Dropping meds to now only use CBD / Hemp Paste

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Weaning Drugs

Sue, All I know is that each distribution center(eight) in the state of Minnesota will be staffed with people who have been trained in how to set up a person's regiment for taking the Medical Marijuana(MM). The person's doctor gives permission to the patient to see the distributor, who makes all of the decisions about MM from there.
That is one of the reasons that many doctors refuse to join the MM program. They feel that there has not been enough studies done to show what the results of using the MM can be. These same doctors don't know how they could use the MM to help their patients, but they refuse to allow their patients to try the MM if someone else is doing the helping. I would imagine that one of the big sticklers could be the loss of money for using certain AED drugs. Money always seems to be at the root of how people(doctors) make decisions!
You will have to contact someone who deals with the MM all of the time to find out the answer to your question.

ACsHuman

Last edited:
Hi AC,
Thanks for you help and info. I appreciate it very much. From what I have been told a Dr. has to take a 4 hr. course about the MM and then they will be able to give it to people who they feel need it. I know in NY you also have to have a legal card in order to get any. Thanks again and May God Bless You!
Sue

It far less bad than most of our meds less dangerous than heroin for pain .doc needs 4hove course.Are they leaning how roll perfect spliff.
The law total ass.Grow wild lettuce same effect.No way I be able get medicine cannoboids where I live,l love try it for e and pain they worried get addicted and morphine not addictive then,Doc don't do 4hrs training for that.
Abusing it no more than other drugs proberly less so.
Wish Zollt come back say how he got it only had go shop and buy it wonder which country allow that

Hi Folks,
My Epileptologist wants me to try the medical marijuana since I'm drug resistant to all seizure meds out on the market. If I may ask do you have to stop all seizure meds before you start the cbd?
Hi Sue,
No, there is no reason why you can't continue your medication while adding the CBD to your treatment. You may find, as I did, that you are able to cut back on the meds once the CBD is in place. I am now taking half the meds I used to. :)
Medical MJ requires a doctor prescription in many states at this time but CBD is fully legal in all 50 state with no Rx needed.
Robin

Hi AlohaBird,

I want to thank you for all of the info. regarding the medical marijuana and taking medication. You have been a great help to me and I want you to know I greatly appreciate all of the info and your time. Wishing you only the best and May God Bless You!

Sue

That's great that you are not having seizures on the hemp paste! I take tegretol (among other drugs) and had success with the paste myself. Unfortunately it only lasted for about two weeks for me and I did not decrease any other meds.

My advice to you would be to consult a neurologist who specializes in alternative treatment. Every neurologist or epileptologost I have ever brought the hemp oil up to said it was pointless to take it. I don't think that is necessarily true if you don't have a doctor that will give you actual advice look to get a second opinion with someone who studies the hemp as part of their specialty, and definitely don't decrease the tegretol on your own.

Hope this helps, best of luck

Dustin

Hi Dustin,

I just heard from my neuro and he told me he doesn't want me trying the medical marijuana now because he doesn't like how it's turning out for some people. I was also told that it would cost me $20 grand a yr. for what I needed. I'm still going to try the CBD oil on my own. Wishing you well and May God Bless You!

Sue

Hi Sue,

I am having much better results with the Holden's Hope paste than I did with all the CBD oil extracts that I tried.
The HH paste is a strain of cannabis that is ultra low in TCH and very high in CBD so it is legal without a prescription and doesn't get you "stoned" at all.
The difference is that the oil extracts are often heavily processed using high heat and harsh chemical solvents. The HH paste is just the plant cooked gently on low heat in the coconut oil, then the whole thing (oil and plant) ground up together.

I think the reason the extracts didn't do much for me is that all that processing may have killed off some of the "good stuff" before it could get to me. Also medical science is just starting to work out how all the various elements in this particular plant work together. Isolating one particular element out of that natural mix loses you what doctors call "the entourage effect" of all of the elements in the plant (CBD, a trace of THC, turpines, etc.) working together.

Your doctor is right that some people with epilepsy don't do well with some types of MJ. The problem is generally with the very high TCH stains of cannabis. They can actually induce a seizure in some people.

If you are living where there are dispensaries, you could pick and choose a strain that is high in CBD and low on the TCH. There are two major strains of MJ, the Indicas and the Sativas. The Sativas are the serious stoner stuff with very high TCH while the Indicas have a higher CBD content. Indicas are your best bet.

A cost effective way to do this might be to buy your own bag of an Indica strain and cook it yourself in either butter or coconut oil. There are lots of "how to" videos on this on youtube.

