Drugs

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

seecs

New
Reaction score
Hey, I know plenty of people will look down or disagree with this topic, but it's something I wonder about. I use to be a heavy drinker and smoke marijuana occasionally, but I can no longer do either since I was diagnosed with epilepsy a year ago. I know that each case is different, but are there any safe drugs I can do to get high in any way. I know a lot of people will say just not to do any, but I am looking for anything I can do. I'm not looking for hard drugs, just something relaxing like a herbal drug or anything like that. Thanks.

It's probably highly inadvisable.

I don't think there is such a thing as a "safe" drug.

I agree with Lou, there are no "safe drugs". If you just want to relax, try meditation.

Seecs,

If you feel tense or irritable, be sure to tell your neurologist. That's a side effect of many of the AEDs. Your neurologist will be able to help. He can also prescribe something to help get rid of anxiety, if that's what you are feeling.

Personally, I feel my AEDs are mind-bending enough without ever adding anything else to the mix. I feel like I am walking, thinking, seeing, moving underwater. Everything is in slow little ripply waves. So I try to NOT add anything else that would make the underwater feeling worse, interfere with my medications, or cause any more seizures.

For relaxation I exercise, at least as much as I am able. The endorphins are great.

I really don't think you will get anyone to endorse the use of alcohol, drugs legal or illegal on CWE for recreational use. It's not easy living with epilepsy so why complicate matters with the use of something that may put you in jail or the hospital? Our goals here aren't about getting high, sorry.

You background information says that you have only had one seizure. Typically you are not diagnosed with Epilepsy after only one seizure. It seems like your seizure most likely was due to your lifestyle. Heavy drinking can certainly be a cause of seizures.

If you want to live a long productive life, I would certainly make life style changes if I were you.

I appreciate the support. I take lamictal and luckily I have no side effects from the drug. 'Endless' mentioned that you can take anti-anxiety drugs. I have taken xanax since my diagnoses only once and only to sleep, I have no anxiety issues. A drug I'm looking for is for a similar effect of xanax just for relaxation. I guess what confuses me is why can I take a prescription drug such as xanax and not some herbal relaxing legal drug that wont be as strong. I previously found one herbal remedy offered at wholefoods that produces a relaxing effect on the person, but online I found that the drugs is not recommended for people with epilepsy... how can that herb be more harmful for me than prescription xanax?

On to RobinN's point. I have only had one seizure and it was back in may and that's why I'm on these forums trying to adjust. I've heard several times that you cannot be diagnosed after only one seizure. I had one seizure in the morning after a heavy all day marathon of binge drinking on the beach. I understand this behavior alone can cause a seizure and that's why I am surprised at my diagnoses. All my tests were perfect except my EEG. The two determining factors for my epilepsy was the EEG and a family history on my mothers side (uncle, aunt, grandfather). I'm a bit in denial with just the EEG, but the family history seems to make it for sure. I was considering having a retesting done to be sure, but I feel like I'm just giving myself false hope. It's been 6 months since that seizure and diagnoses and I feel no different than I ever did before except for various restrictions on my lifestyle.

I previously found one herbal remedy offered at wholefoods that produces a relaxing effect on the person, but online I found that the drugs is not recommended for people with epilepsy... how can that herb be more harmful for me than prescription xanax?

I had one seizure in the morning after a heavy all day marathon of binge drinking on the beach. I understand this behavior alone can cause a seizure and that's why I am surprised at my diagnoses. All my tests were perfect except my EEG.

Alcohol and drugs, regardless of what type of drugs, prescription or not, can and do play a role in one's metabolism, thus can bring on a seizure.

http://www.ehow.com/about_5187830_drugs-cause-seizures.html

Drugs That Cause Seizures

According to the Defective Drugs website, approximately 2 million people have suffered seizures in their lifetimes. Some antipsychotics, antidepressants, antiepileptic drugs, and illegal drugs can cause seizures. Alcohol may also result in a seizure when being processed through the body. Mixing alcohol with any medicine automatically raises your vulnerability to a seizure. Thus it is imperative that when you take a drug, you know the possible consequences that could occur. Individual drugs as well as drug combinations can cause seizures, making treatment of issues such as mental illness potentially very dangerous, as patients are often given a cocktail of drugs.

Antipsychotics
Antipsychotics are prescribed for depression, schizophrenia, bipolar disorder and other disorders. They are known to induce seizures, tremors, extreme muscle rigidity and varying types of dyskinesia. Dyskinesia is a series of repetitive involuntary muscle spasms and movements within different parts of the body. The effects of antipsychotics are widely known, so when someone is prescribed an antipsychotic they are also given a medicine to counteract the tics and seizure symptoms. They also cause acute dystonic reactions, which cause a twisting and tightening of the muscles. Stiffness and rigidness in the jaw, back and neck also can occur. Common antipsychotics that can induce seizures are Haloperidol, Abilify, Geodon, Risperdal, and Zyprexa. The act of mixing any of these drugs with alcohol increases your risk for a seizure.

Antidepressants
Antidepressants taken alone may cause seizures in patients. Commonly used antidepressants include Wellbutrin, Paxil, Zoloft, and Lexapro. The occurrence of seizures with antidepressants is relatively low, but if you have a history of seizures or manic states, antidepressants may trigger them. Antidepressants also counteract drugs taken to stop seizures and will cancel out the effect of the antiseizure medication, allowing a seizure to occur. The risk of mixing these drugs with alcohol increases your risk for a seizure as well.

