having a seizure. I was diagnosed with E at 18 im in my 40s now. I did'nt drive from 18 to around the age of 26. Do you know how hard it is for an 18 y/o to not drive a car? It was very difficult. I drove safely for 15 years and now I'm dealing with it all over again. Even if I do make it to November without a seizure I will not immediately jump in the car and start driving. Since MO. is a state that does'nt require him to inform the DMV It will be a decision that my epileptolgist and I will make and if he feels that I should'nt drive then I will live with that decision.

Pita, I've read your last post a couple times and it didn't sound questionable at all. Sounded like you know your condition and the rules that come with it. 'Shooting' for november... yeah! Goals like that are healthy and something to look forward to. I've done six months a few times and it actually goes pretty fast. Started at age 25, big time sucked, but you're right I can't imagine at 18, poor guy!!
My date currently to start driving again is November 30 - what's your day? Lol I'm with ya man we can do it!!! (oh yeah btw I had the bone density scan done yesterday, thanks to you, and will get the results in a week or so. Fingers crossed. And if it's bad then bye-bye carbamazepine).
Take care for now...

Thanks qtown. November 18 is the target date. I know this is a taboo subject for people like us. I was reading a thead eariler this week were some one wanted to lie to the DMV to continue driving even though thier seizures were not controlled. I totally understand his position but that is just sooo dangerous. A funny story I did drive my car once after my liscence was taken away from me. I drove it in the small town I grew up in and had a complex partial seizure and side swipped an on comming car. I had a friend who was taking me to school that afternoon. Opened the front door and there stood a police officer wanting to see my car. Confused I said sure and sure enough there was paint going down the side of my car. I got a ticket for leaving the secene. The police told me it was'nt hard to find me since I was speeding away from the sceene at 10 miles an hour :roflmao:. I sold my car and did not drive again. I'm glad you had the density test done. I hope its good news. I've been so busy with other issues that I need to get to my gp to discuss mine with him.

Thank you all!

I have a 16 year old who had her first seizure on May 1. She has been wanting to drive since age 6 and the seizure came before she got her permit. With NJ being a 12 month state, I have had to try and help her deal with not driving for the next 18 months or so. She is planning on going to college early in a major metro area, so transportation should be OK. I know she hates the idea of waiting, bit I also know that she cannot risk her life and the lives of others.

Again, thank you all.

Tom

You tell her it sucked for me. I went and bought a car. A 79 black mustang. It was so cool. Of course I drove it on hills where nobody could get hurt. Then I sold it to my brother and he crushed it.lolLearning to take the bike with you on the bus gives you muscles. It is a battle. My son is comming to that age now.He has nocturnal seizures. But we will see what the doc sais when it's time. Here's to having lot's of patiens and prayer. Teresa

My target date for driving is sometime around the beginning of December. My wife is very wary of letting me drive. I feel bad for her because she is the one having to drive us around everywhere, go grocery shopping, etc....

Pita,
10 miles an hour you bad boy! Too funny. I'm getting my scan results on Wednesday, hopefully she says, 'It's perfect!' haha. C'mon November...

Oh my gosh I cannot wait to drive! I'm in a 3 month state so I'm hoping to make it this time. I hate riding buses/walking with my 5 year old and 3 year old. My big boy starts kindergarten Tuesday and will be riding the bus, so it will be a little easier running errands with one munchkin. :) having a job will be so much easier too! *Crosses fingers* I hope we make it!

Oh my gosh I cannot wait to drive! I'm in a 3 month state so I'm hoping to make it this time. I hate riding buses/walking with my 5 year old and 3 year old. My big boy starts kindergarten Tuesday and will be riding the bus, so it will be a little easier running errands with one munchkin. :) having a job will be so much easier too! *Crosses fingers* I hope we make it!

Thinking positive thoughts for you!! :)

So in Georgia I am not allowed to drive until I have been seizure free for 6 months. I have heard some people say though that if you have epilepsy it is hard to keep your DL. just wondering if anyone has had that experience or not. I have not been diagnosed with Epilepsy, but have had 3 seizures. I assume as long as I am seizure free for the 6 months then i am fine to drive again ( I previously lived in KY where it was 3 months, but neither place report it to the DMV).

I'm in PA and the law is the same... The only way they completely take it away is if your doctor tells them you are unsuitable to drive.

Back
Top Bottom