Hi AlohaBird,

Thank you very much for all the great info. I really appreciate your help. I will check out Holden's Hope past and see how that will work for me. There aren't many dispensaries in NY where I live but according to my neurosurgeon in another 5 yrs. it won't be any problem. I already use coconut oil on my skin and that helps build up keytones which has reduced my seizures a little bit more. Thank you very much and May God Bless You!

Sue

Yes, the tide is definitely turning as far as the legal situation of MMJ. I left California a couple of years ago to move to Hawaii. California has great dispensaries selling all kinds of MJ with the CBD/THC content posted for the customer plus all kinds of wonderful "edibles" such as mints, chocolates, lemonade, etc.
Hawaii legalized dispensaries last year but is still working out the logistics of where they will go and who gets the licenses. <taps fingers impatiently>

I really think that in a few years the federal government is going to have to cave to the changing reality and make one federal level law regulating dispensaries.
Eventually I think the whole country is going to go the way of Colorado and legalize it completely but right now things are a bit of a patchwork quilt of regulations.

Under Hawaii law, once you have your MMJ card, you are allowed to have four ounces of dried MJ and seven plants under cultivation. Not sure what the New York regs are but you might want to look into growing your own as a way to make this medicine even more affordable.

any new users of CBD.....??

Bump

Got a card for MJ and going to buy the hi CBD strains and curious if anyone new is having luck

I've not tried it yet, but a friend is pushing me towards it. Curious to see what others think first.

Hi Guys,

I think its important to differentiate between CBD derived from MJ / MMJ created in the US. And CBD derived from industrial hemp.

Firstly, CBD produced from MJ in legal states, "can" contain a fluctuating amount of THC, the psychoactive ingredient in marijuana.

Separately, there is a large amount of development and some great ranges of CBD products being produced in Europe ( both for sale in Europe and also many companies are selling into the US). These products are created with CBD extracted from industrial hemp grown in Europe ( Germany, Switzerland etc ). CBD products derived from industrial hemp does not contain a psychoactive level of THC (either trace or under 0.2% - as other hemp products)

While CBD from the USA can only be produced and sold under the MMJ guidelines. CBD products produced from hemp in Europe are not related to medical marijuana.

I am looking into using CBD for my son as well, as the meds have actually seemed to increase the number of seizures he has. I have talked with several people who have E and use CBD effectively. I'm really excited to give it a try. I found a place that sells crystalline CBD isoalte, with virtually no THC, and it is oil solluble, so you can make your own tincture. Hope it is working well for you and you can get off big pharma meds. <3

I would really like to come off my medication and try the CBD.

CBD and medication is difficult because it can't be taken together.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I would really like to come off my medication and try the CBD.

CBD and medication is difficult because it can't be taken together.

Really? Do you have a resource where I can read about this? I'm looking into it for my son. I have done a lot of research, and I have spoken to around 8 different people who have epilepsy and are using CBD. They took it while they were still on other meds. It shouldn't affect the meds, as it is utilized by the body by completely different receptors, and is just a plant extract. My son currently takes omegas 3,6 and 9, vitamin E, and phosphatidylcholine, which if I understand correctly, is a compound isolated from soy or sunflower lecithin much the same way CBD is isolated from hemp. His neurologist had no problem with him continuing these supplements while we started him on Keppra. I think the issue people are still having with CBD is thinking that just because it comes from hemp, it is pyschoactive or somehow bad for you. While many CBD oils do also have low levels of THC, you can get 99.9% pure CBD extract, which allows people like me to try it for my son without worrying about him getting "high". CBD doesn't work for everyone, but I've seen a lot of improvement with his other supplements, and if I can find something natural instead of flooding him with meds that make things worse just as often as they help, that would be ideal for us. :) Good luck to you!

I got the information from the realm of caring, I can't remember the name of the woman I spoke to.
I don't think it is all medication just some, but it can interfere with the absorbion process.

Lots of things should be taken three hours either side 'traditional' medications because of interaction.

CBD with THC will work better. According to all the studies it has shown more therapeutic effects then just CBD alone.

You want to avoid the CBD created from hemp as it has the smallest amounts of CBD in it. Also has other carcinogens and other BS created from the processes of making it & flavoring it.

The reason why i want & plan to buy CBD rich MJ is because you are getting whole plant CBD instead of hemp CBD........stuff that is made from tons and tons of hemp to get a small amount of oil.

CBD rich MJ, stuff exists that has up to a 59/1 CBD to THC ratio. More common is 10/1 - 20/1 CBD to THC, but the important part is you are getting both and quality CBD this way.

from all ive read and done so far, CBD and meds can be taken together.......Just spread them out a few hours apart.

However, this works for me......not saying it will work for all.

GL

Back
Top Bottom