Antiepileptic Drugs
Oddly enough, antiepileptics have been shown to create a paradoxical effect in people, aggravating and worsening preexisting seizures in some patients. Drugs such as carbamazepine, lamotrigine, alprazolam, gabapentin, vigabatrin and tiagabine are known to aggravate and exacerbate preexisting seizures as well as to generate a higher frequency of them.

Alcohol
Alcohol is also a culprit for inducing seizures. As alcohol leaves your body after a binge drinking session, you are at a high risk of having a seizure. In addition, alcohol, when mixed with medicines, will override the antiseizure medication's ability to prevent a seizure. Alcohol can also produce seizures when mixed with illegal drugs, psychotropics, antidepressants or antipsychotics.

Illegal Drugs
Illegal drugs, especially stimulants like heroine, GHB, cocaine, PCP, Ecstasy, amphetamine, steroids and aerosols used in "huffing" can cause dangerous seizures and reactions when used frequently and in increasingly higher dosages. Mixing alcohol with any illegal substance will also heighten your risk of a stroke.

Conclusion
Mixing drugs--whether prescribed or illegal-- with one another and/or alcohol may put you at a higher risk for seizures. Whenever taking any prescription medicine, always check to see if it interacts with any drugs.Contact your doctor if you have any concerns or reactions. Illegal drug use is not advised because it is also highly dangerous and can induce seizures or death.

P.S. Some of the AED's and anti-psychotics are used for bi-polar disorders, also. BEWARE of the anti-psychotics, as some of them can cause TYPE 1 DIABETES and the Dr. probably won't tell you until it is too late!

Alcohol and drugs, regardless of what type of drugs, prescription or not, can and do play a role in one's metabolism, thus can bring on a seizure.

P.S. Some of the AED's and anti-psychotics are used for bi-polar disorders, also. BEWARE of the anti-psychotics, as some of them can cause TYPE 1 DIABETES and the Dr. probably won't tell you until it is too late!

So from what you just said there's no such thing as a safe drug, prescription or not and anything can cause seizures. I take Lamictal, which also for bi-polar so to hear that can cause type 1 diabetes is terrifying. No good news in your post... what's the point of taking or not taking drugs then?

Sadly, the

point of taking AEDs is to prevent your brain from learning to rekindle, and causing it to have another seizure.

There are other possibilities out there--neurofeedback is one. Check out the story about that on RobinN's signature. Also, diet is another possibility for helping as well.

My celiac disease DOES play a part in my seizure control....

what's the point of taking or not taking drugs then?

The point I was trying to make is: Alcohol and Drugs, together, can bring on seizures. You said you had a seizure the morning after a marathon of drinking. So then, that could be the reason you had a seizure. That was the point.

http://www.ehow.com/about_5187830_drugs-cause-seizures.html

check all of these I have tempted faith with too many times!! I am only on what dr. prescribes now. I am on lexapro and serequel, although I havnt taken lexapro in quite sometime because I cant afford it.

seecs,
it may be an idea so see why you want to "get high", and then tackle that reason. I know this sounds "psychobabble", but it may be helping you, you never know. Also try talking to your mates, if it's an unsocial time, you ALWAYS have someone here to listen and talk. Give it a thought. Hope otherwise you are ok !

Lamictal isn't an anti-psychotic. It is used for both epilepsy an bipolar, which are quite different from schizophrenia.

I don't know about diabetes and Lamictal. Nothing is mentioned about that in the package insert. But 1 in 2000 people who take it develop multi-organ failure, according the the package insert.

http://us.gsk.com/products/assets/us_lamictal.pdf

I think any drug can do just about anything in a small percentage of the population. There are always exceptions to the rule. Or exceptions to the probable side effects, as the case may be.

i was wondering

if maybe our gracious host might be able to post an "adult only" thread for this very reason. A place adults may post where it won't affect the youngins on here. There are some things that well, i don't think that our growing members should see. Also maybe there are some things that the adults would like to talk about without fear of influencing our younger members. Just a thought..

seecs i do agree that maybe with GC that maybe you need to look at the reasons why you want that "high". It could possibly be just your lifestyle. Or it could possibly be that you are self-medicating to cope with something that you can not deal with. I am not a counselor, but maybe you would want to take advantage of a trial period of counseling to see if that could be the cause. I AM NOT saying that you need this, but it could possible help. PM me if ya need to talk

if maybe our gracious host might be able to post an "adult only" thread for this very reason. A place adults may post where it won't affect the youngins on here. There are some things that well, i don't think that our growing members should see. Also maybe there are some things that the adults would like to talk about without fear of influencing our younger members. Just a thought..

If the younger members got permission from their parents to be on this site (which I am sure is a requirement if they were under 13 I think) then its fine.
Also, a parent has every right to monitor the content that their child views, and if the parent is okay with them viewing the material then its fine by me as well.

I also think that its good if a child sees things like this (a perfect example is this thread) because it goes to show them that so far nobody on this site condones the use of drugs with epilepsy that were not prescribed. I find alot of parents whose children have E do not disclose everything to them. How many kids know that if their seizure lasts too long they could die? SUDEP? that alcohol is bad bad bad with E and medication? all the things that a child/teen normally should know plus all the stuff they should know because they have a medical concern.

I appreciate all the responses and support. I have become much more accostumed to being sober. It is difficult at times when I am at a bar, party, or club, but I usually have a couple beers and never go too hard. I was seeking a "no risk" drug to replace alcohol in my life, but that concept is an oxymoron and I see that no drugs at all is the only real way to go with epilepsy.

that sounds really sensible now. I am proud of you, and you should be proud of yourself too, seecs ! WELL DONE, now let's hope you manage to stick to/with it. I wish it for you.
Hug
Anja x

Back
Top Bottom